+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Is this game not supposed to have a DoT class

General of Telara

Default Is this game not supposed to have a DoT class

I also posted this in the Test Forum but I figured more players would read it here

Its been talked about even since the Betas that DoTs were pitiful yet nothing has been done. Only buff I can think of is that they made it so each individually tick had a chance to crit. Why wont they buff DoTs? They are laughable in WFs cause a bard or chloro just heals through. Even leveling they hardly hit harder than if I meleed the mob with my staff. I dont want to bring up other games but I have played several DoT classes in different MMOs dating back to the release of Everquest in 1999. This game by far has the weakest DoTs compared to any of them. Why do they refuse to buff DoTs?

Just for lolz I cast 3 DoTs from my level 21 necro/lock on a level 11 mob and they actually ticked for their full durations before it died. That is just unacceptable that it takes the full duration of all 3 of my DoTs to kill something half my level.

Please buff DoT damage.

well if i had to guess fro, my own experience its due to just how hard it is to balance. at higher levels dot damage does improve and indeed with this last patch we saw an increase in dot damage. in pvp chloro/lock and necro/lock still remain viable choices (we will see how these fair with 1.4) and currently lock/necro is a viable spec in pve.do to the sheer number, not to mention the other tools the soul system gives you access too its fairly easy for dot classes to scale out of control easily. right now the playstyle is in decent shape.
    "I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won."

reaver used to be good. it was destroyed from the whining. why do you think they will go back to that?

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisdeath View Post
    reaver used to be good. it was destroyed from the whining. why do you think they will go back to that?
    Then whats the point of even having them? Just make everything a DD spell.

I dunno, a couple of my dps builds are damage over time dependent.

Aren't assassins supposed to be DoT-partially dependent??
    [Insert witty comment here, followed by chuckles and admiration for me.]

Quote Originally Posted by Delimeat567 View Post
    Aren't assassins supposed to be DoT-partially dependent??
    Yes, not that it's a very dps-ish soul. But it's great as a 2nd soul for a lot of rogue builds that are dependent on bleeds and damage over ticks...

Just casually exploring different builds in callings, an awful lot of them the way you enhance your output is by adding damage over time.

Trion has made moves to decrease the role/efficacy of DoTs, and 1.4 patch may end up killing them entirely.

Shield of Telara

no good pvp game has any class that can just stand in the back and tab dot and top the scores, so sad that you must use the other 90% of your skills on your warlock

Quote Originally Posted by Bejita View Post
    no good pvp game has any class that can just stand in the back and tab dot and top the scores, so sad that you must use the other 90% of your skills on your warlock
    Rift isn't a pvp-oriented game, and no real pvp game has anything like "top the scores"

I don't think any dps-minded person plays warlock, more of a supplement class, like assassin.

Look at Inquisitor. Best single damage skill is a DOT.
    Look at Saboteur and variants -- best damage skill is a DOT.
    Look at Ranger and variants -- note the importance of DOT.

So many trees, how do I make better damage? there's soul points spent add DOT to crits, DOT to your main attack, etc.

Consider spotters orders and that thing storm callers do - add damage to everything you do, so the most successful builds are ones that do lots of little bits of damage, rather than one big nuke on a slow cast.

My experience in Rift is that DoTs that run their course generally produces better DPS per use of a global cooldown, but they *must* run their entire duration.

For example, a direct damage skill may do 300 damage, while a dot will do 400ish over 12 seconds. (Not taking into account crits).

You can build a class with augmented dots (for example, making them tic harder or last longer), but you'll still want to use other skills in between those dots.

For example, a lot of assassins use Expose Weakness and then open from stealth with another DoT. Then they usually go to work bursting you to pieces with direct damage while those DoTs are going off. You'll need more than bard cadence or life giving veil heals to survive that.
    Eshlon@Greybriar

Telaran

For DPS, Inquisitors have lots of scaling done in their DoTs. Mix in cab, and you could probably do a good portion of DoTs only.

I can't understand why people constantly say "My DOTs just get healed by a bard!" That Bard healing is going out regardless of your DOT, and with your DOT, that heal is only taking them back to full every tick. Add in other damage, and their life will start going down, rather than staying up. DOTs put pressure on the outgoing heals. They are the direct counter to the opponents HPS.

Soulwalker

This game does have a damage over time spec maybe do a bit more research before posting?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Arynite View Post
    My experience in Rift is that DoTs that run their course generally produces better DPS per use of a global cooldown, but they *must* run their entire duration.

For example, a direct damage skill may do 300 damage, while a dot will do 400ish over 12 seconds. (Not taking into account crits).

You can build a class with augmented dots (for example, making them tic harder or last longer), but you'll still want to use other skills in between those dots.

For example, a lot of assassins use Expose Weakness and then open from stealth with another DoT. Then they usually go to work bursting you to pieces with direct damage while those DoTs are going off. You'll need more than bard cadence or life giving veil heals to survive that.
    you're confusing things.

dps is dmg per second. for a dot to equal the dps of a spell that does 300 dmg every 1.5 seconds, it woult have to tick for 200 every second. there are no dots in the game that on their own do the same damage as void bolt

you are thinking of dmg per mana which an entirely different conversation.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Dixa View Post
    you're confusing things.

dps is dmg per second. for a dot to equal the dps of a spell that does 300 dmg every 1.5 seconds, it woult have to tick for 200 every second. there are no dots in the game that on their own do the same damage as void bolt

you are thinking of dmg per mana which an entirely different conversation.
    That would be true if you would cast a DOT, and then do nothing while it tics away... If you think you should be able to throw up a dot (takes one GCD) and then deal the same DPS as someone spamming void bolts for the 14 seconds the DOT tics, you and I have very diffrent ideas of game blance.

Consider a 30 sec fight:
    Person A casts spells that deal 200 damage, and take 2 seconds to cast - he deals 15*200=3000 damage during the fight, 100 DPS.

Person B throws up a dot at the beginning of the fight and in the middle of the fight. both tick for 14 seconds of 40 damage. while these spells are ticking he casts the same spell as person A.
    He will be able to cast (30-2*1.5)/2 = 13 spells, dealing 2600 damage. In addition his dot's will deal 28*40=1120, for a total of 3720 damage, which is 124 DPS.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast