+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: The New Method of Soul Acquisition.

Champion

Default The New Method of Soul Acquisition.

It is too late now to go back, since Trion has appealed to the lazy masses. Yes, another complaint thread. I have started relatively few, and tend to take Trion's side on a lot of the ones to which I reply. This, obviously, is not one of those cases.

I know that I am not alone in saying the old way of gaining your souls was a lot more interesting and fun than "just go buy them". Trion changed it because it was "too confusing" for some people. Too confusing? They have the quest givers pop up on your mini map by default. You would see them when running around Sanctum, or in the case of the mage, Quicksilver College. You would say, "Oh look! A quest!" You would talk to the quest giver. You would complete the quest. You would gain a new soul. Confusing?

Maybe they should take out the World Event dailies too, and just sell the currency?

Heck, lets take out all those confusing quests!

I don't like the gerbil wheel analogy because, to be honest, it is pretty friggin accurate. If you get confused on the gerbil wheel, you probably won't figure out the food dish either.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

If it was confusing they should provide more information for the player on where and how to get the remaining souls. I really liked the way you got new souls before. Buying them is just like buying another spell rank, very shrugworthy. And Rift really doesn't need more shrugworthiness.

I liked the old way also. This will be a setback for new players that don't have the CE mount also. They will have to choose between getting all the souls or saving longer for a mount. Not everyone will have a friend to give them mount money.

Default As well

Liked the old way as well. Didn't think it was very well fleshed out, but was a lot more interesting than the current way.
    No matter how dark the night, morning always comes. And our journey begins anew...

God forbid people you know..look around, talk to npcs or even *gasp* ask other players questions, that sort of thing. Especially an npc that said <Bard> or <Necromancer> or whatever under its name if the player was interested in finding the soul for a ..bard or necromancer, etc. Hell in everquest you had to have long conversations with npcs and say the right words to them just to find out if they had a quest at all! I was actually hoping they'd make the soul quests even more difficult and involving, make it feel like an accomplishment and a nice chunk of backstory for each soul. Ah well what can you do =/

Sword of Telara

Also a fan of the old way. The only problem I had as a newbie was finding out how to get the souls. That easily could have been rectified by having the main class trainer (which everyone runs to) tell you who to speak to next. On my latest alt I bought the souls and got the Souful achievement. Yeah, what an accomplishment, I spent 1P!

I have two new alts that are both around level 18. Both have only the three souls they got originally. The buying and selling of souls? As a Guardian that just feels a little wrong.

Prophet of Telara StealthStalker's Avatar

I'm in agreement.

Don't forget to support Dual Targeting in SWTOR and Prime Online.
    We didn't get it here, but perhaps we can help make the next games into what they should be.

Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar

I agree. Change it back to an improved version of the old way.

I really hope Trion doesn't continue going down the path of dumbing the game down for the masses.

I don't understand the change either, confusing? not reallly. Sadly it's what seems to be the trend now, dumb everything down so you won't have to bother thinking at all.

Soulwalker

Yeh I usually agree with Trions decisions, but not this one. The old way was a lot more entertaining and the new way just feels too easy. I don't even understand why they changed it...

/signed.

Don't make things too easy. Even making them cost more is not an exchange for good hard work. I'm also a child of the Everquest generation. I love the epic quests. Multi-zone involvement, group quests, and mobs that can't be solo'd.

If there is an over-whelming nation of people who prefer "give me nao, no work for me!" then I propose making a set of servers with more involved gameplay. Possibilities could include:

• Earning faction standing before gaining entry to cities with exceptional quest rewards
    • "Choose your own adventure" type quest lines that affect reputation gains/losses and have MORE THAN 1 IDEAL OUTCOME. I understand as long as people can theorycraft, there will always be threads about the 'best this and that'.
    • I love the soul system. So far many have found non-mainstream builds and are still doing great dmg/healing/tanking. I am not a fan of the cookie cutter build and do my best to find something better. Make ultimate soul weapons/armor that can be used only by those souls. "Requires XX points to be spent in <soul>". So what if you find a build that does more DPS later in life, adapt or give up the weapon. You put in the effort and now its worthless? It's a game, not NASA.
    Last edited by Spekk; 08-07-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Soulwalker

Default Definately agreed

the old way was fun and innovative and encouraged people to take part in the games main feature, the rifts!

There are quite a few things in this game that are non-intuitive, and the old way was one. But it was interesting once I figured out what needed to be done. There is nothing interesting about the new way. Changing it just robbed the game of a bit of its flavor.
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

Someone mentioned in another thread that both options should be available. Buy them for us alt o holics who have the plat to spare, or make them quests for the new players who don't.

Win for all.
    "Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."
    Charles Bukowski

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast