+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Physical Attacks vs. Spells

Soulwalker

Default Physical Attacks vs. Spells

So, I asked for an explanation in game, and all I got was a "read the description" thing. I'm still new to the game and was looking for some clarification so I hope I can count on you guys.

Greater Essences separate their procs into 3 categories that I have seen: Physical Attacks, Spell Damage, and Heals.

What I would like to know is: is any attack that does not do "physical damage" considered spells?

For instance, Rogues have a lot of abilities from different souls that do non-physical damage, such as Fiery Spike from Nightblade....so is that affected by spell crit and spell power?

If so, as a Nightblade, when I put together my planar essences, should I be looking for the Int/spell crit ones? or just stick to the dex/phys crit ones? and what about the greaters? would I just use ones that do spell damage procs?

The same thing applies to Flamespear maxing for Riftblades. If I wanted to maximize my damage from Flamespear, should I just do all spell damage/spell crit stuff? or just stick to the STR/DEX warrior normal stats?

As gear only comes in so many forms for those classes, I mainly would like to know for the purpose of Runecrafting, Lesser Essences, and Greater Essences to get the most out of them for my characters.

Thanks in advance!

RIFT Guide Writer Sekhmet The Fierce's Avatar

Abilties from Warriors & Rogues scale off Strength/Dexterity and Attack Power, not Int/Spell Power. This includes all non-physical attacks made by Wars/Rogues.
    "Wer mit Ungeheuern kämpft, mag zusehn, dass er nicht dabei zum Ungeheuer wird. Und wenn du lange in einen Abgrund blickst, blickt der Abgrund auch in dich hinein."
    He who fights with Monsters should look to it that He himself does not become a Monster. And when you gaze long into an Abyss, the Abyss also gazes into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

The only grey area here is procs and greater essences. Healing ones work for bards. Some things which looks like they works on "spells" work on other abilities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NatashaK View Post
    The only grey area here is procs and greater essences. Healing ones work for bards. Some things which looks like they works on "spells" work on other abilities as well.
    Yeah.
    Off-hand I can name the blue-quality "deals _ damage and heals _ on physical attack" greater essences as not working with elemental stuff like Riftblade and Bard.
    The trinket from Scarwood that procs on "physical damage" also does not work with elemental stuff.
    Everything else I've seen, including the purple-quality essences, works with it.

+ Reply to Thread