+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oh mages where art thou

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Dixa View Post
    of course it's obvious, hence my statement 'it was my understanding' not 'from my experience'

sabdancer can also operate at ranged but as someone who also played a mage - yeah, compared to the other 3 class options in this game it need some work on it's core gameplay mechanics and i fully understand why mages are rerolling or leaving.

so my question is - are you saying the fight is easier with mages, or cant be done without? and regardless of either answer, isnt this the only fight in all of the raids in the game that either answer would be true? and THEN if that's also the case, since only about 1% or less of the games entire population has or ever will see hammerknell, does that make this into a crisis at all?
    The reason mages are rerolling to 2 fold.

1) They saw that in 1.3 mages were generally doing less dps and did not have the fortitude to wait 1 month for the next patch where things might change yet again as it does in all MMOs.

2) Stupid guilds believing the sky is falling non-sense and saying they don't want mages for raiding. So people are rolling to get raid spots, only to have the next patch swing everything back the other way.

It is simple people just like the idiots in stop and go rush hour traffic who keep changing lanes to try to get 1 car lenth ahead. You are part of the problem, just stay in your lane, if everyone did everyone would go faster. Same thing with each new patch. Stop rerolling, everything will change in the next patch and then you have to reroll again.

Plane Touched

Oh it changes every patch, alrite. Mages are getting weaker and weaker and weaker...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Black View Post
    Just set my damn score to 5/6 at the beginning of every PVP match before hand and prevent the wasted time of you idiots rigging the outcomes to gain precious little 5/6 outcome. I am absolutely sick of this crap, if your just gonna rig the gameplay to achieve this 56 ******** everytime then just set it there at the beginning and then let me ****ing play.

Soulwalker

Default wru mages

i think we need more magesOh mages where art thou-2011-08-09_005839.jpg
    Last edited by Renix01; 08-09-2011 at 04:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by htoncic View Post
    Oh it changes every patch, alrite. Mages are getting weaker and weaker and weaker...

as it is right now, thats the case

In pvp, yes. In pve, it seems more cyclical. 1.2 was a good patch for us. So is 1.4.

The odd numbered patches, not so much. Right now is a pretty good time to be a mage in pve, but I'm dreading 1.5 based on past history.

I see less and less reason to bother with a mage in pvp with each patch, however.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    I'm guessing you guys haven't taken a crack at Matron, then. Cannot be done without massive amounts of mage aoe. No other class comes close to mage damage out put for this.
    While I agree mage got a bump in 1.4, they are still behind rogues and warrs. Consequently we are still only raiding with 1 archon and up to 2 chloros. We are doing fine with sabdancers and cabalists for AOE. If I were being completely honest we don't even need the chloros.

I agree the situation with mages is stupid but this is how the game currently is.
    Last edited by Ashenne; 08-10-2011 at 04:30 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
    You cannot balance classes around expensive consumables. Consumables should be for short term enhancement purposes only.

When is everyone gonna get that.
    Because you're comparing your damage against players who ARE using those expensive consumables. So you're asking for Mage damage to be so much higher than everyone else's DPS, that their non-buffed damage is greater than the buffed damage of Wars/Rogues/Clers?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Raduk View Post
    The reason mages are rerolling to 2 fold.

1) They saw that in 1.3 mages were generally doing less dps and did not have the fortitude to wait 1 month for the next patch where things might change yet again as it does in all MMOs.

2) Stupid guilds believing the sky is falling non-sense and saying they don't want mages for raiding. So people are rolling to get raid spots, only to have the next patch swing everything back the other way.

It is simple people just like the idiots in stop and go rush hour traffic who keep changing lanes to try to get 1 car lenth ahead. You are part of the problem, just stay in your lane, if everyone did everyone would go faster. Same thing with each new patch. Stop rerolling, everything will change in the next patch and then you have to reroll again.
    i started the game at the 4 day head start as a mage. was 50 end of week 1

i rerolled 2nd week of april. mages have been waiting SINCE LAUNCH to be competitive dps. the argument for it being weak back then was how strong chloro was. well, that's no longer the case now is it, not with the -icar buffs.

RIFT Community Ambassador Maelystra's Avatar

Now don't dump all over me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know the class all that well, but if the mage spells cast times were reduced wouldn't that make a big difference in your dps and solve at least some of your problems?
    I mean holy jeebus isn't one of them SIX seconds long and others anywhere from 2.5 - 3 seconds to cast????
    Last edited by Maelystra; 08-12-2011 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelystra View Post
    Now don't dump all over me if I'm wrong, because I really don't know the class all that well, but if the mage spells cast times were reduced wouldn't that make a big difference in your dps and solve at least some of your problems?
    I mean holy jeebus isn't one of them SIX seconds long and others anywhere from 2.5 - 3 seconds to cast????
    Mage main nukes tend to be 2.0s cast time spells.

Cinderburst, the spell you are referring to, is never ever hardcast (and if mages are hardcasting it, they are doing it wrong.) It is only ever cast as an instant from a proc resulting from pyro armor. What's kind of silly about this is that you require both the armor and the spell -- they ought to simply make the spell an instant cast on a long cooldown, because the proc itself has an internal cooldown.

Be that as it may, cast times per se are not holding mages back. Movement is. If a mage can actually stand still and get his casts off, he will do as much damage as anybody else, post 1.4. 2k+ single target dps is quite possible now with several different builds. Unfortunately, very few fights allow mages the luxury of standing still and casting. We have some builds that rely heavily on instants, but even so our damage will drop some using these in mobile fights.

Melee, for its part, can continue to deliver 100% of its damage in a mobile fight so long as they maintain contact with their target.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6