+ Reply to Thread

Thread: (Please) Help me decide...

Default (Please) Help me decide...

Hello folks,

I have played off and on since release. I have leveled each of the four callings at least into the 20s or higher within the first month of the game's existence. Due to a change in some real life priorities and computer issues, I took about two months away from the game entirely. I am now returning with renewed interest, and would like help in deciding a singular calling to focus on.

I have limited experience with all callings, and where the problem lies is, I enjoyed playing all of them. I plan to eventually level each of the four callings, as well as two per side (guardian / defiant). However, I could use a little help in deciding what may be the best (i.e. Ease of leveling, grouping and PVP) option for me in conjunction with the current state of the game (patch 1.4).

I have always flocked to range DPS and would like to do something different this time around (initially anyway). A warrior looks to be quite appealing, however, a cleric looks to have melee capabilities as well as strong solo play (unless I can find a good guild, I will end up spending quite a few hours solo). That being said, I worry about being pigeon-holed into healing amongst the community. While I certainly am the type of person whom would love to help a group out, I may not always be in the mood to heal. I enjoy healing and tanking respectively, but I find more enjoyment with less responsibility in a DPS role within grouping situations.

I have read many threads throughout the forums and will continue to do so. I just thought, should someone stumble across my own thread and were bored, or could relate to my MMO identity crisis they may be able to provide me with some guidance in determining which calling would be the most fitting to level up (first) to cap! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!

If you're the "in the mood" type of player just roll cleric. They can do literally every role. Even if the raid is requiring you to heal, you can still dps while doing healing pretty effectively. However don't expect to be the best tank or the best dps in anything. Its a sacrifice you make for your versatility.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-05-2011 at 08:31 AM.

Soulwalker

The awesome part of this game is that every class has more than one role. Whatever class you go with I don't think you will feel very constrained by your choice.

The only things I would worry about is if you want to do any main healing or tanking. If you ever want to be main healer then you have to go with mage or cleric. Do you want to tank? If so don't pick mage. I think that covers everything and if you follow that you should be happy with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiskerton View Post
    If you're the "in the mood" type of player just roll cleric. They can do literally every role. Even if the raid is requiring you to heal, you can still dps while doing healing pretty effectively. However don't expect to be the best tank or the best dps in anything. Its a sacrifice you make for your versatility.
    Well ask these questions:
    1. What role do you plan at 50?
    2. Do you want to be top DPS
    3. Do you want a supporting role
    4. Do you want to dps or tank role
    5. Do you want a heal role
    6. Do you want to level easy and fast
    7. What goals do you have once 50
    8. Do you like raiding
    9. Do you like pve (ie collecting artifacts, gathering and other stuff )
    10. Do you live pvp
    These are the general question that all people must ask for themselves and then decide from there on what they want at end game. Now letís see what each class has to offer;

Cleric is the jack of all trade. It has a tanking tree, support tree, heals tree, melee and range dps. It lacks the big punch for range dps, I have to say melee is really good. It has excellent tank role if played right. Cleric tanks do require some skill. As support it can be the weakest if not played right. Yet, overall it levels the fastest do to a good over approached that Trion took. A side not clerics are one of few classes you can solo elites.

Warriors are the DPS and tank master. In the right hand a warrior can be top dps in any raid. They have three tank soul trees and give them the most versatility in tanking option. In leveling it can go really fast and gives you a nice pet to help with mobs.

Mages are very much a unique class. Few classes can top there ability to heal a raid in massive way and offer decent buff support. There buffs always can in handy and Dps is very decent in right hand. On the other hand leveling can be a pain if on PVP realm and some one always wants to gank them. A true mage must be a master of the kiting. If you do that then, mages are you guy. They can also be top DPS if played right.

Rouges are the last but the best if you want to go with a class that offers a lot of versatility and high burst dps. They have a decent support role and side heals can be good if played right. They have a tank role, but it to me is handy caped. They also have a dps role for range and melee. Both can really make a difference with its high burst ability. They level extremely fast and less down time then warriors.
    This is just extremely broad look at each class. But should give you a general idea of what each offers. It really depends on how you answer the questions. This will give you a general look at were you plan on going in game.

Just to touch on a few things; I would like to melee, have a smooth leveling experience as the selection will be my first 50 (i.e. it will be my bread winner to fund my other characters as they level). From past MMO's, I enjoy PvP, casual raiding and dungeons, and like collecting things (i.e. harvesting, collections, etc). I want to be a Warrior or Cleric... I love the image of a Dwarf Warrior specifically, but my concern would be how the leveling experience would go (reading some of the forums here, I have seen people list warriors as the weakest in the solo department). On the other hand, the versatility that a Cleric brings is fantastic... That being said, I appreciate you all taking the time to offer suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by Argrim View Post
    I have limited experience with all callings, and where the problem lies is, I enjoyed playing all of them. I plan to eventually level each of the four callings, as well as two per side (guardian / defiant). However, I could use a little help in deciding what may be the best (i.e. Ease of leveling, grouping and PVP) option for me in conjunction with the current state of the game (patch 1.4).
    Haha, that sounds really familiar. As a fellow altaholic, I thought I'd drop by and put in a few quips.

I was in a very similar position a short time ago. All four callings had something that appealed to me, so I had a lot of trouble trying to decide what to focus on. But in the end, I settled for rogue, just because of their speed. Their gcd is so fast - so when I play a rogue, I always seem to be pressing buttons and reacting to what's going on. When the stars align right and I get the right procs and crits at the right time, it truly feels like I'm just dismantling my opponents before they can even react.

Besides, I asked around and the consensus seemed to be that rogues are capable, flexible and fun to play. They seemed to have good pve/pvp utility, and leveled pretty damn quick, too. So I was sold.

But in the end, you just gotta find something about a calling that you find to be really appealing - and/or something that you can really look forward to. Then you just gotta stick to it. Don't raise an alt until you've got at least one high level toon. I find that if I click that 'create new character' button, I get distracted for days.

Thanks everyone. Yeah, eventually I will no doubt be leveling every calling, so I suppose it is not a big deal either way. I just wanted to for once focus on a singular character (at least until cap haha). I am thinking a Cleric or Rogue would be the best choice due to versatility at this point. My Dwarf warrior can wait for now.

Since I'm sure you have rested on all your characters, just choose one and start using up your rested exp, then move onto the next etc. I'm sure at least doing a "round" of rested exp you can figure out which one you wanna hit 50 first with.
    but like others have said, there are several roles to fill by every calling, so I don't think it's possible to get bored with one!
    don't be afraid to check out lvling guides, if you find a calling you enjoy and you feel lackluster for your level, try a diff build - there might be interesting things available in diff souls at your new level.
    have fun!!

+ Reply to Thread