+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Oh mages where art thou

After being told at the opening of Hammerknell that rogues and warriors do more dps and there for the guild would not be taking in mages for dps I logged out and have not logged back in my mage. The guild already has full time Chlor and Archon mages and at most they will only take 1 more based on top dps. Kicker is when server transfers opened up the guild got flooded with transfers and since I was already fully geared they were taking under geared transfers to help gear them up. Only raided twice from transfers to opening of Hammerknell and both times I was still top mage dps through most of RoS and GSB but still got benched. Guess I didn't kiss up to the diva's in guild enough like the new lapdogs that joined were doing. I cancelled my subscription (still have 50+ days of prepay time though) and when I do log in I get on one of my alts to play for a bit. Full raid gear mage with relic weapon BiS etc made worthless thanks to sab dancers and "everything is working as intended" warriors
    Last edited by Datku; 08-06-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    ~~~~~
    Datku 50 Mage (retired due to poor raid dps compared to warriors and rogues),
    Kilva 50 Rogue
    Elesia 50 Cleric

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Datku View Post
    After being told at the opening of Hammerknell that rogues and warriors do more dps and there for the guild would not be taking in mages for dps I logged out and have not logged back in my mage. The guild already has full time Chlor and Archon mages and at most they will only take 1 more based on top dps. Kicker is when server transfers opened up the guild got flooded with transfers and since I was already fully geared they were taking under geared transfers to help gear them up. Only raided twice from transfers to opening of Hammerknell and both times I was still top mage dps through most of RoS and GSB but still got benched. Guess I didn't kiss up to the diva's in guild enough like the new lapdogs that joined were doing. I cancelled my subscription (still have 50+ days of prepay time though) and when I do log in I get on one of my alts to play for a bit. Full raid gear mage with relic weapon BiS etc made worthless thanks to sab dancers and "everything is working as intended" warriors
    Every raid has room for 5 of every calling. That is the intended balance.

And your guild is stupid as with the changes that were made with the 1.4 patch Mages are at the same spot as every other Calling. Hell, even before 1.4 hit and even with the spell stones not working (unless they fixed them) people were still clearing HK with 5 Mages. If your raid leader doesn't understand that then you were in a bad guild to begin with, hell even if he does understand the changes and wanted to sit the Mages just because the on-paper DPS wasn't as high doesn't mean that Mages should have been sat.

Quote Originally Posted by Malagus View Post
    So mage gear should have a huge boost to SP.... thats permanent not an expensive temporary.

Honestly I would rather have them raised our spellpower increase by int raised from .5 to .75 and spell crit raised from 1 to 1.25.

Because Wisdom gives .5 spellpower so stacking wisdom when spell crit capped is BETTER than stacking more Int. Raising the int ratio to SP and SC would do the same balance if not better for all mages.
    Ok, I'm sick and tired of seeing people complain about needing the temporary enchants to be competitive. Warriors and Rogues both needed the damn weapon stones as well as spotter's order to be as far ahead as they were, without them Mage's pulled the same, if not more.

Seriously, all you're saying is: Calling A and B can do X when they have Buffs 1 and 2 active but Calling C can only do X when they have Buffs 1 and 2 active! Calling C should be able to do what Calling A and B do without needing Buffs 1 and 2, unlike Callings A and B!

They didn't need to change anything in the Mage Calling because the reason for the low numbers was NOT IN THE MAGE CALLING! If you don't want to use the new spell stone or have to rely on SO to remain competitive, think about the other Callings because they have to do the same damn thing!
    Last edited by Artorous; 08-06-2011 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorous View Post
    Ok, I'm sick and tired of seeing people complain about needing the temporary enchants to be competitive. Warriors and Rogues both needed the damn weapon stones as well as spotter's order to be as far ahead as they were, without them Mage's pulled the same, if not more.

Seriously, all you're saying is: Calling A and B can do X when they have Buffs 1 and 2 active but Calling C can only do X when they have Buffs 1 and 2 active! Calling C should be able to do what Calling A and B do without needing Buffs 1 and 2, unlike Callings A and B!

They didn't need to change anything in the Mage Calling because the reason for the low numbers was NOT IN THE MAGE CALLING! If you don't want to use the new spell stone or have to rely on SO to remain competitive, think about the other Callings because they have to do the same damn thing!
    balancing the game around consumables is very poor design mechanic.

Sword of Telara Chancellor Gowron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinn View Post
    You cannot balance classes around expensive consumables. Consumables should be for short term enhancement purposes only.

When is everyone gonna get that.
    Those powerstones are 10-20 plat each on the AH atm. I guess I should get around to levelling my artificing

Your guild is making a serious mistake. Especially in not taking into account 1.4.

Oh, and who are they going to use for mage tanking Prince?

Find a new guild. Many many guilds are recruiting mages. There does indeed seem to be something of a shortage of mages

Quote Originally Posted by extinction View Post
    balancing the game around consumables is very poor design mechanic.
    While that's true if everyone in the raid skipped out on the temp enchantments everyone would still be pulling roughly the same dps, assuming equally geared. Even without the stones being used Mages are posting 2100 dps on some fights. That's pretty good for single target and I haven't seen any other calling post anything higher than that, but if they did we still aren't able to use our weapon stones which will add another 100 to that.

Edit: When I say everyone should be pulling the same dps I'm not saying that as in the same with or without the enchant, but everyone should take the same drop in dps and be roughly at the same numbers.

If you're in a progressive guild you should be expected to have every possible buff, rune, and consumeable. If you don't want to do that then join a casual guild.

And don't say they are expensive. Progressive guilds have people farming mats for guild use and if you're broke then you're playing the game wrong. I make between 20-30 plat an hour grinding mobs and selling things tO the vendor. Pick up butchering and clothier and go grind in Stillmoor. Skin the puppies and enjoy the extra cloth drops. Easy as pie.
    Last edited by Artorous; 08-06-2011 at 07:10 PM.

*steeples hands*

Yes... my plans to damage the raiders with the removal of mages has gone about perfectly......

Hrm? What?

O hai.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

Rift Master

The one and only thing they need to change with the Mage Calling is the addition of a disclaimer at the Character Creation screen stating that the Mage is an advanced Calling.

If you are not capable of critical thinking and problem solving, roll a Rogue, Warrior or Cleric.

The Calling in general has far, far too many bad players using it when they should be sticking with a much easier Calling.

Quote Originally Posted by Arianna View Post
    The one and only thing they need to change with the Mage Calling is the addition of a disclaimer at the Character Creation screen stating that the Mage is an advanced Calling.

If you are not capable of critical thinking and problem solving, roll a Rogue, Warrior or Cleric.

The Calling in general has far, far too many bad players using it when they should be sticking with a much easier Calling.
    I don't know. Pyro/Ele puts some pretty good numbers up and has a very, very simple rotation.

now this is just pure b.s

there is a serious problem with mages like it or not, you can be in denial all you want.

im not saying mages are not worth it to play, but right now a lot of experienced people who have played many different mmo's in their time including me know this.

im not saying OMGBUFFMAGESSOWERE2BUTTOGODMODES, However if im to play an "advanced" class as you so finely put, Where is the tradeoff? don't get me wrong i like dealing with a somewhat complex rotation what im not okay with is doing this "said" rotation and being beat by t2 geared people because they can use a 2-3 button macro setup and parse 1.8k+

Quote Originally Posted by Artorous View Post
    I don't know. Pyro/Ele puts some pretty good numbers up and has a very, very simple rotation.
    yes true, however there is a lock on that whereas rogues and warriors can go beyond 2.2k whereas mage usually stops at 1.7-1.8 are you okay with not being competitive? for me its no fun.

at this time its no longer a lrn2play issue it is a stone cold fact mages are gimped.
    Last edited by extinction; 08-07-2011 at 03:43 AM.

Raiders and their obsessive compulsions about numbers. We saw this in WOW which is why many of us left. ie; You need x amount of GS to raid with us. Oh, you scratched your prick during that last boss and recount showed your dps down 5%. This will not due at all. Out you go.

I hate to see the same elitist mentality creeping into this game. Bosses are not so hard yet that we need the beancounters micro-managing everyone.

I think someone needs to make a guide that tests mage dps over 6 minute intervals with varying crit and spellpower levels. Take T3 mage and remove one item; test that then another item is removed, etc until around you get down to around 700 SP (fresh 50). Make a chart with varying specs so that people can compare and comprehend what synergy crystals, T1, T2, T3, gear, consumables, spec scaling, etc do for you.

That way people can understand if they fail at mage dps or their class is truly gimped.

I personally find that the more I practice and read what others are doing my dps increases. So I'd bet that mages aren't gimped but people are choosing specs based on the flavor of the month and not what fits their play style better. Might be better to choose the spec that does 50 less dps but you can actually maintain it based on your skill level rather than choose the convoluted spec that few can pull off without hours of practice.

A dubious business strategy.

A better business strategy would be to find ways to make the calling a bit more accessible. Mages are always going to be the thinking man's (and woman's) calling in this game, but it wouldn't hurt to streamline things some.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast