+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mage versus Cleric

Soulwalker

Default Mage versus Cleric

Hey guys,

At the moment I'm in a kind of conflict. I have to low level characters, a mage and a cleric.
    As a matter of fact I am new to Rift and I am enjoying playing it.
    But the fun abates time by time, because I switch between these two characters usually.
    The results are repeatings quests, dungeons and so on. I really want to stick one class now :P
    I dont care, what class is stronger in PvP or does more damage in raids and so on.
    What really counts for me is the fun
    And as a matter of fact, smashing 2-3 buttons for killing a mob or smashing one macro for PvP is not fun, for me.
    I play the rogue as a twink, and I love the Assasin / Riftstalker ( I think thats my momentary build ).
    You have a bunch of skills and you really have to keep an eye on your rogue while playing. ( For example you have to hold up your increased Attack power through the Skill Assasinate, or you have to plane shift with a good timing and so on.)

I dont really want to draw a comparison to wow, but I loved the Warlock and Shadow Priest ( because healing was most fun for me in dungeons, hence it's the most challenging task beneath tanking)

I could think about this topic over days, and woulnd't reach a conclusion
    I even watched some PvP videos from Mages and Clerics, both appealed to me.
    Maybe you could give me some information on how these two classes develope in this game, since I am only level 20 right now. And by the way I do NOT like pets That is something what disappoints me in RIft, leveling with a mage is often compounded with ele/nectro or pets, respectively.

Well that was a long story May you can help me :/

greetings

Plane Walker

I don't have a mage so I can't give you any advice on them but my cleric is 50. I've recently tried an inquisicar build and I LOVE it, it's great for damage and support. It doesn't use a pet, but druid pets are worthless anyway, the idea is to put 11-14 points into Justicar for healing from damage and then put the rest of the points into Inquisitor for the damaging spells.

I used a heavy justicar build levelling (which was really slow) but I hear inquisicar is a good levelling build and I certainly farm a lot easier in it than other builds. My level 50 inquisicar build is 42 inquisitor/14 justicar/10 sentinel. At level 20 you'd use a build like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=00rdj.VhMo.Emo. You have doctrine of loyalty for group heals, reparation and salvation for heals through damage (both yourself and the group), you'd use a combination of bolt of radiance and bolt of judgment to build up cavaliers, healing breath for an instant heal every 8 seconds, the only downside is your only AoE would be soul drain until you get 31 points into Inquisitor for circle of oblivion.

Soulwalker

I bet you would love chloromancer (mage).

Soulwalker

Warlock without a pet would be nice. I think both inqi or cabalist and warlock himself with maybe chloromance come nearest to this. Both have DoTs and a good survivalbility ( is this spelled correct ? probably not)
    But that still leaves me with cleric and mage xD
    Moreover I liked the shaman in WoW but hated the totems, Druid was also a nice character because he was so flexible. Yeah I liked a lot of classes in Wow Everything but the Warrior ^^
    Last edited by fndrx; 07-21-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Soulwalker

Got an idea, I will make a descending list with the characters I liked in WoW. The first character I liked most and so on. Maybe this helps

1. Rogue / Warlock
    2. Mage / Shaman
    3. Druid
    4. Priest
    5. Paladin
    6. Hunter
    7. Warrior

Haha I am feeling this is getting ridicilous

( two successive posts because I can not edit ?! )

Soulwalker

To the OP, I was in the same boat. I actually umm leveled both up. The cleric has more variable builds but the mage has some nice graphical effects, ymmv.

Soulwalker

You played the mage because of the graphic effects ?
    Maybe some other people can up with a conclusion ? Regarding to the similarity of the listed WoW Characters :P

Shield of Telara

It really depends what you want to do.

Healing I prefer the Chloro hands down for fun, because you dont have to stare at green bars like you do for the cleric.

For DPS I prefer Clerics because for some reason Trion feels that Mages should have to jump through flaming hoops of fire, and run the gauntlet in order to do good dps. i.e. Stupid spell rotations..

For a good pet class I like to play Necro/Warlock, because nothing beats having the group die on you and you escape death with feign death.

For support I prefer the cleric Justicar build, over Archon. The reason for this is that i cant stand refreshing stupid buffs every few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by fndrx View Post
    Warlock without a pet would be nice. I think both inqi or cabalist and warlock himself with maybe chloromance come nearest to this. Both have DoTs and a good survivalbility ( is this spelled correct ? probably not)
    But that still leaves me with cleric and mage xD
    Moreover I liked the shaman in WoW but hated the totems, Druid was also a nice character because he was so flexible. Yeah I liked a lot of classes in Wow Everything but the Warrior ^^
    Warlock/Necro is similar to Warlock in WoW in that you'd have dots and pets. You don't NEED a necro pet, just go 16 for Soul Purge and the rest in Warlock, with 0 for Archon buffs, you'll have LOTS of dots, buffs, etc.

This build will let you heal yourself to some degree too and you'll have decent HPs from the Warlock and Archon buffs. Dots are fun in PvP since you can stack them even while running away from someone, a big advantage imho over many other casters in a 1 on 1 fight at least. Stack up all your many dots, throw down Essence Link to reduce how much they can heal through your dmg, then burn 'em down with Soul Purge, etc.

Inquistor/Justicar/Sentinel 51/11/4 is a GREAT leveling build and great for either PvE or PvP. BUT, you'll have a LOT of buffs to build up on yourself.......does get annoying lol. This build has some dots and all your dmg output heals you to boot, plus you have decent heals for yourself or your group.

Chloromancer is popular as an AoE healer for mage, full Warden is probably the easiest cleric healer build since you said you played a priest in WoW and such.

Hold off on trying Cabalist since they're going to change him in 1.4 and not only is Cabalist a crappy soul to lvl up with, you don't want to get confused when they switch him around soon lol.

Personally I enjoy my Warlock build the most since I often fly under the enemy radar and am not the first on their kill list so I can then stack my dots and scurry away, hehe. Cabby is fun in WFs because you'll get HUGE dmg numbers from Tyranny spamming, BUT the enemy will be on you like flys on ****, just a word of warning.....

Telaran

Might get flamed for this one... But my honestly opinion as a Cleric. If you are a hardcore min maxer and have really good management of your spells rotations, roll mage. If you want a bit more lackluster but have easier decent heal and dont mind that you got the lowest dps potential, then roll Cleric. Now Trion is changing things up, but it seems this is how Trion is going. The top 10% of Mages can pull close numbers to Warrior / Rogues abeit still lower, but most of them cant perfect those high numbers it in a Raid situation so their numbers drop, average mages are around the level of DPS clerics but good mages will pull ahead of a good Cleric (gear aside). Same as Chloro. If you know your rotations and spells as a chloro hands down you will be vital to raids and have much better HPS than any Cleric and have a lower CD battlerez as well. Now, I cannot stamp this assertion but I'm quite certain this is the case and I believe the majority of min maxers whos gotten to the end game stage will agree with me here.

For clerics, healing is simple, you get decent healing done more ways to heal harder to mess up for the average joe. DPS, same deal, we are behind every other callings potential and the issue scales with raid buffs so the problem gets worst. However its so easy to pull a mediocre number that non min maxers are quite satisfied.

As for me, if I had the choice, I'd roll Mage cuz its more rewarding despite their challenges, cuz of their potential tresholds, you can really tell a good mage from a bad one ( our mages can pulling 1600+ dps on plut without relic so I know they still have potential to do close dps to Rogues/war ).. Where as Clerics, much harder to see if they are good cuz of the simplicity of the class (1 - button masher class).

Anyways the decision is yours.

Soulwalker

Well actually that helped a lot, thanks !
    I like more challenging classes a lot more, I will roll mage and give it a try.

Plane Touched

If you decide to go mage all the way, be prepared for lack of love from Trion.

Just saying.

Trion must really be trying to making the bad players give up and reroll.

+ Reply to Thread