+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Marksman

I'm more than certain that the Marksman with the pet was a Ranger Unless I can get get absolute confirmation out of someone's mouth that was at GamesCom.

*cough* A dev post here would be fantastic *cough*
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Rift Master

Anyone help feel like a ranged + upclose class isn't going to be that viable? Sure it would be nice to have the ability to hit someone at distance if they start running from a upclose class but if they don't it seems like a complete waste. Unless they make it so you can shot your box face to face but again that seems like a waste to me.

I personally think I will either go all out range or all out melee. The thought of a Ranger+Marksman sounds like a lot of fun to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Konji View Post
    Anyone help feel like a ranged + upclose class isn't going to be that viable? Sure it would be nice to have the ability to hit someone at distance if they start running from a upclose class but if they don't it seems like a complete waste. Unless they make it so you can shot your box face to face but again that seems like a waste to me.

I personally think I will either go all out range or all out melee. The thought of a Ranger+Marksman sounds like a lot of fun to me.
    It might not be viable if you split the souls 50/50 but why not spec a little into another soul tree to get some utility? I'm sure that not all abilities are offensive attacks. Part of the game is weighing the options.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Helspyre View Post
    It might not be viable if you split the souls 50/50 but why not spec a little into another soul tree to get some utility? I'm sure that not all abilities are offensive attacks. Part of the game is weighing the options.
    Well no doubt Rift gives you the option to spec how you see fit. I just don't see a range+upclose melee class build working out too well. Granted if you only wanted access to say a snare or root and spec Ranger or Marksman for that that might work but I imagine trying to build a class good at both is going to leave a lot on the table of un used skills.

A melee+ranged spec may be very attractive for PVP, to avoid a thing we all know and love known as the deadzone.
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Yes and no. The benefit will be that you are a hybrid of both, you can do range or do melee. The question will be; does the group you are in need that at that time? As with any group member you are only "good for the group" as long as your skills are used. Say you are fighting a group of mobs; the meleeists turn and run away quickly when low on HP and there are critters that fight at range. Well, you've got both covered, you can melee with the meleeists until they run, thwap em on the way out with range, and you can also match range with those who are ranged. Useful. If, on the other hand, you are doing things like fighting a heavy melee only critter, then no, half of your skills (say you split evenly) would be "wasted". (And if you don't think some range is useful as a meleeist try playing WoW with a warrior and no ranged skill. You'll get frustrated quickly. I guarenetee it. )

The same is true for any pure class as well though. Say you've got a healer with you and your group isn't taking damage, is there something for the healer to do? Can they still contribute? What about if you are an off-tank and the mobs are in small enough groups only one tank is needed. Or you are a second Rogue that does the same thing the main rogue does just at a slightly lower level. Sure, it's not the same kind of ranged/melee question, but the question of 'is class x useful' is just as situational if you are splitting a class or not.

Sure, it becomes a more complex question when you split something like range (or magic) and melee, but you have to remember that the tradeoff for that is you gain versaitlity. My favorite thing to do in D&D games is to split about 50/50 Warrior and Rogue. What this gets me is a character that's got stealth, so I can sneak past critters, disarm traps, and do sneak attacks, but also a character who can stand toe-to-toe once the fight has begun because I do have a bit more survivability due to the light chain armor, as well as doing a bit more damage due to dual wielding heavier weapons. Am I as strong as a full Warrior in melee? Certainly not. When the element of stealth is lost I'm toast. Same with the Rogue side, if a trap is too tricky, or an opponent can see through some stealth I'll be spotted. But the mix of skills is what makes the class worth it for me. As above, the situation will really more define if that choice is worth it or not.

Here though with Rift, I think there will also be the very important question of; are you having fun playing a character like that? I think a lot of the game will focus more on fun than 'the perfect template of class splitting and talents'.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

I wonder what abilities will differentiate the marksman from the ranger. Maybe it's a faction thing? Or maybe the marksmen are almost exclusively ranged DPS while the ranger can melee a bit when needed. Exciting stuff either way.
    FALLOUT
    falloutclan.net

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Oakenfold View Post
    I wonder what abilities will differentiate the marksman from the ranger. Maybe it's a faction thing? Or maybe the marksmen are almost exclusively ranged DPS while the ranger can melee a bit when needed. Exciting stuff either way.
    My guess would be pet stuff replaced by more ranged attacks/skills. Probably longer range? Rely more on kiting since no pet for tanking. Just stuff that makes using the ranged weapon better. Outright damage bonus for ranged weapons maybe. Stuff for kiting even, root and snare breakers, fast foot speed, maybe even a reverse lunge or something.
    I'm not talking about PvP, because investing ones self in PvP on a RPG/Equipment based game is for masochists.

My speculation is that the Marksmen advance soul will be a expansion of the Ranged DPS with buffs and extra attacking skills or taliored for CCs abilities, traps, snares, debuffing ranged skills

Shadowlander

Did someone say guns are in this game?
    Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
    Did someone say guns are in this game?
    Serious?
    Yes The Defiant, specifically the Eth, are very technology based and guns have been confirmed to be in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Tramell View Post
    My speculation is that the Marksmen advance soul will be a expansion of the Ranged DPS with buffs and extra attacking skills or taliored for CCs abilities, traps, snares, debuffing ranged skills
    yeah thats what im guessing as well, if i had to guess maybe higher single target damage than a ranger but with more CC oriented spells to keep enemies away from him/her

I am hoping maybe stealth as well hehe but if not i can get that via one of the other classes.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Quote Originally Posted by Apoth View Post
    yeah thats what im guessing as well, if i had to guess maybe higher single target damage than a ranger but with more CC oriented spells to keep enemies away from him/her

I am hoping maybe stealth as well hehe but if not i can get that via one of the other classes.
    I really hope the Marksman class offers stealth. It is my plan to combine Blade Dancer - Rift Stalker- Marksman to get a class that can do serious Ranged DPS, serious melee DPS, yet able to defend. If Marksman (or any of those other classes) can stealth . . . I will pwn all . . .

I'm in the same boat as Apoth and Threather. At the same time I highly doubt all rogues are getting a stealth, I'd like for there to be something to avoid needing to spec into say, Assassin, and investing a lot of levels there. So probably have a higher cooldown, easier to see at a close distance, etc.

If the name of the game requires Marksman to spec into a different class though, then so be it.

Still haven't found any Marksman information out of the conventions.

One of the con-goers said they had some Marks footage but I have yet to see it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast