+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oh mages where art thou

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Datku View Post
    After being told at the opening of Hammerknell that rogues and warriors do more dps and there for the guild would not be taking in mages for dps I logged out and have not logged back in my mage. The guild already has full time Chlor and Archon mages and at most they will only take 1 more based on top dps. Kicker is when server transfers opened up the guild got flooded with transfers and since I was already fully geared they were taking under geared transfers to help gear them up. Only raided twice from transfers to opening of Hammerknell and both times I was still top mage dps through most of RoS and GSB but still got benched. Guess I didn't kiss up to the diva's in guild enough like the new lapdogs that joined were doing. I cancelled my subscription (still have 50+ days of prepay time though) and when I do log in I get on one of my alts to play for a bit. Full raid gear mage with relic weapon BiS etc made worthless thanks to sab dancers and "everything is working as intended" warriors
    What is the name of the guild?

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post
    yes true, however there is a lock on that whereas rogues and warriors can go beyond 2.2k whereas mage usually stops at 1.7-1.8 are you okay with not being competitive? for me its no fun.

at this time its no longer a lrn2play issue it is a stone cold fact mages are gimped.
    I've seen plenty of parses of Mages doing over 2.1k DPS, Single Target, and that was with the Spell Stones still being inactive due to the exploit. What you mean to say is YOUR DPS usually stops at 1.7-1.8k and you're not happy with it.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Artorous View Post
    Ok, I'm sick and tired of seeing people complain about needing the temporary enchants to be competitive. Warriors and Rogues both needed the damn weapon stones as well as spotter's order to be as far ahead as they were, without them Mage's pulled the same, if not more.

Seriously, all you're saying is: Calling A and B can do X when they have Buffs 1 and 2 active but Calling C can only do X when they have Buffs 1 and 2 active! Calling C should be able to do what Calling A and B do without needing Buffs 1 and 2, unlike Callings A and B!

They didn't need to change anything in the Mage Calling because the reason for the low numbers was NOT IN THE MAGE CALLING! If you don't want to use the new spell stone or have to rely on SO to remain competitive, think about the other Callings because they have to do the same damn thing!

If you are saying the reason warriors were out dpsing mages before 1.4 was because of consumables and SO you are incorrect. My base 50 warrior in crafted gear and 2 pieces of T2 and no T1 could out dps my mage in full T2 solo on the dummy with no consumables and no SO. My warrior had seriously inferior gear and was beating my mage by about 8% dps. Had they both been full T2 gear'd I have no doubt that gap would have increased to 25-30%.

Now that being said. My mage is easily out dpsing my Warrior since 1.4. 1.4 seriously boosted my mages dps with no consumables or SO. So while I would agree that mages are very close to doing the same damage as warriors/rogues after 1.4 I totally disagree with the statement that consumables and SO are the reason Warriors/Rogues were making us look like Sally girls.

Rift Master

I don't know. Pyro/Ele puts some pretty good numbers up and has a very, very simple rotation.
    It does not beat Warrior/Cleric/Rogue Macros; It is merely the most simple rotation Mages have. But by other Callings' standards, it is still fairly complex. You overestimate the MMO Community by assuming everyone can effectively pull off a multiple button rotation.

If you're having trouble being competitive as a Mage, you're not performing well. Try a different Calling or a different spec that is more suited to your tastes. I've tried all of them. Mages are, quite literally, the most complex Calling.

Take out Macroing your entire priority systems into a single button and Rogues could begin to see a few complex rotations. Outside of that, it's a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by synrgy View Post
    We can barely field 2 mages now. Think all the mages rerolled. Even tho your damage wasnt the highest your buffs/debuffs that went along with it are invaluable. Im sorry people abused you and made fun of your dps. Please forgive the ignorant, for they no not what they have done. You are wise beyond your years, please please please come back.
    I rerolled because my guild didn't want to bring mages to their raids anymore. I switched servers and made a rogue. I'm liking my rogue a lot more than my mage. I think I'm even doing more DPS than my mage at level 43 on him! (I KID I KID)

Quote Originally Posted by Raduk View Post
    If you are saying the reason warriors were out dpsing mages before 1.4 was because of consumables and SO you are incorrect. My base 50 warrior in crafted gear and 2 pieces of T2 and no T1 could out dps my mage in full T2 solo on the dummy with no consumables and no SO. My warrior had seriously inferior gear and was beating my mage by about 8% dps. Had they both been full T2 gear'd I have no doubt that gap would have increased to 25-30%.

Now that being said. My mage is easily out dpsing my Warrior since 1.4. 1.4 seriously boosted my mages dps with no consumables or SO. So while I would agree that mages are very close to doing the same damage as warriors/rogues after 1.4 I totally disagree with the statement that consumables and SO are the reason Warriors/Rogues were making us look like Sally girls.
    With the changes to SO and weapon procs, high end Mages were parsing right with the rest of the Callings. At lower gear levels it may be true that they beat us hands down, but considering the BiS geared players were the ones complaining, the changes put them neck and neck.

These guilds dropping mages are in for a serious and unpleasant surprise when they get to HK. I really don't see how they're going to progress without a solid mage corps.

The old formula of 1 archon and a chloro or two isn't gonna fly in there, for many reasons. You're going to need mage dps, and quite a bit of it on some fights.

But the guilds running the place know the score. Look at the recruitment threads -- mages are in high demand. The number one guild is recruiting mages, for crying out loud.

1.4 also brought up mage dps significantly.

Plane Touched

Or not. 1.4 did nothing for mage DPS. It brought to the table an expensive consumable, while nerfing our best single target build. Gee, thanks.

As for HK, my guild is raiding there and other than the tanking mage for the Molinar encounter I see no good reason to bring more mages than usual.

Finally, if mages are in high demand, might that not mean there aren't enough mages around? Because a lot of them were sick of being treated like dirt by Trion and stopped playing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Black View Post
    Just set my damn score to 5/6 at the beginning of every PVP match before hand and prevent the wasted time of you idiots rigging the outcomes to gain precious little 5/6 outcome. I am absolutely sick of this crap, if your just gonna rig the gameplay to achieve this 56 ******** everytime then just set it there at the beginning and then let me ****ing play.

I'm guessing you guys haven't taken a crack at Matron, then. Cannot be done without massive amounts of mage aoe. No other class comes close to mage damage out put for this.

Also, Zoomancer can bite me.
    Last edited by Flaviusx; 08-07-2011 at 10:44 PM.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    I'm guessing you guys haven't taken a crack at Matron, then. Cannot be done without massive amounts of mage aoe. No other class comes close to mage damage out put for this.

Also, Zoomancer can bite me.
    Cabalist does insane AoE right now, and sabs are still ridiculous with their AoE. I'd be willing to bet that if some guilds stacked like 8 sabs at the exclusion of mage dps, the adds would die just as fast if not faster. And they don't lose single target dps as much as stormcallers.

Not saying mages are bad, but at lower gear levels, I'd take a rogue over a mage. I know you do good dps flav, but not all of us are rocking out bis gear and relic weapons. There is a bit of exponentiality to our scaling.

Not sure why you hate zoomancer so much flavor flav. It has the same amount of buttons as pyro, but even more cooldowns. I'd rather have some kickass animals running around me than a lame upside down tornado, if I'm forced to have a pet.

Mage aoe beats all that. Handily. And mage single target is now also top notch and in the 2k+ range.

Zoomancer is a stupid gimmick spec that was designed to abuse the old spotter's order. Nobody would ever have played it otherwise. It was a warped response to bad game mechanics. With SO fixed, it will quickly go back to oblivion. No self respecting mage ought to have anything to do with it.

Right now I can do equal or better numbers with pyro on live as prepatch Zoomancer, and that is a legitimate mage spec.

You're really complaining about the "legitimacy" of a spec when it works just as well as the other high end builds? Its more disgraceful that you only used it because it was the top build at the time but you hated playing it.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-08-2011 at 04:04 AM.

I've seen plenty of parses of Mages doing over 2.1k DPS, Single Target, and that was with the Spell Stones still being inactive due to the exploit. What you mean to say is YOUR DPS usually stops at 1.7-1.8k and you're not happy with it.
    show these parses your so proud of, and i swear if u post bluedots, 2.2 k mage dps one with the gimmick spec and stacking all of his raid around min/maxing mage damage that doesn't actually prove anything... everyone will know your full of ****.

and mages doing 2.1 k, i can guarantee they're not doing it without bugging or exploiting

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post
    show these parses your so proud of, and i swear if u post bluedots, 2.2 k mage dps one with the gimmick spec and stacking all of his raid around min/maxing mage damage that doesn't actually prove anything... everyone will know your full of ****.

and mages doing 2.1 k, i can guarantee they're not doing it without bugging or exploiting
    Go read the Mage forums. 33/33 Necro/lock and 35/31 pyro/ele both do great dps and have parses over 2k in HK. But I guess you'll call those gimmick specs so you don't have to actually look. Even Flav has said he parses over 2k as pyro/ele. you're a bad Mage if you are geared enough for HK and can't top the 2k mark single target.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Abraxas79 View Post
    Raiders and their obsessive compulsions about numbers. We saw this in WOW which is why many of us left. ie; You need x amount of GS to raid with us. Oh, you scratched your prick during that last boss and recount showed your dps down 5%. This will not due at all. Out you go.

I hate to see the same elitist mentality creeping into this game. Bosses are not so hard yet that we need the beancounters micro-managing everyone.
    I have raided in over 10 MMOs with guilds and only once in 15+ guilds have I never seen that behavior. I have seen people being denied spots when their DPS was less than half of a another player that had the same gear though, and quite frankly it is just rude to keep taking up a raid spot and holding back your guild mates from progression if your dps sucks that bad. Yes if it is only one person it is not such a big deal but in a 20 man raid if you have 2 or 3 dps people that if you add their dps together are meeting the dps on a single person, that is a problem. In those cases you don't think it is justified removing/denying those people a spot in a raid?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast