+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I wish the community would help new players more.

Soulwalker

Default I wish the community would help new players more.

Rift is an interesting game and a nice change in pace from my five years of playing WoW. But, one thing this game is missing is player made post about how to level a toon, what specs are fun, and how each class plays. The classes and build are much more intricate than those of WoW due to the large variety of talent trees. So maybe some of the more veteran players of this game could start an effort to tell new players how to level and spec and just over all what is fun right now.

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Chaney View Post
    Rift is an interesting game and a nice change in pace from my five years of playing WoW. But, one thing this game is missing is player made post about how to level a toon, what specs are fun, and how each class plays. The classes and build are much more intricate than those of WoW due to the large variety of talent trees. So maybe some of the more veteran players of this game could start an effort to tell new players how to level and spec and just over all what is fun right now.

Or new players could learn it like those "veterans" did when they were new players to Rift....which was not that long ago actually. Just a thought.

Ascendant

At the top of every class's forum, you'll see a sticky. " Rift Community Guide Compendium - Warriors" Click that to get access to the guides and whatnot that people have posted.

Soulwalker

There are far too many soul variations to give an accurate cookie cutter build that works for you ... you have to personalise it to what you want. Also there are compendiums at the top of each class thread, FYI. ( what caydin said )
    Last edited by Ornah; 07-26-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Ascendant

Each of the class threads has a sticky at the top with links to guides. Combine that with the search function and some general wandering through posts and you can get quite a bit of information.

I don't have time to spend all day hitting target dummies and respeccing either, but it doesn't take much research to narrow down your options.

If you really can't find it in any of those ways, you can always try posting specific questions. Just be ready to ignore the 2/3s of posts that come from trolls, and take what you can from the other 1/3.
    The Roguepocalypse is upon us!

How to level a toon? That's a joke right.
    What's fun for me may not be fun for you and so far and long may it continue there are no cookie cutter builds. The variety in soul trees is the best and most personal feature it allows for individual play it's not so much what you play it's how you like to play and no-one should tell you that.

Telaran

Sorry, we're too busy *****ing about balance changes to care about new players in low level content that doesn't matter.

Rift Disciple

how to level a toon - simply play the game. You will level so fast in Rift that you do not need a guide on how to do it. In fact many players will tell you that you sometimes level too fast.

what specs are fun - this answer is different for every player, as it should be. However as pointed out in several other posts, there is a sticky at the top of each callings forum that lists the various guides that the "veteran" players have put together to help the "new" Rift player.

how each class plays - Trion themselves have done this. Just look at the discription of each calling and soul on the main Rift web site. Then you can look at the calling forums for more information from the players.
    Last edited by dbmoreland; 07-27-2011 at 05:11 AM.

If your a warrior or a mage do a search for posts from ciderhelm and bluedot respectively.

Forget the guys name, but a rogue started a website just for rogues (maybe someone can link it).

Rift Chaser

Melkrow did a pretty decent job for AoE cleric levelling builds too.

Champion of Telara

I am sympathetic to your main point here, this game has way less community documentation about these things than many mmos do.

There are a couple reasons for this.

1. The game is very easy. There is no need to discuss finer points of setup because most things are simple and streamlined. Everything before end game raiding is so easy that you don't really need people to write up info on soul specifics pre-50.

2. Trion makes major changes to class balance on a near monthly basis that renders soul spec and other advice quickly irrelevant.

3. Many of the early adopter "power users" have left the game due to further simplification of mechanics in pvp and difficulty in pve (as I understand, since I've never bothered). Rift also suffers from not really knowing what kind of game it is. Is it raid based? Dungeon based? Pvp based? They haven't really established an identity and added a lasting end-game beyond "raid the next tier and stop."

+ Reply to Thread