+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A healers observation of the various tank classes.

Shield of Telara

Default A healers observation of the various tank classes.

Ill keep this short, as a healer I would prefer a warrior hands down for the role of a tank because Rogues and Clerics are much too squishy compared to a warrior. For instance the other day I was running a T2 random with a Rogue tank in full tier 2 raid gear for the first half of the zone, and then a Warrior with Tier 2 expert gear took his place and I can tell you that I was much happier to have the warrior tanking because he was nowhere near as squishy as the rogue.

Also to top it off Justicars just plain suck for pulling.... They pull 1 npc and the rest go and kill the Cleric that put the HOT on the Justicar, oh and even with the patch they still have issues with aggro management. While a warrior on the other hand just pulls with the Reaver dots and he snags all of the npc's aggro, so that the Cleric can rest safe. Or the Warrior just summons the ranged units to him and pops a spotters order when the melee npc's get near him to snag them also...

While a Rogue is pretty decent at pulling, they seriously suck when it comes to adds and aggro management, because they dont have the AOE threat tools that a warrior has.

So my statement to Trion is that in the future there needs to be an update to address these issues with Cleric/Rogue versus Warrior tanking to bring them up to par with their plate wearing counterparts, because as it stands now there isnt really a reason to pick a rogue/cleric over a warrior any day.
    Last edited by jereome; 08-05-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by jereome View Post
    Ill keep this short, as a healer I would prefer a warrior hands down for the role of a tank because Rogues and Clerics are much too squishy compared to a warrior. For instance the other day I was running a T2 random with a Rogue tank in full tier 2 raid gear for the first half of the zone, and then a Warrior with Tier 2 expert gear took his place and I can tell you that I was much happier to have the warrior tanking because not only was he easier to keep up.

Also to top it off Justicars just plain suck for pulling.... They pull 1 npc and the rest go and kill the Cleric that put the HOT on the Justicar, oh and even with the patch they still have issues with aggro management. While a warrior on the other hand just pulls with the Reaver dots and he snags all of the npc's aggro, so that the Cleric can rest safe. Or the Warrior just summons the ranged units to him and pops a spotters order when the melee npc's get near him to snag them also...

While a Rogue is pretty decent at pulling, they seriously suck when it comes to adds and aggro management, because they dont have the AOE threat tools that a warrior has.

So my statement to Trion is that in the future there needs to be an update to address these issues with Cleric/Rogue versus Warrior tanking to bring them up to par with their plate wearing counterparts, because as it stands now there isnt really a reason to pick a rogue/cleric over a warrior any day.
    You have played with awful Justiciars and Rogues.

I am the MT of a 13/13 Raid-clearing Guild as a Cleric, and we baby-stepped through the progression curve, with a Cleric MT'ing all the way. Fact of the sad matter is that 90% of Cleric tanks don't grasp that their self healing is a part of their expected inherent mitigation, and that we are not in fact warriors or rogues. With 1.3, this was further fixed by introducing Rebuke (The only element we lacked, a ranged aoe taunt.)

At minimum, any Justiciar worth their salt should be able to at least pull 4 ranged mobs/4 mobs at range, via lead with BoD; Sanction; Sovreignity; Bolt of Rad (Taunt). This all happens in 4gcd's; not long enough for you to die as the healer, whatsoever. At all.

Just checking in with some input from a (non-idiot) Cleric Tank. Also, 450% threat in 1.4. Haha, now we're just OP. I take less damage than my equally geared Warrior counterpart, also.

You need to play with a Cleric who knows how to play.

There's no excuse any more not to have group aggro on the pull. That challenge was fixed in 1.3.

That said, the cooldown on Rebuke could do with being reduced to allow us to use it to make every pull, since it's the key.
    "Can you see the flag rising up beyond the smoke
    Of dying authors burning books? Was a problem what they wrote
    The flag is hard to read, all flags look the same
    Covered in the blood of the faithless and insane"
    Operation Ivy - Missionary

You've been playing with some bad Rogue tanks. I just ran eCC earlier today with a rogue tank in half blues and aside from a disconnect it was a very smooth, quick run. From the perspective of a Chloromancer, Warrior and Rogue tanks might as well be identical for the healing burden in T2s.

I can't speak on Cleric tanks, though, as the only one I've encountered is just an all-around bad player.
    Last edited by Zarokima; 08-05-2011 at 04:46 PM.

Agree with above, I've tanked everything up to HK. No reason other than being bad that clerics should have any threat issues any more.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by jereome View Post
    They pull 1 npc and the rest go and kill the Cleric that put the HOT on the Justicar, oh and even with the patch they still have issues with aggro management.
    You could also learn when and where it's inadvisable to pre-HoT. That might help.

Cleric tanks should be MUCH safer for the healer. The reason for this is that they should out-threat you on healing only. That means that any adds that come during the fight will head directly to the cleric tank. You have to be a very bad cleric tank for this not to happen now. You have to heal 5.5x more than us to get initial aggro and 7.15x more than us to take aggro off us. Threat is a non issue for even face-rolling cleric tanks.

A warrior on the other hand, has to either hit the add or be in range of the Spotter's Order. If an add appears and they don't notice, it's curtains for either the healer or the support. The warrior will have no threat on it at all. In xCC first boss (the one where the birds come during the fight) I didn't have to even taunt the birds as a cleric tank. They just came to me by default.

I agree that warrior is incredibly easy to play, but playing cleric is now very easy too. Too easy in my opinion. Unfortunately, the game has become much like WoW after they introduced random dungeons. Everyone just wants to rush through it for gear and plaques. Random PuGs are full of rude impatient people who have no appreciation of skill, because there doesn't need to be any because they have made threat a pointless mechanic. Tank and dps just hit stuff as hard and fast as they can. Healer heals. No challenge, no interest.

Ho hum.
    Last edited by Knobby; 08-05-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    Physician, heal thyself

Rift Disciple

Thread backfire.
    Rage of Dragons (Dayblind - PvP)
    Formerly Leaf/Faze on Reclaimer.
    Leafe - 50 Rogue
    Phraze - 50 Cleric

+ Reply to Thread