+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bored With DPS - Tank or Heal?

Soulwalker

Default Bored With DPS - Tank or Heal?

Hey folks,

I've played a few different MMOs over the years and for some reason I've always played DPS classes. Guess it just appeals to me. However I'm getting pretty bored of my rogue at the moment so I've decided to roll a new character and either tank or heal. I don't have much experience with tanking (a few level 30-40 dungeons in WoW as a pally was about it) and virtually no experience with heals. And I can't decide which to play :P

So I decided I'd ask you guys your opinions on a couple things. Which do you think is more challenging/rewarding? And also I'm planning to roll a warrior if I decide to tank, and for healing I know cleric is the obvious choice, but I'm wondering: Can a chloro mage compete with a cleric for heals at all?

And lastly, which do you think is in higher demand in Rift? Particularly for expert dungeons/raiding which is what I plan to be doing at endgame.

Thanks for the help in advance

In regards to calling comparison: mage = cleric for healing. warrior = rogue = cleric until endgame raiding, from which it slowly becomes warrior > rogue > cleric the higher tier you go.

Tank is the role in the most demand right now

Warrior tanking is honestly not that challenging. You will press about 5 buttons total and have enough threat on every mob to not do anything again for the rest of the fight (at least in the higher levels this is the case). Clerics and Rogues have it rougher in different aspects, especially AoE threat. So if challenge = rewarding for you, then go rogue or cleric

In my personal opinion, mage healing is more challenging and rewarding than cleric. The skills are more fun, but you have less versatility than a cleric. Ever since the chloro nerf in 1.3, we can't both main and raid heal at the same time T_T. But they are generally much much better raid healers than clerics, while slightly inferior in main healing. You will also never run out of mana as a mage healer.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-05-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by KiDisaster View Post
    Hey folks,

I've played a few different MMOs over the years and for some reason I've always played DPS classes. Guess it just appeals to me. However I'm getting pretty bored of my rogue at the moment so I've decided to roll a new character and either tank or heal. I don't have much experience with tanking (a few level 30-40 dungeons in WoW as a pally was about it) and virtually no experience with heals. And I can't decide which to play :P

So I decided I'd ask you guys your opinions on a couple things. Which do you think is more challenging/rewarding? And also I'm planning to roll a warrior if I decide to tank, and for healing I know cleric is the obvious choice, but I'm wondering: Can a chloro mage compete with a cleric for heals at all?

And lastly, which do you think is in higher demand in Rift? Particularly for expert dungeons/raiding which is what I plan to be doing at endgame.

Thanks for the help in advance
    Tanking and healing are about the same in difficulty in my opinion. Tanking is difficult, because you have to know the gneral pull order, what bosses do, and basic strategy.

Healing on the other hand, is pretty much dependant on your group. Sometimes you'll be bored out of your mind, since the group outgears the instance, and other times you'll be prying your heal lands.

Honestly, I like tanking more, since you have more control on the outcome of the run. A good tank can usually do ok with a bad healer, but a good healer will struggle with a bad tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingbear View Post
    Tanking and healing are about the same in difficulty in my opinion. Tanking is difficult, because you have to know the gneral pull order, what bosses do, and basic strategy.

Healing on the other hand, is pretty much dependant on your group. Sometimes you'll be bored out of your mind, since the group outgears the instance, and other times you'll be prying your heal lands.

Honestly, I like tanking more, since you have more control on the outcome of the run. A good tank can usually do ok with a bad healer, but a good healer will struggle with a bad tank.
    I agree with this for the most part. People think tanking is difficult because it makes you the leader and therefore you have a lot of responsibility. Really, you stand where you're supposed to, do your rotation, and hit a CD/taunt when needed. Which is pretty much everything a dps does except for the taunting and you have more CDs and use them more often. But it's amazing how much more you notice as a tank. Because you are in control, it's much easier to tell what went wrong. This also means that ******* dps'ers are much more annoying as a tank.

Healing you have to watch everybody's health (rather than your own and the mob's), and your rotation isn't set (unless you're exclusively tank healing, but nobody likes that). It's also hard to tell who's at fault: all you know is the person got hurt and you couldn't keep them up. After a while you can get a feel for whether the person should be going down that fast (but I still don't like losing people).

Tanking may be stressful when your health spikes or people pull off you. Unless you have an over geared group, healing will be always stressful, with some periods even more stressful than others.

I was a resto druid in WoW, so I adore my Warden/Sent. The -icar specs are also quite fun. Clerics are great because they're versatile healers and are really easy to level ; )

Telaran

Tanks need to do a lot more out of combat than anyone else in terms of moving the group, deciding when to pull, setting pace, and determining how you want to fight the mob. Once you actually get into the fight, tanking (as a warrior) is pretty trivial unless you want to be an actual leader and keep an eye on what everyone else is doing so that you know how is/is not going wrong (I did this since my tank spec was an alt, so I knew what things should/shouldn't look like). When actually in the fight, healing is by far the most demanding role, primarily because it is so very reactive. You only ever know what you're going to do next, never what you're going to cast after that, unlike dps, tank, and usually support where you just have a rotation, and you only rarely alter it to use a utility/long cooldown spell. Healing is all about reading exactly what the situation is and deciding on what spell to cast next within the 1.5 sec. GCD. If you pick wrong, you can very easily cause a wipe, or at lesat to have someone die.

As to the difference between mage/cleric healers. Chloros just have far less tools in their toolbox for dealing with different situations. They can generate enough hps to keep everyone up, most any build can. The trick is making sure that you can keep people alive long enough for things to even out. Chloros just don't handle the consistent spike damage as well. This is partly because they don't have a lot of consistant non-CD hots, unlike clerics which have access to wardens providing tons of spamable hots.
    Last edited by Servy; 08-05-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    Clerics and Rogues have it rougher in different aspects, especially AoE threat.
    lol soul drain

If you're having trouble with threat, standing around to let of a 2 sec cast while the mobs run past you isn't the wisest idea.

if defiant go heals please lol ..

+ Reply to Thread