+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need suggestions for tank class Cleric vs. Warrior

Soulwalker

Default I need suggestions for tank class Cleric vs. Warrior

Tanks are rare in my battlegroup. With my Mage it can take a couple of hours to get in to a dungeon due to the tank shortage. So I am looking to roll a a class I can use as a tank and looking for suggestions. I plan to use this tank in both dungeons and PvP. Here is my delimma...

Warriors are the ultimate tanks. A few combinations of souls like Rvr/Pally/Vk can handle just about anything PvP or Dungeon. However, the only alternate role for a warrior is DPS which I already do quite well with my Mage.

Clerics can spec Justicar and tank too. With other souls they can heal and dps making them the most versitile class in the game as far as roles. I like the idea of switching it up and throwing heals in warfronts or dungeons. However, I've been in so many dungoens where a cleric signs up as a tank and cant make it past the first pull. I fear the Justicar soul will be a mediocre tank and probably not stand up as a main tank in Teir 1 & 2 dungeons.

So I am leaning Cleric due to versatility. It just seems like it would be more fun to play and not get pigeon holed in to one role. Bottom line is I want a tank that can handle just about anything. Comments Please...
    Last edited by coprolite72; 08-11-2011 at 05:52 AM.

Clerics are fine in dungeons. You have experienced bad players.
    Hiphop - Cleric
    Nasa - Warrior
    of <Dominance>, Faemist

since you plan to pvp id go with cleric, they are the best at everything (except tanking) but now they have no threat issues (with 1.4) so they are decent tanks now. i have a 50 cleric and warrior and i perfer to tank on my warrior but do anything else on my cleric as they are more versatile.
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Soulwalker

While I can not talk about T1 or T2 dungeons yet since my cleric is not ready for those yet, I have played as a cleric tank and they seem to work fine. Agro can be annoying at times, but we get 2 AoE taunts on 1 minute cds to help us get that agro back. Also if you have a saboteur in your party they can add to your agro. You should still be fine without them, but if you have a rogue friend that loves the sabo spec you will complement each other nicely.

If you want to try tanking as a cleric I would suggest you go for it. You can also learn to heal and dps with the cleric so you can queue as everything so you are not stuck doing the same thing over and over. As far as tanking goes there is a decent guide on the forums that might help you.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...rsion-3-a.html

I read that when I first started tanking and it helped me quite a bit. The first instance I kinda scratched my head some as I learned the skills, but after that it was much easier.

Warrior- Higher block ratio.
    Cleric- More useful for entire party due to lots of heals and more fun to play.

Prophet of Telara

look at the recruitment forum... see how many guilds are recruiting cleric tanks over warrior tanks.

yeah, exactly.

The main problem with cleric tanking is the don't get a ranged aoe pull until they put 44 into justicar. So dungeons like dd and it that have lots of adds are significantly harder to tank as cleric compared to warrior.

I have tried Cleric tanking and found it hard when initiating a big pull to gather up all the mobs without a few going after a player. It could also be I am not using the right spec. There are some really good Cleric tanks out there. The one in our guild has done some tanking in GP/RoS. He also was able to tank all of GP. The only bad thing for clerics is damage mitigation. It seems warriors are able to stack better resistance up then a cleric. Over all I do like my cleric because I am always changing my specs up and all the different roles we can play (melee/ranged dps, heal, hybrid (not support), and tank).

Laerke 50 Cleric Rank 8
    Gabriella 50 Warrior Rank Nubbins
    4/4 DH 4/4 GP 5/5 GSB 4/4 RoS 1/11 HK

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by KDM255 View Post
    I have tried Cleric tanking and found it hard when initiating a big pull to gather up all the mobs without a few going after a player. It could also be I am not using the right spec. There are some really good Cleric tanks out there. The one in our guild has done some tanking in GP/RoS. He also was able to tank all of GP. The only bad thing for clerics is damage mitigation. It seems warriors are able to stack better resistance up then a cleric. Over all I do like my cleric because I am always changing my specs up and all the different roles we can play (melee/ranged dps, heal, hybrid (not support), and tank).
    Magic mitigation, not damage mitigation. Clerics are fairly in-line with warriors for physical damage, but have lower magic migation (rogues are the opposite with terrible physical mitigation but very good magic mitigation.

All 3 tank classes (warrior, rogue, cleric) work well enough for all 5-man dungeons. Rogues need to be a little more careful (rogues go splat w/o their buffs), but all 3 work fine. If you were worried about tanking in raids it would be a different story. At the raid level clerics fall behind warriors (and rogues) on mobs with lots of magic damage and rogues fall behind warriors (and clerics) on mobs with lots of physical damage. So a warrior is always a decent choice for MT in raids, but either rogue or cleric is at a disadvantage depending on the particular boss' weight between physical and magic attacks.

Also, as KDM255 says, as a cleric you'll need to learn to LoS pull mobs and tell the dps (and hot-based clerics) to wait until the mobs get to you to start doing things. Once you hit level 44 and get rebuke it won't be much of an issue, but below that you're going to have to be careful with groups of mobs (particularly with casters).
    Last edited by Minerian; 08-11-2011 at 12:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread