+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: the Archer ... a class thats NOT A RANGER

Default the Archer ... a class thats NOT A RANGER

Call me(us) what you want, Shadow Warriors, Stalkers, Scouts, Hunters ... just please not a ranger. at least not like the EQ1/2 ranger. I don't want to commune with nature and feed off forrest grubs, I don't want to wield magic or call my trusty hawk, wolf, cat or whatever pet you give rangers. and No i don't want to name my character XxStriderxX.

just because i use a bow doesn't mean im a ranger! ;)

I am hoping the archer class is more of the fantasy version of the sniper/scout I play in FPS games. ilke my Beloved Scout from DAOC (before the nerfed the crap out of them) or like the "ranger" (ugh) in Aion. I envision a class that isn't dancing with wolves, but is sneaking/stealthing around, reporting movement of the enemy, picking off stragglers or sneaking behind enemy lines and taking out their support classes.

a Class that focuses on certain parts of the body to not only kill but debilitate their opponents. fighting a wizard, use throat shot and shut them up, fight a Charging warrior, shoot them in the leg and stop their advance, or use power-shot and knock them down.

(and before any ranjas get upset, most of this post is just in jest ... so call your pet wolf off it's humping my leg)

thanks for reading ... feel free to add your ideas if you're and archer and tired of being lumped together as a ranger.
    Last edited by Apoth; 04-29-2010 at 10:30 AM.

This post made me laugh ;D (Not in an insulting way.)

There will probably be a difference between a class with a pet and a stealth/ranged weapon class.

Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong.

But I can't imagine, with all of the class options that we've been hearing/speculating about, that there wouldn't be some sort of obvious difference between the two.

I kind of like the whole nature-ish ranger/archer deal because you get a feel of what that class lore/background is (which is some tree hugging kid made friends with the local panther and made a bow from fallen tree bark or something >_<).

The class you're promoting has a lack of lore. Just fella who primarily (if not only) uses a bow and sneaks about.

How about add some magic to it and make it a spirit archer or something to that extent?

I love this ... you can be the Sniper. I will commune with nature and be happy! (Great post)

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post

The class you're promoting has a lack of lore. Just fella who primarily (if not only) uses a bow and sneaks about.
    down with magic and nature the only time i want to "commune with nature" is when i have to relieve myself and i "track" a bush to squat behind. LOL

as for lore, build the class lore subterfuge and stealth. Stalkers (I like that name) are taken from *insert military academy* as they have been seen to have the cunning, state of mind a deadeye that would make them ideal canidates for the Stalker initiative.

In the initiative, they are taught all the tricks in the book to how to survive in hostile situations either with their trust bow or their wits and cunning.

take that really crappily written story, add cool roleplay words with backstory from the world as well as a bit more elaborate descriptions from talented writers unlike myself and Voila ... LORE!

LOL

just don't make rangers GAY! no hippie hugging tree humpers. give me 2 swords and a bow to kill you when you run away. oh yeah and archers should wear robes and dresses, or better yet. just get rid of the bow and be a caster its all the samething!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinlin View Post
    just don't make rangers GAY! no hippie hugging tree humpers. give me 2 swords and a bow to kill you when you run away. oh yeah and archers should wear robes and dresses, or better yet. just get rid of the bow and be a caster its all the samething!
    im not wearing a dress Ill leave that to you rangers and your pet lovebird! LOL

i do look good in a dress

i do look good in a dress

yes and ill stick to wearing tight leather ... nothing gay about that! LOL (no offense to anyone)

if we end up with the 4 pages full of classes, I am sure there is room for a full ranged leather dps fighter and a full melee dps fighter. Call them what you want but I think everyone would get what they want :P I do always find it rather odd tho that a RANGEr would go melee. To me then the class name is totaly wrong. But maybe that has more to do with not beeing native and seeing the RANGE portion as part of the class.

Regards,
    Kalbuir

I agree. I love archer-type of classes. Always been a archer-type of guy. But ranger is just dull, un-creative.. and too usual at this point! Give us something else.
    Perhaps a "shadowstalker" "bowmaster" or something that hasn't been done before

So my perfect Archer class would be taken from the BADLY implemented Shadow Warrior of Warhammer with a few changes.

first off the class would have stealth, not much of a scout if you can be seen from a mile away LOL

secondly the class would have 3 stances

Sniper Stance - this would give a damage and range bonus from firing from stealth. as well as a range bonus, would increase the "cast" time of shots
    Assault stance - this would give you the ability to fire arrows on the run, with a penalty to damage
    Skirmish stance - would get a bonus to armor and melee damage but your bow attacks can't be used.

there would be a delay between switching stances in combat. so you could flip from Sniper Stance to Skirmish stance but it would take 20 seconds to flip back to sniper stance.

Favorite attacks

Throat shot - medium damage + a 6 second silence
    leg shot - low damage + root
    Eyeshot - high damage + heavily reduce casting radius
    Powershot - medium damage + a long knockback
    Sniper Shot - High damage + extra damage if done from behind (auto crit if from stealth and behind)
    Piercing shot - low damage + armor debuff.

just throwing some ideas out there.

I agree. I love archer-type of classes. Always been a archer-type of guy. But ranger is just dull, un-creative.. and too usual at this point! Give us something else.
    Perhaps a "shadowstalker" "bowmaster" or something that hasn't been done before

thats fine, they should have a bow caster class, but they also should have a ranger class. make everyone happy

thats fine, they should have a bow caster class, but they also should have a ranger class. make everyone happy

oh yeah hey don't take my post the wrong way, just because i don't want to be associated with you Aragorn wannabes doesn't mean i don't think there shouldn't be a ranger class.

i mean after all who would we get to expertly take a mobs death touch as a raid?

(again my post is in jest no offense intended)

WTB the above item .... mine broke

hahah dude, i was always the first one dead in eq1!, well when we went in to fear.. my name always got called.. every time.

aragorn is a *****... more like drizzit, thats what a ranger should be like...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast