+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Number of classes, combinations and races

Default Number of classes, combinations and races

I am worried it's "little" to many classes in this game (up to 32, 8 classes x 4 pages)! Will they be diverse enough. I also read that you can combine them. Don't really know how it will work, but will it not be a risk that you loose your identity who you are in the world... I hope there will be limitation what you can choose between at least. I also hope each race can't be all classes like in EQ2. It shall mean something when you choose a race. It shall also mean something when you choose a class.
    For me Everquest was the best MMO ever or... EQ had no instances, no minimap, camping, good drops, wasn't quest based game and no level restriction on items !!! It had freedom !!!

There are 32 classes and you're worried they won't be diverse enough? /boggle
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Europe View Post
    There are 32 classes and you're worried they won't be diverse enough? /boggle
    I think what the OP means is that if you have a teddybear collection of 32 or a collection of 128 chances are much higher to end up with teddybears looking alike when the numbers get higher. I think the below picture illustrates my point quite nicely

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vnDOor7Jic...collection.jpg

Kind regards,
    Kalbuir

If the game remains with the idea that we can swap classes (the old "subclass card swapping and archetype changing in town" system that was disclosed pre-name change) than the more classes available just means you have more choice of what you want to be when you want to be it, however I do not know if this is still the case or if Trion have decided to go back to a more traditional static class system where you choose a class at creation and are stuck with it indefinitly.

I don't mind if each race can be any class - in real life anyone can hold any profession.

However, if there are racial attributes that benefit certain classes, that would help encourage class selection. If I want to be a dumb-as-a-brick-but-strong-as-an-ox Wizard with a small mana pool let me give it a try (and wish me luck finding a group ;) )

I liked the system in EQ (oh, and to the OP, they do have instances now), and I like the race/class system in Vanguard.

I did NOT like the way Star Wars Galaxies used a limited pool of skill points to let you build your class. I maxed out much too soon, and then what ? Give up points to learn something else ??? I ended up quitting after 10 months rather than give up skills I worked hard to master.

Usually in games as long as you have skills and to an extent decent gear, this outweighs bad racial/class combos which is good I think, I often like making the weirdest combinations I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    Usually in games as long as you have skills and to an extent decent gear, this outweighs bad racial/class combos which is good I think, I often like making the weirdest combinations I can think of.
    I have to disagree with you here.

One of the most important reasons for even having different races is the variety of strengths and weaknesses in each one.

Part of playing your class to its fullest potential is to choose the right race, along with gear and attribute allocations.

Using my example above, why should my "dumb-as-a-brick-but-strong-as-an-ox Wizard with a small mana pool" have the same DPS as another Wizard who chose a race more suitable for the class ?

But I don't mind having the option to make weird class/race combos for those who like to be 'special' ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I have to disagree with you here.

One of the most important reasons for even having different races is the variety of strengths and weaknesses in each one.

Part of playing your class to its fullest potential is to choose the right race, along with gear and attribute allocations.

Using my example above, why should my "dumb-as-a-brick-but-strong-as-an-ox Wizard with a small mana pool" have the same DPS as another Wizard who chose a race more suitable for the class ?

But I don't mind having the option to make weird class/race combos for those who like to be 'special' ;)
    It probably was just the case of the mmo's i've played that the racials were not that different amongst races. Might be +1 point in a skill or maybe 0.5% higher chance to critically hit but it was never substantial enough to warrant worrying about which race you were. Only exception I can think of was in Vanilla WoW that Dwarf Priests had a fear ward that othe rpriests did not... however once WoW opened it up so all priests could have this skill it no longer mattered what race you were.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    It probably was just the case of the mmo's i've played that the racials were not that different amongst races. Might be +1 point in a skill or maybe 0.5% higher chance to critically hit but it was never substantial enough to warrant worrying about which race you were. Only exception I can think of was in Vanilla WoW that Dwarf Priests had a fear ward that othe rpriests did not... however once WoW opened it up so all priests could have this skill it no longer mattered what race you were.
    Well like in EQ rolling a human warrior compared to an Ogre warrior was ughhhh just as in Vanguard rolling a gnome warrior compared to an Orc/Varathari warrior is ugh...

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Well first I thought they were only going to have 8 classes. I thought it was a clever decision until I discover it's probably many more. With few classes they can work through each one of them. To change 8 classes is much less work than changing 32 classes. Especially regarding balancing and make so each class become special. I think they are taking a huge risk by having so many classes. Do we have afford with that?
    For me Everquest was the best MMO ever or... EQ had no instances, no minimap, camping, good drops, wasn't quest based game and no level restriction on items !!! It had freedom !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Merillo View Post
    Well first I thought they were only going to have 8 classes. I thought it was a clever decision until I discover it's probably many more. With few classes they can work through each one of them. To change 8 classes is much less work than changing 32 classes. Especially regarding balancing and make so each class become special. I think they are taking a huge risk by having so many classes. Do we have afford with that?
    Since we have no real idea, confirmation how the class system will be, all we know is that it will be unique. It is kinda hard to alraedy say that there is no way of balancing it or that it will be much more work. If they would for example use a multi classing system from the old Final Fantasy series each class could be combined with another. Each class wouldn't not have to be as unique as a other but just have different specilization. So then having 32 very unique classes with unique mechanism is not really needed then it becomes more about different abilities, buffs and no longer about a unique mechanic.

Ofcourse this is only a guess and we have no way of knowing what class system we will get and even IF it wil be 32 classes, I suspect that we will be getting atleast a short awnser about this subject: just before, during or just after the E3. Since this is probably the most fundamental part of RIFT besides the rifts themselves.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Telaran

Many classes is a good thing IMHO.

All classes dont have to be balanced 1 on 1 .... Rock paper Sissors :-)

I say the more the merrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I think what the OP means is that if you have a teddybear collection of 32 or a collection of 128 chances are much higher to end up with teddybears looking alike when the numbers get higher. I think the below picture illustrates my point quite nicely

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vnDOor7Jic...collection.jpg

Kind regards,
    Kalbuir
    LOL you just wanted to share the pic of your bedroom with everyone! You spammy little gnome! :P

Magik of Xanadu

Of course it could be 32 classes and 8 races = 4 classes per race. Tank type, healer type, DPS type, CC? with variations on a theme for each race's version. Just surmising (although I surmised that originally in another thread *sighs*)

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    Of course it could be 32 classes and 8 races = 4 classes per race. Tank type, healer type, DPS type, CC? with variations on a theme for each race's version. Just surmising (although I surmised that originally in another thread *sighs*)
    Lore for the Blade Dancer seems to suggest than more than just elves can play this class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast