+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage or Cleric for healing/support alt?

Default Mage or Cleric for healing/support alt?

Can't decide between the two - my main is a rogue but I'd like to try something different for a while. As my limited understanding of the casters has it, clerics have more variety in terms of healing roles (main tank, raid healing, etc) but mages have more support specs. Apart from the obvious fact that mages don't melee, how do the two stack up against each other?

Soulwalker

Kinda hard to compare the two. Clerics have a ton of flexibility for groups and several viable healing options. Mages really only have the one line. Both of them can do well with support. I played a mage and enjoyed it quite a bit but...

No matter what I'm doing with my Cleric, it just feels like I'm winning.

Rift Disciple

I preferred Playing a Cleric but that is mostly due to my playstyle. Clerics are easy to learn and are viable as both Main Healing and Support Healing, though it can be difficult to register as a Support in the LFG tool (need a certain amount of pts. in Justicar). Whereas Mages are really only viable as Support until the higher levels. Only when the Mages attacks stop being resisted can they heal effectively.

However the main problem I have with mages is that they have so many 2-3 second cast spells that they feel so slow to play, compared to Clerics. If you have that issue then definitely pick a Cleric.

Mages have archon. Clerics have heals.. and off heals.

Chloro can raid heal better than an anythingicar. But they can't main heal better than a cleric.

You will never run out of mana as a mage. Clerics need pots or VoJ/Mental Flare in long raid fights.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-08-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Shadowlander

I have a 50 mage and cleric and have used both in every role possible in raid settings. The answer is easy, roll Cleric. I get to Tank, Mainheal, Offheal, and DPS all in one fight (when doing tank swaps and switching between healing and dps/tank modes (you are allowed to swap shield for totem in combat and change "stance" to become a fulll fledged healer/dps while not actively tanking).. As mage after learning archon and chloro and the default mage aoe dps spec, there was nothing interesting to do. There is always something new or interesting to do as a cleric and that isn't changing anytime soon. I have a 50 of each lvl, if I could re-do things I would just keep the Cleric. Mage is fun, but just too limited in comparison to stay interesting, even if they weren't gimped right now.
    Last edited by P0wnStar; 08-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread