+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior DPS

Soulwalker

Default Warrior DPS

So I was aiming for a warrior DPS build that would allow me to be able to use a one handed sword and shield but that doesn't seem like it can happen. I ended up going with Champion/Paragon/Beastmaster but I feel like it wont work out now because Champion focuses on 2h weapons while Paragon is duel-wielding.

My aim is to use one handed swords so should I drop champion for something else, or could it work? Better yet (If possible), is there a DPS build that could match my sword and shield idea? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by PyPaw View Post
    So I was aiming for a warrior DPS build that would allow me to be able to use a one handed sword and shield but that doesn't seem like it can happen. I ended up going with Champion/Paragon/Beastmaster but I feel like it wont work out now because Champion focuses on 2h weapons while Paragon is duel-wielding.

My aim is to use one handed swords so should I drop champion for something else, or could it work? Better yet (If possible), is there a DPS build that could match my sword and shield idea? Thanks.
    You'll probably want to stick a Reaver soul in there somewhere, as taken from the classes description on the website:

"Although Reavers can wield a full range of armors and weapons, they are most effective in heavy armor, carrying a shield in one hand and a weapon in the other."

I would probably combine it with either a Paladin, to enhance your defensive capabilities, whilst for the third soul, you could keep Paragon, for those times when you don't need your shield (overleveled for an instance for example) and having that second weapon (dual wield) would be much more beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by JVassie View Post
    You'll probably want to stick a Reaver soul in there somewhere, as taken from the classes description on the website:

"Although Reavers can wield a full range of armors and weapons, they are most effective in heavy armor, carrying a shield in one hand and a weapon in the other."

I would probably combine it with either a Paladin, to enhance your defensive capabilities, whilst for the third soul, you could keep Paragon, for those times when you don't need your shield (overleveled for an instance for example) and having that second weapon (dual wield) would be much more beneficial.
    Riftblades are awesome, their dps is good and their utility is good. They are melee dps with spells such as spears from range and good action point finishing moves, they also don't have any specification of weapons in there tree meaning they can be paired and played with anything. 1h, 2h or duel wield...your choice. They also have good AOE damage later in the tree (around lvl 15-20 you start getting it). If you want a beefy 1h dps go with a Riftblade and pair it with something like a Reaver or a Paladin. If you paired it with reaver you would have some good defensive spells while being able to apply dots. But it would be a lot of abilities to constantly apply while trying to focus on riftblade skills but could work. If you paired it with maybe a paladin or another defensive class you could do it in a similar matter.

Personally, Im a riftblade/Paragon/Reaver. I duel wield with paragon dps and riftblade spell DPS its nasty. My dps seems to be matched only by certain 2h champs...and 2h champs and tanky types (paladins, justicars people with heals) seem to be the only ones I lose duels too. But if you aren't interested in 2h or duel wield then riftblade+a shield soul is better.
    Last edited by Mamox; 01-10-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Rift Disciple

I've been going Riftblade/Paragon/Champion, with the main focus on Paragon, and I've been doing some pretty serious damage. I think it might be the ultimate type-A hyper-aggressive throw-caution-to-the-wind melee build.

My only issue is I tend to draw aggro very quickly and don't have a whole lot of to defend myself ability-wise (at least not yet), so against uber-mobs (like the 200K+ HP ones that were ceaselessly tormenting Sanctum Watch yesterday) I have to back off and use ranged attacks. I've spent my fair share of time running back from the graveyard.
    Last edited by chitown; 01-10-2011 at 07:54 AM.

if you want to use your shield to hit the enemy, i'm prettyu sure the paladin is the class to have. to make it more dps oriented, the champion has alot of physical attacks that pair well with the paladin's attacks and i think it an obvious choice. the third soul could be beast master, you get a pet to increase your dps, plus you could spend 5 pts and get +5 to hit, without any other points spent on it. something like this: http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...astmaster.5000 i imagine you wouldn't be doing enough damage to be in a group for dps, but it could be pretty decent build for soloing.
    Last edited by Atavax; 01-10-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    the beatings will continue until morale improves

Rift Chaser

Paladin really isn't a dps build, most of it's talents focus on defensive abilities.

The only primary dps role for warrior's that has full functionality with 1h+shield is the riftblade. Damage output is really solid at lower levels although i do have some doubts about if it can keep up at higher levels without any power return mechanics that can be found in some of the other soul's.

I ran a Riftblade/Paragon with beastmaster or warlord souls for pet/5% hit debuff as desired. Went 6 points in Paragon just for the Way that provides 5% crit increase as crit's are EXTREMELY important for riftblades. Even with 1H+Shield it felt like things just exploded especially when I crit.

Rift Disciple

From my experience parsing there are only two good DPS Builds -

Mainly Riftblade / Touch Paragon / Champ Empty
    Mainly Champ / Touch Paragon / Riftblade Empty

Now this is with the current level cap of 27 ...eventually putting points into Champ / Riftblade for the two builds would be necessary.

Riftblade/reaver/paladin is probably the best dps you'll get out of sword and board. riftblades and reavers get alot of non-weapon related damage abilities, and 5-10 points in pally will maximize performance passively with a sword and board spec.

Wow... No one mentions VK? Discharge = best single target spike attack.

VK/PA/CH hand down best sword + board build.
    12/12/12

Ranged Stun, Spike finisher in the 800 - 1K range, battle charge, AOE fear, 2 reactive + 1 attack not subject to GCD, 100% heal. blocks generate AP, strip 3 buffs from target, increase target cast time 20%

You won't do as much DPS as a DW or 2Her, but you won't be that far off either.
    Last edited by MadMainer; 01-10-2011 at 01:55 PM.

Soulwalker

I've been having success with Reaver/Champion/Warlord. For being 1h/shield, I kill things almost as fast as my CHampion/Riftblade build with 2h and barely receive any damage. Even though these are not the final role layouts. In the end It will look like this http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/build...arlord.1505000. Of course there will be some fine tuning after launch. But that will be mostly what it looks like. Can tank like a champ and still do pretty good dps.

Plane Touched

Default Unfortunately... No.

Hi PyPaw,

I've always liked SnB myself, and enjoyed huge Shield Slam crits in WoW. Unfortunately, though, although I enjoyed playing a Paladin (up to lvl 17 this weekend), and specifically combined him with Riftblade and VK in an attempt to make him as deadly as possible, when I'd finally saved up enough new souls to try Champ and BM, I was amazed at how much the Paladin lacked (dps-wise only) compared to this build. I mean, after playing the Champ/BM for a few *minutes* I was blowing away the Paladin. This is a non-scientific analysis, but I'd say the Paladin (with a blue rep 1h) kills things in 5 swings and the Champ (green quest reward 2h)... in 3.

*But* after playing Blade Dancer first and being disappointed with the dps and the insane concentration on the keyboard necessary to do any damage (and I wrote a macro for all of my main attacks so Reprisal, a powerful instant attack, fired automatically when it was ready), I was very happy with my Paladin's mechanics, dps, and group utility until I tried Champ/BM (I still like the Paladin, but your post was concerned with SnB dps).

This could *easily* be fixed if the developers wanted SnB to be viable for dps--it worked for the Roman Empire and the Greeks--but I don't see that happening.

But I'll be there shoulder-to-shoulder with you when it does!
    Last edited by Atar; 01-10-2011 at 03:43 PM.

+ Reply to Thread