Closed Thread

Thread: Best solo mage spec?

Soulwalker

Default Best solo mage spec?

Hey everyone, I've been having tons of fun playing the cookie cutter duracell cleric build, but I'm wondering what kind of mage builds are available that have lots of solo-viability (I LOVE being able to solo bonus rift stages) and self healing (for warfronts with no healers)? Hit me with everything you've got, please

Chloro/dom or lock/necro.

Too lazy to bother with build links, they're all over the forum anyway.
    This is why we can't have nice things.

Lock/Necro/Chloro = drain tanking and can easily solo just about everything. However, there isn't just 1 build that's good for doing everything, at least everything quickly. I have a Lock/Necro/Chloro build for soloing elites, focuses more on Necro pets, and then I have a Lock/Necro/Chloro build that I use for grinding loads of mobs as well as PvP. Same souls but different point spread.

For Elites I use Elementalist(44)/Chloro(22), everything else I find dies fast simply from the AoE of my Warlock(30)/Chloro(36) build.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Rift Disciple

Lock / Chloro by far.

In the rare event that you should encounter an elite that Lock/Chloro can't handle then Ele/Chloro.

If you keep updating your gear through LFG instances/enchant them you can handle minor rifts alone as chloro/lock and major ones ele/chloro.

But be warned, ele/chloro is sloooowwwww killing.

Lock/Chloro often tops healing AND damge in warfronts.

32 build

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0zRv0.xdM.be0Akooek
    Last edited by Skullcrush; 07-30-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Solo pve: necro/lock
    Solo pvp: warlock/necro

Quote Originally Posted by Aastarius View Post
    For Elites I use Elementalist(44)/Chloro(22), everything else I find dies fast simply from the AoE of my Warlock(30)/Chloro(36) build.
    Yeah this is pretty much it. It's a bit slow, but elementalist/chloro will be the one you finish the rift bonus rounds with. Of course, it's too slow to get you to that point with the timed rounds, so use something else before then.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

My favorite is a 36 ele/30 arch build with dom, for the cc if i want it. IT is a weird specc but elites and rifts are pretty easy, not to mentsion that the arch shield buff is pretty strong i can normally gen a good amount of charge with it up and still have it up when i go to heal my ele pet. I mostly keep up my archon buffs first and then get the pet bonus from earth missle i think it is, although i hit my archon shield as he goes in to grab the mob or group. the lava field is nice for aoe and also helping the ele heal out too.

Soulwalker

I don't know if elites become easy at level 50 with raid gear but at level 40 without raid gear I can't solo them as mage.

I'm playing Chloro/Lock and it's a great and easy solo spec but elites simply outdamage my heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Stahl View Post
    I don't know if elites become easy at level 50 with raid gear but at level 40 without raid gear I can't solo them as mage.

I'm playing Chloro/Lock and it's a great and easy solo spec but elites simply outdamage my heals.
    As said, for Elites you need a pet. I personally prefer the Earth Elemental. Always a good idea to then back it up with chloro for healing otherwise you'll spend all your time using Quicken Elements (incidentally, make sure you get the improved version).
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Soulwalker

I tried Ele/chloro and found it to be slow, but it worked out. Now.. I found myself to use quicken elements mostly anyway, so i then i tried Element/Pyro/arch, and having much int and wisdom, standing in ground i had alot of mana. Throwing in fire instants and healing. This was much more effective and i had more control.

Thats just my opinion though!

Quote Originally Posted by Stranden View Post
    I tried Ele/chloro and found it to be slow, but it worked out. Now.. I found myself to use quicken elements mostly anyway, so i then i tried Element/Pyro/arch, and having much int and wisdom, standing in ground i had alot of mana. Throwing in fire instants and healing. This was much more effective and i had more control.

Thats just my opinion though!
    Should try Necro/Chloro. The Necro pets hit a LOT harder than the Ele's pets which means things die a lot sooner.
    Definition of Generally
    Without reference to or disregarding particular persons, things, situations, etc., that may be an exception.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Artorous View Post
    Should try Necro/Chloro. The Necro pets hit a LOT harder than the Ele's pets which means things die a lot sooner.
    Why not just go Necrolock then? Between purge, drainbolt, mortality and that one warlock selfheal youre pretty much invincible to elites. Not to mention feign death even if **** goes south

Quote Originally Posted by Peechez n Creem View Post
    Why not just go Necrolock then? Between purge, drainbolt, mortality and that one warlock selfheal youre pretty much invincible to elites. Not to mention feign death even if **** goes south
    You can pretty much do any combo. I did Necro/lock/chloro for grinding as it had more heals and made it easy.
    Definition of Generally
    Without reference to or disregarding particular persons, things, situations, etc., that may be an exception.

Closed Thread