+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Rogue or Warrior?

Default Rogue or Warrior?

with the upcoming 1.4 nerfs for an already severely underpowered class in PVP, I've decided to retire my mage and start a new character so I can actually PVP efficiently

In other games I enjoy tanking, so I've decided to make either a rogue or a warrior

I aim to spend 75% of my time PVPing and the rest of my time tanking PVE content. Which class is better for tanking & PVP?

And are bards wanted in groups?

Can't decide which to roll :<
    Last edited by kyris_; 07-31-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Honestly? Rogue if you want a variety of possible playstyles. Warrior if you're happy just being melee or tank all the time. If you just like hitting stuff in melee and getting hit in melee, Warrior has more tanking Soul options. If you want a more jack of all trades, go Rogue. But you'll only have the one tank Soul option.

So more variety overall or more variety within the tanking role itself.

Oh, and everyone loves a Bard. Cept maybe Bards ;p
    Last edited by Ansari; 07-31-2011 at 05:44 AM.
    I'm a Rogue, not a Rouge......Though it does bring out my cheekbones.

Ansari - 50 Defiant Rogue
    Estrael

If you like ranged, roll a rogue. If you like melee, roll a warrior. In pvp there are no rogue melee options except assassin with stealth.

Bards in pvp suck - not enough survivability unless you spend half your points in the tanking tree, and even then they're easy to take out as a ranged.
    Last edited by Mayi; 07-31-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayi View Post
    If you like ranged, roll a rogue. If you like melee, roll a warrior. In pvp there are no rogue melee options except assassin with stealth.

Bards in pvp suck - not enough survivability unless you spend half your points in the tanking tree, and even then they're easy to take out as a ranged.
    I would submit you have encountered some piss poor melee rogues and bards in pvp if you're making this generalization. Unless you are trolling and I hath fallen for your clever machinations.

I've PvP'd with every Rogue soul available and found success. Some are more suited to certain BGs than others and some certainly require more player finesse to work with. But none of them suck and its certainly possible to melee without being a 51 Sin.

Hell, I'm on Bard half the time in pvp without any problems. Bard is great for any BG where you have big fights around static objectives. Obviously the Bard isn't kicking *** and taking names 1v1, but its not suppose to. It's a Support Soul. -.-
    Last edited by Ansari; 07-31-2011 at 07:53 AM.

Estrael

Quote Originally Posted by Ansari View Post
    I would submit you have encountered some piss poor melee rogues and bards in pvp if you're making this generalization. Unless you are trolling and I hath fallen for your clever machinations.

I've PvP'd with every Rogue soul available and found success. Some are more suited to certain BGs than others and some certainly require more player finesse to work with. But none of them suck and its certainly possible to melee without being a 51 Sin.

Hell, I'm on Bard half the time in pvp without any problems. Bard is great for any BG where you have big fights around static objectives. Obviously the Bard isn't kicking *** and taking names 1v1, but its not suppose to. It's a Support Soul. -.-
    It depends what your idea of success is. Right now I can go into a warfront and end up with 20+ PKs and not die, the worst I will do in a blow out by the other side is maybe 7 PKs and die 5 times. Can every soul do that? If not, then it's about our expectatios. If you are content with being mediocre, then every soul is viable. But why take a medicore soul when you can go in and dominate? People say a lot of builds are viable, and if that is true why do I dominate others who play these souls?

As a dps you should come out at least 1.5:1 PKs vs Deaths. If you aren't, I'd drop what you're doing and try something else. I think this ratio is true starting at about Rank 2.

A bard heavy into RS can port away it's true, so just target switch because you've neutralized them anyways... or if they're the only target left, they WILL die pretty easily once you catch up to them.
    Last edited by Mayi; 07-31-2011 at 08:20 AM.

I rolled a rogue for two reasons;

1) My mage is a max outfitter, so I won't have to worry about gear while levelling

2) My mage is level 46, and I hate grinding out those last few levels without rested exp.

So far, I'm loving it. Except for people running away from me in PvP as an Assassin, but that'll hopefully change next level when I get a 70% slow. It's great fun killing off a Fang carrier from stealth after he takes a tick, then taking turns beating on everyone there so it resets.

If not, then it's about our expectations.
    Your expections are apparently that of a min/maxer then? If its not The Best(tm) DPS, then its mediocre? Well, may as well delete every other Soul then I guess, ? Just leave the one that "dominates", we don't need the others?

People say a lot of builds are viable, and if that is true why do I dominate others who play these souls?
    Because you are generalizing from the small sample size that is your personal experience which could be skewed by any number of factors? If your experience was global to everyone playing the Rogue Soul, the Rogue forum would be full of even more whining then it already is >.>

A bard heavy into RS can port away it's true, so just target switch because you've neutralized them anyways... or if they're the only target left, they WILL die pretty easily once you catch up to them.
    Ironically, I've never really bothered using RS with Bard. Also, making a Bard shift away then ignoring them isn't neutralizing them at all. =p
    Last edited by Ansari; 07-31-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Estrael

Quote Originally Posted by Gehrgontra View Post
    My mage is level 46, and I hate grinding out those last few levels without rested exp.
    Pre-50 grinding? What?

On MMO break until someone decides to put out a game developed for PvP.
    On Deck:
    Jon Connor - Love Me Now
    Dir en grey - Hageshisa to kono mune no naka de karamitsuita shakunetsu no yami

Nightblade owns kids (and is even considered CHEESE due to immunity)
    Bladedancer owns kids (deep BD or using it to supplement another melee soul)
    Jury is out on Assassin (it seems to be very situational, good for 1v1s/ganking, not so much in mass combat)

However, melee rogue in this game requires you to not be a MEDIOCRE player in order to excel at it. Just sayin.

SIDE NOTE: Bard needs RS in PvP because it's a healer. Even though it's a support healer, it's still a healer. What happens to healers in PvP (against people who know how to play)? They get focused. Other than that, Bards are meant to be SUPPORT troops, not combat troops... and it does it's job very well, provided you aren't a mediocre player.
    Last edited by Kalevala; 08-02-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Reply to removed post

On Deck:
    Jon Connor - Love Me Now

If you play a rogue you must play ranged or have permanent stealth, otherwise you're just a warrior with a fetish for leather.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    If you play a rogue you must play ranged or have permanent stealth, otherwise you're just a warrior with a fetish for leather.
    With less hp, less dps, less mobility (unless MM), weaker heal debuffs, etc etc etc.

Champion of Telara The Real Viz Shady's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calo View Post
    With less hp, less dps, less mobility (unless MM), weaker heal debuffs, etc etc etc.
    and access to only half the loot warriors can get!
    Last edited by The Real Viz Shady; 07-31-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Viz Shady View Post
    and access to only half the loot warriors can get!
    Hah. Bravo, sir.

Estrael

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by kuronese View Post
    Pre-50 grinding? What?
    from 45 to 48 you can only do lh. at 46 lh only gives a bubble of rested xp fpr a full run.

45 to 48 you are grinding quests and mobs. with rested and if you can kill them quickly grinding yellow con mobs is faster than questing

Quote Originally Posted by Dixa View Post
    from 45 to 48 you can only do lh. at 46 lh only gives a bubble of rested xp fpr a full run.

45 to 48 you are grinding quests and mobs. with rested and if you can kill them quickly grinding yellow con mobs is faster than questing
    My point is that there are so many ways to get EXP, you really have to not be trying (or limiting yourself to only certain activites) to not EASILY get to 50.

Srsly.

On Deck:
    Jon Connor - Love Me Now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast