+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Tanking Class?

Soulwalker

Default Best Tanking Class?

Hello, I just came back to RIFT after playing it in Beta. I always enjoy playing tank classes in MMOs, and was wondering what the best tank class is currently. You can base "best" off of:

1) Small or Large Learning Curve
    2) Difficulty of Attaining/Holding Aggro
    3) Mitigation for Boss Fights
    4) Current need for in the community

Thank you!

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisacer9 View Post
    Hello, I just came back to RIFT after playing it in Beta. I always enjoy playing tank classes in MMOs, and was wondering what the best tank class is currently. You can base "best" off of:

Thank you!
    1) Seems Cleric and to a lesser degree Rogue tanks have the larger learning curve.

2) Ive seen all 3 do just fine with aggro...........but refer to #1

3) Seen all 3 do fine..........again refer to #1

4) The community needs TANKS......period.

to add to the above, the general thought is that:

warriors are best at aoe aggro
    rogues are best at single target
    clerics need help, you better be good at playing them, but they can tank everything in the game, all 3 can, actually

thats pretty much what youll find searching the forums

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisacer9 View Post

Thank you!
    1. Warriors are very easy to pick up. Clerics are easy to understand, but a little harder to play than warriors. I have no idea about rogues, but I would say they have the largest learning curve

2. Warriors win.

3. Warriors/rogues

4. Cleric community could use more tanks, because we need a larger voice.
    Hiphop - Cleric
    Nasa - Warrior
    of <Dominance>, Faemist

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    rogues are best at single target
    spotter's orders would like to talk to you
    Hiphop - Cleric
    Nasa - Warrior
    of <Dominance>, Faemist

Soulwalker

Hmmm okay. Well thanks to those that have commented thus far. I have a level 20+ Rogue and Cleric and just haven't gotten around to starting a warrior.

the warrior is the best tank, period.

they have the best single target threat, the best aoe target threat, they have comparable if not better survivability then any other tank in every situation, and they have a great raid wide buff that increases raid wide dps and neither the rogue or cleric has any raid wide buff to compete. the only downside is as a rogue you can have 1 role specced to tank any encounter, and as a warrior you're going to have multiple roles specced for tanking, to be most effective.
    Last edited by Atavax; 07-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
    the beatings will continue until morale improves

I haven't found a group yet that could get aggro off me either single target or AoE targets as a cleric tank. If a cleric can't hold aggro they either A) suck or B) someone is using a taunt in there rotation.

Do yourself a favor and roll a cleric.

Sez

Just roll a warrior. If you are truly tank focused, just pick a warrior, like all games.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Bobopedic View Post
    spotter's orders would like to talk to you
    im just repeating what i constantly hear in lvl 50 chat and forums, both of those would like to talk to you (see, i can do it too)

spotters order is also getting changed. Although I didnt really understand the change.

Server: Now at Laethys (Was: Estrael)
    Toon: FrozenBlood
    Class: warrior - Raid Tank - (G)
    Guild: --

Champion

cleric is the easiest to spec as it's one tree and fairly obvious choices in second and third souls. however holding aoe aggro is a chore as outside of two long cooldown aoe's (one being the same 1 minute taunt all tanks get) their aoe is limited to 5 targets

rogues are easy to hose. there are only two soul setups that work, but i frequently see rogue-***** doing rift/sab and pulling with...blast charge. yep i typed that out - blast charge. not shadow blitz. blast charge. they also require you to get buffs up in a hurry otherwise you're just a melee dps with no dps with higher armor. rogues are also running into mitigation scaling issues. their aoe is limited to 8 targets outside of one other aoe they get at 44 on a longish cd.

warriors are just faceroll easy. they have many options and at least 2-3 different tank builds they can setup to handle almost any situation. the 5% miss aura from warlord is instant threat that normal healing cant take from him and combine it with spotters order and nothing comes off the warrior. they can not only block, but have higher blocked damage than clerics and can also get rather high pure avoidance in terms of parry and dodge.

all that being said for 5 mans it really comes down to cleric or warrior. why is this? because rogue tanks have no interrupt and no purge. both warrior and cleric tanks spec for both. sounds minor if you arent 50. do a few experts and it becomes critical when your lfd queue gives you nothing but other rogues as dps who - if they dont have a 44 marks build and nobody does for dps - dont generally have a purge and not all clerics pick it up either.

this to me is the key issue that sets rogues below clerics and warriors for general 5 man dungeon tanking. it's pretty rare you actually get a dps'er that's so geared and so good they can rip from a cleric or rogue tank - those people normally only run with guild groups. but this utility and the ramp-up time rogues have that they cant do pre-emptively out of combat makes them difficult to deal with in 5 man dungeons.

Plane Touched

Warrior have the best threat generation and spotters orders. They need resist sigils and runes for certain encounters raid tanking. They excel against physical damage, but have a little more trouble vs magical. If you are going to raid tank, you will need a ton of tanking roles. Best for trash tanking and spotters is great for raid dps on bosses.

Rogues can tank anything (so far) without resist sigils, have more health, but take a bit of effort to get off the ground. Rogue's biggest advantage is you will only need one tanking role. They are arguably better boss tanks, but lack the amazing raid DPS boost from SO.

Clerics don't really tank. They can tank a number of things, but as soon as you need an extra healer the cleric is back to healer duty. They can raid tank a number of things, but I've never seen them try to tank the most dangerous fights to know if it is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by OoieGooie View Post
    spotters order is also getting changed. Although I didnt really understand the change.
    Instead of being damage per hit, it is just ~500 bonus damage on one hit every 3s. So DoT heavy builds get a nerf, non-DoT builds get a buff, and healers who can try to put one DoT on the target get a buff. The duration change doesn't matter, there are no other good tank finishers. Any other tank finisher that is worth putting up has 1 minute+ cooldown.
    Last edited by Warskull; 07-27-2011 at 12:26 PM.

Plane Walker

Warriors are both the easiest to play and the best multi-purpose tank. Clerics are pretty easy to play but have horrible magic mitigation, which almost every mob in this game has a magic affinity. Rogues are the most difficult to play and the squishiest on physical damage. Rogues will do best on single target casters, warriors are best with aoe aggro and are relatively easy to heal, clerics are below warriors in about every aspect but alleviates some of the healers burden on group heals.

If you plan on tanking it's a no brainer, warrior.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hexelonious View Post
    I haven't found a group yet that could get aggro off me either single target or AoE targets as a cleric tank. If a cleric can't hold aggro they either A) suck or B) someone is using a taunt in there rotation.

Do yourself a favor and roll a cleric.
    Then you haven't had to tank for good dps when your not raid buffed. Because I know rogues who can blow CD's and peel a boss off me mid fight, even though I'm spamming self heals at every occasion to get bonus threat.

Your experience also sounds like you have never off tanked in a raid.

If your Off tanking for a warrior in a tank switching situation. The warrior will have to be careful not to pull the boss off of you. It will literally take effort on his part not to if he is running SO (which he/she will be).

Clerics only get a 4x threat multiplier. Warriors: 5x. Rogue: to lazy to go check.

To OP: Even though this saddens me to say, if you want to be a Main Tank. Choose warrior. They get the best everything, with the least amount of effort/skill to achieve it.

Rogue is also ok, but you will have trouble with aoe threat. Single target, a Rogue tank is amazing, but out side of that they are very niche in their applications as Main Tank.

Cleric tank is Trion's joke of building a tanking class designed solely for off tanking (currently as the soul stands that is how I interpret it, as that is its only desirable application). Yes, its a raid tank, but its a raid Off tank. Currently, there is no logical reason for using one to MT something, unless its all you have available (or just for hits and giggles, or your still in the Teir1/Teir2/normal dungeon noobie zones). The cleric tank is built around being able to switch between healing and tanking mid fight, meaning it can go back to healing when the off tanking is no longer needed.
    Last edited by Malbojia; 07-27-2011 at 04:23 PM.
    A little reading comprehension goes a long way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast