+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tanking in PVP

Soulwalker

Default Tanking in PVP

DPS and Healing are usful in PVP but will tanks be usfull? WIl they shield allys? Sould share dmg with a friend ?

Or are tanks going to be able to swap to DPS easily for PVP.

Either way is good but I just want to know tanks are not going to get the short end of the stick and be stuck with PVE content.

Also please dont post telling me how awesome tanks can be in PVP and that you just need to play them skillfuly. It is true tanks can somtimes be situantionaly good or hold a point longer because they can take more dmg. Its just a fact that tank in open world PVP and big battlegrounds generally are not needed.

Yes CTF its nice to get a TANK on the flag but that is again situational and usless in open world.

I'm not a PvP fan but it can be Implemented like in eq2 where agro ability's work on players forcing them to switching on tank, or give diffferent ability for damage interception and some sort of crowd control like WHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicacbx View Post
    DPS and Healing are usful in PVP but will tanks be usfull? WIl they shield allys? Sould share dmg with a friend ?

You will be able to easily swap to dps, they've stated there will be up to 4 preset class builds (talents) you can swap to easily at any point in time so long you are not in combat
    Don't try to save yourself, the circle is complete.

While the swapping to dps is great...

I'd hope thought is put into making the "PVE" abilities useful in PVP as well. Warhammer for all its failings did a good job at this. Taunts when used on someone would make their damage output drop on anyone but the taunting tank for the duration. Most every ability was just as useful in PVP as PVE (some were useless in both but that is another matter..)

Quote Originally Posted by Albieos View Post
    While the swapping to dps is great...

I'd hope thought is put into making the "PVE" abilities useful in PVP as well. Warhammer for all its failings did a good job at this. Taunts when used on someone would make their damage output drop on anyone but the taunting tank for the duration. Most every ability was just as useful in PVP as PVE (some were useless in both but that is another matter..)
    It's funny because I generally feel OP as a tank in any kind of battle. While we dont have that insane burst we have debuffs, stuns, pulls, charges, and self heals which have always made me damn near unkillable. When people ignored I would just shield their focus and chain stun healers.

Now i wouldnt complain if we had PVP force taunts and even more PVE->PVP skills.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Krassus View Post
    It's funny because I generally feel OP as a tank in any kind of battle. While we dont have that insane burst we have debuffs, stuns, pulls, charges, and self heals which have always made me damn near unkillable. When people ignored I would just shield their focus and chain stun healers.

Now i wouldnt complain if we had PVP force taunts and even more PVE->PVP skills.
    I really enjoyed my paladin in Vanguard, an amazing tanking class in PvE, and an absolute beast in PvP if played correctly both in solo and group scenarios (Moreso in groups).

I do identify with tanks getting the short end of the stick in PvP in quite a few games though.
    Last edited by Hane; 08-18-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    DF: Hane KVen - 100 Polearm Mastery / Sharpshooter / All Magic Schools - NA1 - Zealot
    EQ: Redeemer Sumdyar - 70 Paladin - Vallon Zek - Defiant
    EQ2: Sumdyar - 50 Assassin - Nagafen - Defiant
    WoW: Sumdyar - 60 Priest - Mannoroth - Defiant
    VG: Tournament Champion Sumdyar the Pure - 50 Paladin - Sartok - Xanit K`Ven

Pfft.. I never said tanks weren't generally good in PvP.

I just liked that even the abilities that are generally useless in PvP had their use. While Aion had the pull and such they still had some abilities that were useless in PvP that could have been turned into something interesting. (Not just tanks either though..)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Musicacbx View Post

Either way is good but I just want to know tanks are not going to get the short end of the stick and be stuck with PVE content.

Also please dont post telling me how awesome tanks can be in PVP and that you just need to play them skillfuly. It is true tanks can somtimes be situantionaly good or hold a point longer because they can take more dmg. Its just a fact that tank in open world PVP and big battlegrounds generally are not needed.

Yes CTF its nice to get a TANK on the flag but that is again situational and usless in open world.
    Yes, they will be able to switch between templates, so they can go full DD in a minute. Anyway, tanks should still be made useful in pvp, all classes should - there are multitude of skills that can be adjusted so that tanks become good group pvpers, for example if the provoke skills work on PCs too.

I mentioned this in the Warrior thread but will say it here as well because I feel that in most games, warriors lack useful group skills that prevent group members from taking damage.

For instance, if I'm a sword and shield tank, why can't I use my shield to intercept a melee or arrow attack directed at someone right next to me? In DAoC, tanks could do exactly that. The percentage was much lower compared to PvE, but if I had Guard on a healer or caster, my Hero had a high chance to block incoming attacks thanks to my naturally high dexterity as a Lurikeen and stats from spec/equipment. As long as the group member was right next to me, the skill stayed active. There was even a skill obtained through the Master Levels in the Trials of Atlantis expansion called Bodyguard. I would block 100% of every melee and ranged attack against the person to whom I activated the skill. Basically, whoever was attacking had to kill me to get to their prey.

Engage was another useful ability in PvE and PvP. Lets say I spotted an archer who was no longer stealthed, and was targeting a healer or caster in my group. I'd click Engage and target the beneficiary. As long as I didn't swing my weapon, and the group member stayed next to me, I would block pretty much every arrow.

As a protective tank, I don't want to just end up being a meatshield absorbing damage and get in groups because of my high HP.
    Last edited by mairsile; 08-19-2010 at 09:18 AM.

If taunts change targets in PvP they will always be useful. Switching to dps would make them not a tank. In my opinion tanks are not meant to spike damage people down. They are to have stuns, slows, taunts, group damage mitigation, and possibly pulls to take people of friendlies ( aka inescapable judgment: Aion). Not every character has to be able to kill one another. Characters serve roles to ultimately win together. MMO PvP is not supposed to be about 1v1 balancing as it causes issues throughout the game, and makes it feel bland after a while. A tank is not supposed to be a big hitter anywhere, they take damage. They should be able to kill, but giving them too much killing power coupled with defensive powers over powers them. Then they give dps classes more defense to coupe, and so their class roles are gone. How fun is that?

I've often felt that PvE and PvP shouldn't be so disconnected from each other. If a player enjoys a class, let them play it in both settings without forcing them into another spec. A good way to help tanks do this and still mantain their "tanking" functionallity is to allow their most valued PvE assets to assist them in PvP. While i do not agree with forcing people to attack someone else, i think taunt abilities should reduce the targets damage output drastically unless they attack the player taunting them. That way, it doesn't turn taunt into a CC spell. There are other things that i would like to discuss on this, but this thread is just about tanks and that is where i stand on helping tanks be tanky in PvP. (plus the usual shielding damge from others and whatnot but that stuff is assumed to work as normal)

Taunts only would make them switch targets to the one taunting them. They could switch back. Its only meant as an interrupt ability. Locking them for any period of time is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Osias View Post
    If taunts change targets in PvP they will always be useful. Switching to dps would make them not a tank. In my opinion tanks are not meant to spike damage people down. They are to have stuns, slows, taunts, group damage mitigation, and possibly pulls to take people of friendlies ( aka inescapable judgment: Aion). Not every character has to be able to kill one another. Characters serve roles to ultimately win together. MMO PvP is not supposed to be about 1v1 balancing as it causes issues throughout the game, and makes it feel bland after a while. A tank is not supposed to be a big hitter anywhere, they take damage. They should be able to kill, but giving them too much killing power coupled with defensive powers over powers them. Then they give dps classes more defense to coupe, and so their class roles are gone. How fun is that?
    This!. A good tank its capable of kill anyone with a good use of stuns, taunt, etc. Of course range classes will always have an advante vs the slow tank stereotype

Tanks should certainly be able to taunt other players in PvP.
    GeeksNGamers.com- Get Plugged In!

force targeting is absurd. it ruins pvp.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast