+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: A Cleric Confusion

  1. #1
    Champion Boromir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    539

    Default A Cleric Confusion

    So i'm somewhat new to mmo's which has given me some guestions about clerics.

    1> Clerics wear cloth for int, but int is suppose to be more for mages? why is this

    To be continued.

  2. #2
    Rift Disciple spitfirek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    156

    Default

    For clerics:

    Int = 1 spell crit + 0.25 spell power + some mana
    Wis = 0.75 spell power + some extremely small amount of mana regen

    ***My numbers might be a little off, its late***

    Since mana regen was nerfed pretty hard, Wis has become pretty worthless for clerics(at least for ones that are not close to the crit cap). Int has always been a better stat though because of the way clerics are designed.

    If you look a a lot of the cleric dps souls, most of them have +crit damage or proc on crit abilities/passives. This means that crit actually plays a very active roll for the dps cleric. When you get +60% crit damage, or +30% dmg on your next spell after a crit, or your hardest hitting abilities can only be used after a crit... you want to crit as much as possible.

    Since Int = more crit, that is why a lot of clerics use cloth gear that is better itemized for us.

  3. #3
    Champion of Telara Alessar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boromir View Post
    1> Clerics wear cloth for int,
    No they don't. Not good ones, anyway. Clerics may choose some items (rings, accessories etc) that prioritize Int because it does help crit and mana pool(as noted by the reply above) but they should be sticking with their chain armor which typically has Wis:Int:End in a 3:2:3 ratio. However, I disagree with pretty much everything else that poster is saying going along with the idea clerics should wear cloth. Mana regen nerf? I missed that memo while rocking my way to 50 on my Cleric. Wear chain.
    Last edited by Alessar; 08-23-2011 at 12:30 PM.

  4. #4
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,011

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    No they don't. Not good ones, anyway. Clerics may choose some items (rings, accessories etc) that prioritize Int because it does help crit and mana pool(as noted by the reply above) but they should be sticking with their chain armor which typically has Wis:Int:End in a 3:2:3 ratio. However, I disagree with pretty much everything else that poster is saying going along with the idea clerics should wear cloth. Mana regen nerf? I missed that memo while rocking my way to 50 on my Cleric. Wear chain.
    Raid tier 1 cloth gloves.

    Good clerics realize more spell power, more spell crit, and more mana >>>>>>> not those.

  5. #5
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    461

    Default

    mana regen used to be much much much more than what it is now.

    as for chain unless you plan to tank don't bother with it.

    Most likely going through t1//t2 dungeons you are going to screw up and take some beatings so chain helps but that comes down to you screwing up.


    Once you get set in a role chain becomes mainly tank gear. cloth just has better itemization than chain and int benefits us quite well since it gives us 3 things we need instead of just 1.

    Obviously pvp is a completely different story of course. chain or die in that case.
    Last edited by XEshamX; 08-23-2011 at 07:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    No they don't. Not good ones, anyway. Clerics may choose some items (rings, accessories etc) that prioritize Int because it does help crit and mana pool(as noted by the reply above) but they should be sticking with their chain armor which typically has Wis:Int:End in a 3:2:3 ratio. However, I disagree with pretty much everything else that poster is saying going along with the idea clerics should wear cloth. Mana regen nerf? I missed that memo while rocking my way to 50 on my Cleric. Wear chain.
    Good clerics will wear whatever works best for their role. Both in game testing and simple math have proven that crit gear (often cloth) is superior to SP gear. Just because you like to roleplay a cleric in chain doesn't mean the ones who wear mathematically superior gear are worse players. Quite the contrary.

    Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amary View Post
    RIFT 1.3: [NA] 8:00am PDT 6/22/11 - [EU] - 1:00am GMT 23/6/11
    * Mana Regeneration: Updated the calculation of mana regeneration to include diminishing returns. This should only be noticeable at higher levels and gear quality.

  7. #7
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    24

    Default

    The problem only occurs when your guild doesn't let you roll on cloth. Then you're pigeonholed into bad gear.

  8. #8
    Rift Master Shannae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    645

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XEshamX View Post
    Obviously pvp is a completely different story of course. chain or die in that case.
    Actually, no. All of the most dangerous builds (with the notable exception of Marksman) rely on elemental damage, which ignores your armour value completely. If your build values crit over spell power at a rate greater than 2.8 (iirc) to one (thanks to the synergy crystal for rank 8) the cloth is better. Valor also scales faster than armour anyway.

    The only souls that benefit more from spell power than they do crit are Purifier (assuming you want to maximize shields, which leaves your actual healing throughput somewhat lackluster) and Druid (Satyr only scales with spell power) - Justicar obviously needs the chain anyway for tanking stats so is irrelevant to this discussion.
    Last edited by Shannae; 08-25-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

    73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

  9. #9
    Telaran
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shannae View Post
    Actually, no. All of the most dangerous builds (with the notable exception of Marksman) rely on elemental damage, which ignores your armour value completely. If your build values crit over spell power at a rate greater than 2.8 (iirc) to one (thanks to the synergy crystal for rank 8) the cloth is better. Valor also scales faster than armour anyway.

    The only souls that benefit more from spell power than they do crit are Purifier (assuming you want to maximize shields, which leaves your actual healing throughput somewhat lackluster) and Druid (Satyr only scales with spell power) - Justicar obviously needs the chain anyway for tanking stats so is irrelevant to this discussion.
    Cabalist? Cabalist is all about +% spell power contribution and since you're almost forced to use 51 pts you can attain no more than +20% crit damage.
    Also assassins use physical damage and who knows for how long rb will be fotm for warriors.

    I agree with int being good in pvp to get maximum mana but I still value sp higher than any stat even for builds that include overflow and +20% heal on crits. Only play cabalist or any of my healing builds. If I played more Inq maybe I'de reconsider.

  10. #10
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    No they don't. Not good ones, anyway. Clerics may choose some items (rings, accessories etc) that prioritize Int because it does help crit and mana pool(as noted by the reply above) but they should be sticking with their chain armor which typically has Wis:Int:End in a 3:2:3 ratio. However, I disagree with pretty much everything else that poster is saying going along with the idea clerics should wear cloth. Mana regen nerf? I missed that memo while rocking my way to 50 on my Cleric. Wear chain.
    Lol. Use cloth. That is all
    Bouse - Dayblind - Defiant - Cleric

  11. #11
    Champion j3w3l's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    520

    Default

    usually the ratio you look for is about 1sp=2sc
    in builds that favor crit ie shaman and inquisitor, i think the ratio is something like 1sp = 1.75 sc
    (you would obviously want a sp focus for 51 puri so values are irrelevant above)
    the int wis ratios were posted before so you can do the math
    usually the best items based on these ratios are cloth, but not always so

    this is for bis of course, if you couldnt care less about bis wear what you want
    there are quite a few bis lists to go from as well if thats your thing
    Last edited by j3w3l; 08-26-2011 at 07:41 AM.
    So long rift, may your potential someday be realised

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    190

    Default

    So as healing Cleric in the grand scheme of things, I too should go for Intelligence first, Wisdom second? :/
    Human Dignity + Compassion = PEACE

  13. #13
    Prophet of Telara ChainsawPlankton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,102

    Default

    crit is also nice for healing because of serendipity procs

  14. #14
    Rift Master Shannae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    645

    Default

    People need to understand something very clearly when doing this:

    Wisdom to softcap for throughput, then int/crit to it's cap for both throughput and longevity.

    Or in other words, those of you just starting experts and the like should focus on your chain still. When you start getting into raid gear, including items bought with marks, is when you've capped or nearly capped wisdom and Int overtakes Wis. A good rule of thumb is to shoot for 400 wisdom or so before seriously looking at the cloth drops.

    There are some builds centered around Shaman that may well value crit over sp from moment go all the way to the crit cap, but I don't have the gear nor math skills to figure it out myself. The reason for this being that Shamans "crits improve your damage" ability, Lust For blood, is only good for a single following attack instead of say, five seconds like the Inquisitor one. On top of +40% critical strike damage.
    "You're right. Technically he has the right to cry about it. And I have the right to mock him for crying about something stupid." ~Bridgeburner
    "Try to hate other people less, you might enjoy life more." ~Tenet

    73 Likes , 1 Infraction, Liked 228 posts, and counting...

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Great... so I get to compete with clerics now on my cloth drops. It's bad enough I only see 1 or 2 items drop for mages every 3 raids I go on in the first place.

    Aren't they working towards making leather armor only available to rogues since warriors seem to be trending towards wearing leather for dps purposes? I would think that would mean clerics will be "pidgeonholed" into only being able to wear chain as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts