+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What exactly is "Support"

General of Telara

Default What exactly is "Support"

So far I keep getting groups with my tank where the support isnt a bard or chloromancer. Im sorry but isnt support supposed to either buff or provide extra healing? Can Trion fix it so a DPS cant queue as support and then refuse to support?

Support is either someone who buffs (bard/archon) debuffs (bard/archon) or offheals (chloro/justicar)

In all honesty, you should not need support in a dungeon run at all unless both your tank and your cleric are fresh 50s or are just plain bad.

Support queue is generally regarded as "third DPS" queue. Sometimes, you won't even be able to get past a boss without a third dps anyway.
    Last edited by Fiskerton; 08-04-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Plane Touched

basically it's bard, archon, and certain chloro builds that fit the games requirement for support
    dominator qualifies as support too but it's not even a pve viable soul

never seen a cleric get in as support but i suppose its possible. technically, support is supposed to be the one role cleric doesn't have though

people just make a support setup to speed up the queue then switch to a dps role once inside normally

Quote Originally Posted by Terraluna View Post
    basically it's bard, archon, and certain chloro builds that fit the games requirement for support
    dominator qualifies as support too but it's not even a pve viable soul

never seen a cleric get in as support but i suppose its possible. technically, support is supposed to be the one role cleric doesn't have though

people just make a support setup to speed up the queue then switch to a dps role once inside normally
    Not according to the LFG tool. Having sufficient points in Justicar will allow you to queue as Support due to it's aoe healing viability.

And yes, there are certain encounters where you'll need an offheal, no question. Not all, not even most. But they're there so you want to have one just in case.

Besides, how often do you get a pug group that's that capable?

Telaran

Most of the time your support role will be just dpsing, true, but the person queued as support should still have at least one, of not more support related roles. Sometimes your tank/healer just aren't up to par content wise. Sometimes the fight has CC which, if it hits healer, is a problem without offheals. Some fights are just so aoe heavy that a chloro/judi/bard is needed to keep the cleric healer from running out of mana halfway through.

I've had times where the support was able to dps the entire time, but with pug groups that tends to be rarer; usually it's just dps some of the time.

On occasion I'll run into someone who queues support and doesn't even have a support role. Once when I was a fresh 50 healer someone queued support intending to run the whole thing as a necrolock. (He had a pvp dom role that let him queue as support). Being somewhat undergeared, I was relying on having a real support role, at least on bosses. Our group didn't finish that instance (second to last boss wiped us enough for people to quit).

dbe
    General of Telara

Most of the time, the support person is just a 3rd damage slot but I've seen lots of them offer to back-up heal if the healer was struggling.

I play a bard at times and while the party's entire damage would be slightly higher if I just went to my dps spec, you have a lot of wipe insurance with support heals constantly hitting the group.

Rift Disciple

When I was running T2s... I kept a BattleBard build:

32 Bard for Fervor and Anthem of Power
    19 Sin for Backstab and juicy +20% crit dmg
    and
    15 Bladedancer for Deadly Dance

I ran with this build mainly because I hate being out of Energy and the buffs add so much dps to the rest of the group.

IN this build I could generally pull around between 600 and 700 dps if I used melee (while twisting chants) or ~400dps/400hps if I used Cadence + Deadly Dance (while twisting chants). IF I had to drop Virtuoso my DPS would drop to ~250 but my HPS would jump to ~600.

All-in-all Battle Bard is a good solution to a group w/o a Chloro.

And just how many points into justicar do you need to be support? Take the duracell spec...31 shammy, 21 justicar, 14 inquis. Excelent support build for instances. Good dmg, plenty of heals from dps, and doctrine of loyalty for group heals (been many times I actually out healed the full healer in the group or saved the group when the healer went down) or even doctrine of rightousness if you want to spot heal the tank. Before 1.4 this build could queue as support. Now it can't Yet a 34 justicar 32 shaman will qualify for both support and tank roles....
    Last edited by Datku; 08-04-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    ~~~~~
    Datku 50 Mage (retired due to poor raid dps compared to warriors and rogues),
    Kilva 50 Rogue
    Elesia 50 Cleric

Dominators and Archons are also support, as well as Duracell clerics, several Justicar cleric builds, etc.

There are more than a few types of support, and many of them work well. On the flip side, many times support is unneeded, and DPS helps just as much, if not more, such as in highly-geared groups.
    127% of internet statistics are made up on the spot.

Never trust obscure quotes from famous people on the internet. -George Washington

Soulwalker

I believe its 26 in justicar to be able to go as support... have a tank role and you can go in as support on your standard shamicar/inquisicar build though

Rift Chaser

I have always been real curious as to what peoples expectations of a "Support" role in a group situation were as well.

Though they are pretty well defined in most raid scenarios, they are vague at best when it comes to random group thrown together.
    I don't think you can define the role of a Support in a general sense.
    I think the makeup, skill, and gear-set of the group will define the role of Support for that specific group.

Archon?
    I have a 51 point Archon but not once have I ever been asked to play it in a 5 man PvE group.

Chloromancer is nice for Support but is usually overkill since they can solo heal any T2 dungeon.
    And if a Chloro can be Support Heals for a Cleric then I see no reason why a Cleric couldn't be support Heals for a Chloro.

In most cases, when I get selected for Support I go DPS on trash and then Heals or DPS on the Bosses depending on what is needed. But I always state my intentions and if the group decides it would be better suited with me in a different role then I am happy to change. There are times I may change my roles multiple times throughout the instance depending on the encounter.

Support is tricky role for Pug groups.
    If you start out as a Healer then people may complain about the lack of DPS.
    If you start out as DPS then people may complain about your lack of Healing.
    If you start out as a Hybrid that both Heals and DPS then you risk people complaining that you are both on the bottom of the DPS and the Heal parses.

Support is two things: Grease & Mortar.

If the group is fine, Support is the grease that makes everything run smoother.

If the group has a weakness, Support is the mortar that shores up that weakness through back up heals, buffing, debuffing, CC or whatever will plug the leak in the dam.

Battlebard is a good happy medium for 5 mans. If the group's solid, I dps on trash and just Bard on bosses. You'd be surprised how much dps something simple like Anthem of Fervour adds to the group. Especially a melee heavy one.
    Last edited by Ansari; 08-04-2011 at 10:46 PM.
    I'm a Rogue, not a Rouge......Though it does bring out my cheekbones.

Ansari - 50 Defiant Rogue
    Estrael

Plane Touched

I always support with a build containing 32 inq 11 justicar so I can throw AoE heals around (have 51 justicar tank build as well so I qualify with that). Usually that is enough to get the job done. I also help by putting Spiritual Deficiency (increase magic damage taken by 7%) on every mob we fight. I also consider this support because it increases the group's dps.
    Last edited by Israfael; 08-04-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Soulwalker

I usually get picked to do support via LFG system and I run a 35/31 Justicar and Shaman build when that happens. I agree with the Grease and Mortar comment, especially true with PuG's, saved many groups when the healer died from aggro.

Shadowlander

As support you will have to do what's needed in the group at the moment, group healing if it's needed or dps if it's needed. Group buffs are indirectly support as well since it boosts group dps or keeps the group alive easier but you can be support without group buffs...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast