+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which Class - need help!

Soulwalker

Default Which Class - need help!

Hey folks,

I've been having a bit of trouble with trying to decide what to play. There are so many choices, makes a new player like me feel a little bit confused.

Essentially what I'm looking for is: DAMAGE! I love to DPS, I love seeing big numbers fly over people's heads. What should I be leaning toward class wise? I have no preference between ranged and melee, magic and physical. I just want to dish out some hurt.

Soulwalker

You'll be switching quite a lot then. From what I hear Trion's still fleshing classes out quite a bit, so lotsa nerfs and buffs are flying around...in other words you won't be able to pick solely on damage for quite a bit in terms of long term playage.

Telaran

right now - warrior. Doesn't look like 1.4 will really change that.

In the future - who knows?

I would just play whatever... all the classes can dps, and each has at least one competitive enough spec to keep you happy.
    The game has a very "open beta" feel to it at the moment as Trion is constantly changing classes around to a new flavor of the month with every patch, so what you go with today may or may not be the worst thing ever when you get to 50.

So, yeah, do you like healing as well as dps? Go Cleric.
    Do you want to stealth around and have good options for both ranged and melee dps? Go Rogue.
    Are you planning on tanking at any point, or just want to go with the best dps now? Go Warrior.
    Do you want to be one of the least played classes in the game, have great AoE dps, and a variety of support, healing, and dps, and maybe come back to it's former glory as top dps? Play Mage.
    Last edited by Toogeloo; 07-24-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Toogeloo View Post
    I would just play whatever... all the classes can dps, and each has at least one competitive enough spec to keep you happy.
    The game has a very "open beta" feel to it at the moment as Trion is constantly changing classes around to a new flavor of the month with every patch, so what you go with today may or may not be the worst thing ever when you get to 50.

So, yeah, do you like healing as well as dps? Go Cleric.
    Do you want to stealth around and have good options for both ranged and melee dps? Go Rogue.
    Are you planning on tanking at any point, or just want to go with the best dps now? Go Warrior.
    Do you want to be one of the least played classes in the game, have great AoE dps, and a variety of support, healing, and dps, and maybe come back to it's former glory as top dps? Play Mage.
    ^^^^ this...

Allthough I would change the mage... too. Do you want to be the buff B... in a raid setting? Play a mage! (though with the 1.4 bandaid powerstone mages may go up)
    Last edited by Hope; 07-24-2011 at 11:35 AM.

32 chloro / 20 sab / 14 ward

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Carondimonio View Post
    32 chloro / 20 sab / 14 ward
    o.O

Thanks for the replies guys, still no closer to picking, though :P

I have a mage, cleric, rogue and warrior all at lvl 17 and I'm just flat stuck. Pretty close to just rolling a pair of dice at this point.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by VandalNYC View Post
    Hey folks,

I've been having a bit of trouble with trying to decide what to play. There are so many choices, makes a new player like me feel a little bit confused.

Essentially what I'm looking for is: DAMAGE! I love to DPS, I love seeing big numbers fly over people's heads. What should I be leaning toward class wise? I have no preference between ranged and melee, magic and physical. I just want to dish out some hurt.
    The reason you are having trouble is because, you dont have a clear vision of what you like to play. Everyone dishes out damage. And everyone can deal lots of damage if specced/played.

Warrios and Clerics have 4 dps souls, Rogues have 6, Mages have 5. Read the class info in the main website, they are pretty accurate and make your decision. If you choose Warrior wou will be stuck at melee, If you choose mage you will stay at range. Clerics and especially Rogues are more versatile in this.

Plane Touched

I say rogue, they will eventually settle in as top DPS. They are melee based and wear leather. IMO Rogues should do top damage(melee not ranged). The logic is ranged is much safer and immune to boss mechanics in many cases. Melee DPS needs to be better to compensate.

I say rogue for DPS...I think in the end they will be tops.

Telaran

Warrior.

There is no reason to be anything else in this game. Trion feels that Warriors are where they should be. That means that they feel that Warriors should be crushing everyone else in terms of DPS, Tanking and PvP. So, unless you want to be a healbot, roll a Warrior to be the best at everything else.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by onihero View Post
    Warrior.

There is no reason to be anything else in this game. Trion feels that Warriors are where they should be. That means that they feel that Warriors should be crushing everyone else in terms of DPS, Tanking and PvP. So, unless you want to be a healbot, roll a Warrior to be the best at everything else.

Pretty much this...I can't believe Trion actually feels that the Warrior class is balanced.

I expect buffs to pretty much every class, but instead everything else is getting nerfed, starting with those healbots.

Most damage, best armor, most HP. Simple choice as of now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mogus View Post
    I say rogue, they will eventually settle in as top DPS. They are melee based and wear leather. IMO Rogues should do top damage(melee not ranged). The logic is ranged is much safer and immune to boss mechanics in many cases. Melee DPS needs to be better to compensate.

I say rogue for DPS...I think in the end they will be tops.
    I think this is right adjustments will probably be never ending BUT rogues will come out on top. As for the OP we're at different ends of the spectrum for me it's about having fun and I suspect this post to be a clandestine warrior bash thread but I've not played a class/combo yet that's not been fun except maybe cleric healer

+ Reply to Thread