+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker Class??

Exclamation Riftstalker Class??

From the IGN Handson article: http://au.pc.ign.com/articles/111/1113689p1.html

During my play session with the developers, I was a combination of an assassin your standard high-damage rogue character and a riftstalker something more along the lines of a caster class. This combination allowed me to throw up a damage absorbing shield by using combo-points I racked up against the opponents at the wrong end of a sharp blade. I ended up tanking an early dungeon in the game called Realm of the Fae.
    Very VERY interesting I must say!! I look forward to finding out more about this class!

Yea riftstalker sounds like a really interesting class combining caster + rogue = sure win in awesomeness. Can't wait to find out more as well

Definately sounds interesting from the snippet we get in that article, looking foward to more info about the Riftstalker.

Soulwalker

Correct me if I'm wrong but a Riftstalker combined with a melee class sounds a lot like an Arcane Warrior from Dragon Age Origins. And to me that sounds pretty darn cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Emikandi View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but a Riftstalker combined with a melee class sounds a lot like an Arcane Warrior from Dragon Age Origins.
    Well... *correcting* Riftstalker has already been shown under the Rogue calling, so it IS a melee class in it's own right, whereas Arcane Warrior was more like a Mage that can wield swords. (If that's what you want I expect you'll probably see something you'd be happier with announced under the Mage calling.) I think what they are implying with Riftstalker is that it's a standard melee Rogue class, but it's specials are 'magic' based instead of Stealth or Poison. Like in said example you build your combo points then can burn them on a shield, wereas another ability may be burn the combo points to reduce the rift expansion rate by 10%, or 'summon greater portal' whereas the greater portal may take much longer to appear. I don't think it will be a cloth wearing caster that wields swords like Arcane Warrior is because the base calling of Rogue would have a higher HP count and be focused on melee, not magic.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Soulwalker

Well, actually the arcane warrior didn't use cloth armor but could use heavy armor. I found the class to be pretty boring actually, due to you really didn't get to cast any spells. You had to keep so many sustainable spells up such as flaming weapons and rock armor that it would make your mana pool nothing. All you could really do was auto attack. Your auto attack was your bread and butter. I have a feeling riftstalker will be a lot more exciting. Sorry if I derailed the topic a little but I just noticed a similarity.

Very cool article. Sounds like a great mix to face roll! the dungeon and seamless journey through seasons sounds awesome too.
    Nice write up

Sounds.. Overpowered. Lol, I have to say, I don't like the sound of a shield on a high-damage class.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Remember, it's a Rogue class. It shouldn't be getting hit at all. Any kind of defense will likely be a 'panic move'. And remember, this likely is it's way of avoiding damage. Instead of Stealth or special Dodges this class likely just absorbs the hits - not a favorite thing among healers when soft-bodied classes keep attention on them.
    **Canceled Oct '11, cannot reply on forums. Contact me through my site.**
    rabb1t.com - pc gaming hardware tech talk for everyone / rabb1t's ramblings podcast
    rabb1t's Gamer Day 2010 After Party videos
    joo can has Rift iPhone 4 and Droid wallpapers

Quote Originally Posted by rabb1t View Post
    Remember, it's a Rogue class. It shouldn't be getting hit at all. Any kind of defense will likely be a 'panic move'. And remember, this likely is it's way of avoiding damage. Instead of Stealth or special Dodges this class likely just absorbs the hits - not a favorite thing among healers when soft-bodied classes keep attention on them.
    There have been alot of pseudo tanks in games on my swashie in eq2 I have taunts and a shield line not that I would ever taken it, but I did do the group taunt which gives me 10% max health. When a MT has gone down prematurely and other tanks haven't been able to grab it I have tanked it rather well as a emergency. In the EoF expansion there was a mob that could only be tanked by scouts was kind of cool no fighter taunts could be used. I think in a pinch situation or if that tank just isn't responding to a pug in channel being able to grab a rogue spec would be a nice alternative. Probably won't be my main soul but one I will pick up for that purpose. Honestly will have to see once it's announced.

Self-survivability is a more and more common theme in MMOs as it has been in other game genres for years.

The days of not being able to protect yourself is gone. Every class more than likely is going to have some sort of option, be it total avoidance, mitigation, healing, escape, etc.
    w w w . F A E L O R . c o m
    Administrator of Rift Seekers | [former] Guild Master of <Primal> | Administrator of Halcyon Affinity
    Rift Podcast | Rift Seekers is currently dormant for various reasons, thank you for understanding | Telerapedia

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aahingenuity View Post
    Sounds.. Overpowered. Lol, I have to say, I don't like the sound of a shield on a high-damage class.
    Overpowered is what every class wants and needs to be.
    As long as they are strongly situational and as long as they cannot occur too often.

A Mage-Wizard for instance wants to cast a Fireball that causes tremendous damage. If that class player did not get that, they would wander why they had to wear cloth, or why a Fireball doesn't exactly cause things to turn into a pile of ash on the ground.

Some abilities should enable spells to go off the chart - purely as a situational caveat; a sort of inspirational reason you wanted that class in the first place to be your main character.

Players want to be Beastmasters. Not everyone does.
    Players want to be Mages. Not everyone does.
    Players want to be Armoured tanks. Not everyone does.

Therefore, it has to have something as an inspirational reason matching that expectation to focus on their most liked class.

This is starting to sound like and remind me of my D&D elf Wizard/Rogue I use to play. I'm getting excited just thinking about it.

Plane Touched

Sounds like an interesting Soul.

I dont think I'd use it as a primary soul, but depending on the skill break down, a few points invented in the soul to yield either some nice buffs, or a couple of nukes to a melee dps class would be a fun addition.

Pretty sure the new videos from gamescon are of a riftstalker.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast