+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why was Paladins made Guardian only?

Default Why was Paladins made Guardian only?

dag, the only holy crusader class in the game was made faction specific.

Problem I have with this, is that the limited skin tones for the Mathosians. There seems to be no dark skin tones for this human like race.

If you read the Paladin class on the site, you would see why Paladins are being considered as a faction only class at the start, they hinted that you might pick up the soul at a later point in time.

Mathosians might not have a darker skin tone because they are a northern peoples, or so the lore says, while the Eth are a more southern peoples from the desert.

http://www.curse.com/articles/rift-news/799723.aspx

Scott Hartsman: At the moment the only locks we have in testing, are the choices you make when you first create your character. As you level up, are offered quests, and find other opportunities to get souls, you'll find that both sides have access to the same souls. There are some fictional gymnastics that we have to do to make that make sense, but at the end of the day we felt the need to do that - we didn't want to create a situation where we would have to balance the sides, and that isn't a winning road for players or us.

Addiction: Rift: Section Guild Leader

http://www.addictguild.com/

I think it's based on the lore. The Guardians are the faction that worship the Gods while the Defiant see themselves on an equal level with the Pantheon.

A Paladin would be one of the most devout characters in the game, I doubt they would ally themselves with heretics.

edit:
    Scott Hartsman: At the moment the only locks we have in testing, are the choices you make when you first create your character. As you level up, are offered quests, and find other opportunities to get souls, you'll find that both sides have access to the same souls. There are some fictional gymnastics that we have to do to make that make sense, but at the end of the day we felt the need to do that - we didn't want to create a situation where we would have to balance the sides, and that isn't a winning road for players or us.
    I hadn't seen that interview, interesting choice. I was hoping they would open up most classes to both factions, but I thought they would definitely lock some classes (the Paladin especially) to one faction. Going to be interesting explaining how a Defiant Paladin receives the "divine blessings of their patron gods" when they don't even acknowledge the God's powers.
    Last edited by Knives; 08-17-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Well if they do paladin by faction only it wouldnt make since for paladins to be on defiant but maybe some high tech genious or mechanical person or something.Like a gadgeteer or something.But I mean thats just thoughts on if its faction based.

I like doing everything in groups! More joy and fun especially for the unexpected!

Its not the developers who make the profit of ideas its the community who helps while they make the greatest of ideas become the vision of what we play of there hard work!

If nothing else, unless I'm mistaken, Guardians are serving the gods, and while there may be some debate on how divine Paladins actually are in Rift, Paladins typically are servants of deity of some kind on some level. That kind of smacks in the face of the Defiant stand point of forgoing following the gods instead leaning on their tech and magic.

As for skin tone......there aren't many game that have come out in the last 3-5 years that won't let you set skin tone from one end of the spectrum to the other at least for the human races in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashra View Post
    http://www.curse.com/articles/rift-news/799723.aspx

this makes a lot of sense, less class balance issues, and just by associating with some great fighter you can watch and learn his / her moves (know thats not how it happens, was a just for instance)
    Hopefully this will lead to less nerfs over time, as has been seen way too often in the past to other games, I hope anyway

Defiant can be paladins, you just can't start as a paladin. they aren't going to restrict classes to specific factions because it creates a balance issue that would need to be constantly resolved
    Don't try to save yourself, the circle is complete.

Well think of it as this. A man goes to jail, previously he said church is for losers....

He rots in jail for 4 years and finds jesus...

Maybe they can twist lore into where you were brought back by the defiant but after some time you have some feelings towards the gods...

IDK IDK IDK just trying to convince myself.

+ Reply to Thread