+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 42
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Mage, or Cleric??

  1. #1
    Shadowlander SwallowMyBulletz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    36

    Question Mage, or Cleric??

    Hey guys, im new to the game and need some advice on an alt character. recently my two friends join rift and i decided to make a new chara, to help them along. i like the play style of both the mage and cleric but cant choose one. does anyone have any advice that could help me decide?
    Thanks =)

  2. #2
    Plane Touched Dwindarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Mage.

    Lots of utility, high ranged dps, and plenty of spells for certain situations.
    Much more interesting then a cleric.
    T H E C H R O N I C L E S O F D W I N D A R F
    __________________________________________________
    How Trion stole my Dwarf identity.
    The magical returning lvl 47 "Burlap" shoulderpads.
    Yay! T1 & T2 Mage gear!!!...wait..oh god...

  3. #3
    Telaran RealDajova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwindarf View Post
    Much more interesting then a cleric.
    Lies. We can tank... We can DPS... We can heal... We can be support...
    Livestream | YouTube | Twitter | Dajova <Consortium> - lvl 70 Cleric @ EU-Zaviel

  4. #4
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RealDajova View Post
    Lies. We can tank... We can DPS... We can heal... We can be support...
    Yes and you all do it so fraking slow yes boring very boring.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple Jabbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Cleric for sure.
    More versatile and way more fun.
    Mage = 24/7 press 1 1 2 2 1 2 3.
    Mage=one not useful heal soul (If anyone needs a healer, no one would chose Chloromancer over cleric healers).
    Mainly longrange dps, press 1 2 and 3. one support buffer/soul. meh boring.
    Cleric more interesting, melee dps, range dps, aoe dps, pure tank, summon dps, tank+healing, aoe healer, tank @ instance healer, shield healer, heal over time healer .

  6. #6
    Plane Walker Halman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    472

    Default

    The post above fits the primary reason chloros are not popular: 99% of players are ignorant wow boys. Any raid leader with a sense will have at least one chloro in his raid.
    For healing group content, any healer will do, even a bard.
    For pvp, I'd rather have a chloro plus a cleric then two clerics.

    Cleric more interesting, melee dps, range dps, aoe dps, pure tank, summon dps, tank+healing, aoe healer, tank @ instance healer, shield healer, heal over time healer .
    And one competitve pvp healing build with no possible variation. Sure you can make 10000 builds and they will be good for soloing stuff, maybe not even that, but once you are on the level of competitive builds, clerics have 3 or 4, and mages have 8 or 9 or even more.
    Last edited by Halman; 08-14-2011 at 08:46 AM.

  7. #7
    Champion minipara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    551

    Default

    Go cleric OP, you won't regret it.
    At least I don't.
    Last edited by minipara; 08-14-2011 at 08:45 AM.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple Artaios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    165

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by minipara View Post
    Go cleric OP, you won't regret it.
    At least I don't.
    I just dinged 50 and realized how much I regret it. Cleric is for face rolling ez mode laziness. No challenge whatsoever. Two button BOREFEST!

    Thankfully my mage is already 35.

  9. #9
    Ascendant Cromagis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,793

    Default

    If you want too PvP good go mage. :I That is if you can hit 50 before the next patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

    Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dwindarf View Post
    Mage.

    Lots of utility, high ranged dps, and plenty of spells for certain situations.
    Much more interesting then a cleric.
    Well if you have ADHD, and don't mind having to work 9x as hard to do what other classes can do better, roll a mage. I'm sorry guys but outside of CC(what cc? lol) is there anything mages are better at? They don't dps as well as warriors/scouts, they don't heal as well as clerics, and well if you are 100% set on being an Archon support, I guess you're good to go...

    Otherwise go with a cleric, being able to do all 4 roles on a fly is just extremely useful. You'll be able to explore more aspects of the game while solo than a mage will. (Cough, tank queue times). *cough cough*

    The only real downside to rolling a cleric is they tend to be overplayed. Then again, that alone should tell you something.
    Last edited by Jhaerik; 08-14-2011 at 09:59 AM.

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Jabbz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    The main thing with clerics is that they have Melee, range, heal and tank souls. If you feel like swapping things up you can just swap your role and have a way different playstyle. Mages = Ranged dps or support heal.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    Mage tends to be different forms of ranged DPS/support (support comes with Archon), and a healing soul. They can't tank.

    What a mage does well, you'll generally enjoy doing. However, you will often be quite 'squishy' and will require a pet (either Necromancer or Elementalist) to solo, or a Chloromancer to heal yourself.

    A cleric on the other hand, does all the roles, so there's that. They tend to take longer to kill things imo, but they also have more safety and flexibility.

    There will always be a need for mages, whether to fill in DPS (which will take time for you to fit in though, because many are DPS in Rift), to support (because many hate being Support), or to heal or offheal (there's always a liking for Chloromancer, even if they're not as highly good at healing then many clerics.

    Mage - DPS/support that can heal
    Cleric - Heal/Tank that can DPS
    Rogue - DPS/support that can tank
    Warrior - DPS/Tank that can support

    generally speaking.

    I'd sure want souls to be added to allow rogues to heal (medic!!), mages to tank (yes it can be done, use imagination), and warriors to heal (in their own unique way).

  13. #13
    Soulwalker Xhae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    5

    Default Just my opinon

    I very much enjoy being a Cleric. But to be fair, I haven't tried being a Mage.

    My impression of Mages is that that they are very OP. Having said that, I've been to warfronts where the highest dps has been a Cleric! Ironically, sometimes Mages heal the most in warfronts thanks to their party/ raid heals.

    At the end of the day, Rift is going to try keeping all classes balanced. It depends on what kind of role you like to play.

    Healing
    I personally like healing because I feel very useful to the team. It is quite the responsibility though. IMO, Clerics are better tank healers, but Mages have excellent and more consistent party/ raid heals.

    Tanking
    I tend to trust Warrior tanks over Cleric tanks, but that's just my own experience. (I hope I don't need to state the obvious that it also depends on the skill level of the player.)

    Mages cannot tank. So if you're interested in tanking, you can try being a Warrior, Rogue or Cleric.

    DPS
    Hands down Mages.

    Support
    Most people think Bards (Rogue) are the best support. I tend to agree, although it also depends on what the situation is. Clerics are good support if you're looking for AOE dps and also heals. Check out the "Duracell" build for more information.

    Although it is pretty satisfying seeing the damage counter when you're AOE-ing as a Duracell, it requires almost no skill to play! (I've done 1.8k dps as a Duracell at level 50 with T1/T2 gear. Just giving you an idea.)

    I'm not sure what Mages do as a support. I think it's the Archon spec for buffs and maybe Chloromancer for some heals. Usually Mages do not provide support though ;-) They tend to say "tell me when to support", but I'm usually geared enough to solo heal dungeons.

    Added note: Button mashing?
    A lot of builds, regardless of what class you are, will have button mashing. That is true especially where you have macros! The most important thing is that you get the rotation right. Once you have it, it'll pretty much be button mashing in a specific order. I don't think it's fair to criticise classes for mashing the same buttons since that goes for almost any class.

    I think healing and tanking will probably have the least boring rotations since sometimes your actions will depend on the situation. For example, when a teammate (other than tank) is losing health fast, you will probably need to press your "oh ****" button instead of putting your normal rotation of HOTS (which you will put on a tank).

    Or maybe you need to cleanse people when they are cursed or diseased. That would be outside of your ordinary rotation.

    Conclusion
    So the obvious conclusion is, choosing a class depends on the type of role you want to play. If you're looking for really good dps, I'd recommend Mage. If you enjoy tank healing (c.f. raid healing), I'd recommend Cleric.

    If you're not sure what role you really enjoy, I'd recommend going Cleric because you could try changing specs to tank, support, heal, or dps. Keep in mind that Clerics are 'famous' for healing for a reason.

    If you do go down the Cleric path, don't need on my **** if we're raiding together ;-)
    Last edited by Xhae; 08-14-2011 at 02:43 PM.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    146

    Default

    Depends on what you want. Here are some Pro's/Con's of each when comparing off the top of my head. I am trying to be as unbiased to either soul as possible with this.

    Cleric Pro's - Jack of all trades. You can tank, heal, melee dps and range dps. They have a higher survivability than Mages. Considered to be the best healing class in the game. Because of the versatility of this class, they are highly sought after for dungeons/parties/raids.

    Cleric Con's - With so many different build options, you have a lot of different gear to choose from and swap..this can get difficult to handle later on in progression PvE. Although Cleric's can do so much, they are widely considered to be under par of other callings in the Tanking and DPS department.

    Mage Pro's - Mages are considered to be the best Ranged DPS, if not best overall DPS in Rift. The Chloromancer soul is a very efficient healing soul, even considered to be on the same level as Cleric healing; the great thing about Chloro's are they can heal very well while putting out good DPS. Mages only need one type of gear set, this means you can play any Mage build you want and not worry about getting/swapping certain gear that fits that specific build. They are extremely sought after for PvE and PvP raids/dungeons/parties.

    Mage Con's - Lowest Survivability of any Class in Rift.

  15. #15
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Where the rump rests
    Posts
    135

    Default

    mages require more skill then clerics do. so if you want to play something that is fun, and requires thinking go mage.


    before you bash me about not having a cleric, i do have a cleric, granted itso nly lvl 39, and i do love playing it. Yes clerics can tank, Yes they an heal, but clerics are 1 button macro ******. Yes you can macro a lot of stuff to one button as a mage, but there are too many different things goin on that mages can help with.



    and mages have the best buffs in the game( and dont you say bards do, because bards dont have 10% attack/casting speed).
    Proper Grammar isnt hard to use, so please at least use proper punctuation, since its the only difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse; and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts