+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The mage and his charge system

Soulwalker

Default The mage and his charge system

Hey guys,

normally I like the mage class. In WoW I loved the Warlock and the Mage. But unfortunately I dont like playing them in Rift. I hate this charge system, can't get along with it. My question is, how important is the use of the charge system ? May you simply ignore it ? Or should i roll a cleric ?

greetings

Rift Disciple

well, generally it provides a debuff to the mob(archon) while increasing the dmg output you do(warlock, chloro, pyro, SC) its used in most channel spells, and for necros is used to summon empty the crypts which is a decent dps increase.

so its fairly important to use.
    Proper Grammar isnt hard to use, so please at least use proper punctuation, since its the only difference between: Helping your Uncle, Jack, off a horse; and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Mage classes have spells that require charge to function -- some more than others. Some of these are important all the time while leveling (Soul Purge is critical to a leveling Necromancer build for instance). Others are more for group play (Stormcaller's Building Storm is quite effective but when leveling mobs are often dead before you can ramp it up to where it's useful). Still others (e.g., Dominator's Reflective Presence) are for situational use only.

Thing is, as a caster, you are always using spells. Some build charge, others use it. If you don't have charge, the ones that use it are grayed out. If you have it, they're available. There's no difficulty or mystique to it.

As a mage, you should have some idea what spells you're going to use in a given situation anyway -- so when thinking about a rotation, just leave the charge-using spells for far enough along that you will have charge. As you cast the other spells, the charge will build up on its own. Checking to see if you have the charge for your favorite spell is different from checking to see if that favorite spell is off cool-down only in where you look on the UI.

My guess is you don't like change (a lot of folks don't) but frankly this is an easy change to adjust to. Just think of charge-required spells as if they have a cool-down that you have some control over.
    Last edited by Scarlyng; 07-24-2011 at 07:35 AM.
    And thus I clothe my naked villainy
    With old odd ends, stol'n forth of holy writ;
    And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.-- William Shakespeare

Can't be ignored, alas. It's a fairly clunky mechanic. The chloro version is perhaps the best of the bunch as it doesn't consume charge like a wolf eats rabbits.

The most obnoxious being, of course, stormcaller, which has TWO charge toggles.

1.4 will add a minor quality of life improvement to charge mechanics by reducing the speed of charge decay/consumption, presumably to bring other souls up to speed with chloro charge efficiency. But fundamentally, I've never really like it. It's something I tolerate, or in the case of SC, makes me want to stick needles in my eyes.

Charge is the only reason I haven't played my Mage since hitting 50 with it (I have all callings at 50).

Mage rotations are already hectic enough, like the case with the Stormcaller. The Charge mechanic just adds one more (or depending on how many different charge abilities you have to worry about) problem to the equation of maximizing dps.

Chloro's do have it somewhat easier since they only have the one Charge worth using, but in general, I am not a fan of balancing the Charge mechanic with already convoluted rotations that the Mage has.

While questing, you can safely ignore it most of the time as Pyro/Ele. I only really use it to cast Revitalize if I'm not drinking.

In dungeons, you bet your *** I use it all up. Pyro/Ele I use it to boost my DPS for a bit or regain mana out of combat, Chlorolock I use it to boost my damage therefore heals as well as power the only life damage dealing AoE I have. Archon I use it on bosses and larger trash mobs to weaken them and to provide my group with a hefty damage boost every five minutes.

Those being the only three specs I've played with any regularity, I can't speak for the others. But as of level 40, I only really use charge in a group setting.

Plane Touched

the only charge abilities for mage that worth using are in the dominator soul for pvp, rest is garbge.

Quote Originally Posted by DontBluffMyJ View Post
    the only charge abilities for mage that worth using are in the dominator soul for pvp, rest is garbge.
    you never crit anyone for 7.5k with fulminate I guess

used to be a proud member of Rift Runners till madness took over.

Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    you never crit anyone for 7.5k with fulminate I guess
    Fulminate hasn't done that since the red ball nerf, then even less after the -20% nerf (+ a hidden nerf).
    Last edited by Stratacaster; 07-29-2011 at 02:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread