+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Faction unique Class/Soul

Default Faction unique Class/Soul

This idea has been probably talked on the forums already, but I couldn't find it, sorry.

I really hope that one day we could get Class or Soul that is unique to a certain faction, yet balanced. It will make the Defiants and the Guardians different and unique. What do you think?

Unless this is a PvP soul, I rather not. In PvE only the slightest imbalance, where say the Defiant one has a 1% more damage then the Guardian one in the current mage dps cookie cutter, will set off massive QQing. In PvP not so much, due to there's ways to counter it, and ppl aren't often using Cookie Cutters. In PvE the one with "highest dps (if dps)/highest survivbility (if tank)/highest healing (if healer)" will be the best. In pvp highest dps isn't always the best for a damage dealer, but it can be sometimes.
    Last edited by Rizz; 07-28-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Rathi@Gelidra <Invictus>
    IRotP: Conqueror | NM TD: 4/4

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

YOu could basically make them somewhat a carbon copy of each other, but with the flavor of their own side placed in. Such as a druid like (wow druid i mean.) that would conjure forth constructs that they would either use or imhabit them(maybe be able to inhabit them at a deeper point in the tree to unlock more and increasing power of them). Till later in the tree i would have them have quite weak spells, but has a higher rate of generating charge, and when they have the charge they need they could buff their construct. Now the constructs that would be used would be some of the ones in game now with only a healer version missing. The tree would have talents that are more about buffing one or two of the constructs then a overall buff to all of them, although this could only start to happen at higher places in the tree as well. I woujld do this with the guardian by making it more like they channel their god/goddess's power into themselves or bringing a minion of the god into being to work for them. Also you could do this as a plane chanaller that takes the power of a plaane into themselves gaining abbilities based on the place they are channeling.

Soulwalker

Rizz is right. It would either be a fluff soul and/or it would be pretty useless.

But, I would like some more distinguishing features between guardians and defiants, personally.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by CWerk View Post

I really hope that one day we could get Class or Soul that is unique to a certain faction, yet balanced.

and peace on earth and the lamb that lay with the wolf and rivers of milk....
    yeah, but till rapture we live in the real world, alas.
    they cant balance mirror classes, trying to balance unpaired classes would just be a laugh.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
    Unless this is a PvP soul, I rather not. In PvE only the slightest imbalance, where say the Defiant one has a 1% more damage then the Guardian one in the current mage dps cookie cutter, will set off massive QQing. In PvP not so much, due to there's ways to counter it, and ppl aren't often using Cookie Cutters. In PvE the one with "highest dps (if dps)/highest survivbility (if tank)/highest healing (if healer)" will be the best. In pvp highest dps isn't always the best for a damage dealer, but it can be sometimes.
    lol in pve who cares, you dont compete with the other faction, you dont ever _SEE_ them as everybody is shut in their own instance playing a so called mmorpg as it was a small group game like diablo - in pvp is where this would make the bigger outrage as you have to actually fight the other faction and face them constantly.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

It could be fine, BUT you are going to have complaints either way pretty much no matter how they implement them. PvE? Yes I will mention the "dreaded" WoW where one side has Paladins and the other Shamans, the complaining knew no end. PvP? The complaining in WAR has never stopped to my knowledge so that is a fairly good example.

Personally I liked it, but the complaining that comes with it gets old.
    Etna - Rogue 5/5 GSB 4/4 RoS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 10/11 HK PvP 8/8

Shadowlander

Thumbs down

Will be unfair in both PvE and PvP

The whining would be endless

Please no. This is why they nerfed the racials.

This idea has been probably talked on the forums already, but I couldn't find it, sorry.

I really hope that one day we could get Class or Soul that is unique to a certain faction, yet balanced. It will make the Defiants and the Guardians different and unique. What do you think?
    The words unique, faction, soul and balanced have no business being in the same sentence together since they can never co-exist.

The QQ about classes not being balanced is bad enough as it is and you want to add factions to the mix?
    Last edited by Naduri; 07-29-2011 at 04:10 AM.
    Anduri - Gelidra
    United Kingdoms

WoW already tried that with Paladin/Shaman and the QQ was so massive that Blizz had to make Blood Elves and Space Goats. I personally would love the idea of making each faction different, but too many players can't understand that universal 1v1 balance is an impossibility.

Plane Walker

Lore wise this doesn't work either.

Soulwalker

I guess none of you remember Daoc? Some of the most unique classes ever and the reality is it was some of the best pvp ever....functionally PVE doesn't matter.

Champion of Telara Elric-merren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coolmalik View Post
    I guess none of you remember Daoc? Some of the most unique classes ever and the reality is it was some of the best pvp ever....functionally PVE doesn't matter.
    And then i could say the same about pvp since alot of people do not pvp, and alot of people do not pve. Both sides matter and every soul should have some use in both areas, though not completely the same amount of a use or effect on both enviroments of play. Also to say pve doesn't in a game that is largely build around pve is rather stupid, now if we were playing darkfall or other more pvp centrict i would agree that pve is not that big of a issue, but we are not playing such games. I find most any class pretty bland weither it is from wow or daoc, but i played back in table top D&D (2'nd edition beofre i quit keeping up and started making a universe based off these rules and afew adjustments.) where a piest could be anythign frokm a healer to a damage dealer based on who he worshipped and also what he chose to use.

Soulwalker

Factions should be completely different. Classes should be completely different. And players should be able to customize their characters to the fullest. Unfortunately all modern MMOs fail in these areas.

I know, balancing would be an issue but getting it done is someting I expect from a developer. That's what open betas should be for (besides fixing bugs and getting feedback about the content). The fear that something might be unbalanced should not be used against a world of differences.

WoW was a sad example. Even the small differences the game had when it was released were killed. Both factions were made equal later. And so far no game after WoW learned from that fail. Rift for example, as much as I like it, offers little reason to play the second faction again after you "finished" the one you started with. And the character customisation, especially the face options, are a joke.
    Last edited by Stahl; 07-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast