+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Am lost as to what second character to play alongside my main

Default Am lost as to what second character to play alongside my main

Hi folks.

I've got a bit of a conundrum in my head right now that I'm hoping you can help with.

You see, I recently resubbed to Rift and I have a cleric that I find is fun, though a bit offputting. Basically, the cleric is currently specced as a Tank, but come level 30, I'll turn him into a Caster DPS with some survivability.

Now that said, I want to make another class that does tanking and DPS rather well and can do a good job in PVP. Can anyone point me to a recommendations for a Warrior or Rogue spec and setup or a thread here that might help me make a good choice for a second character.

thank you for your time.
    Butt-kicking for goodness! -Minsc, Baldur's Gate series

Visit my blog, Games and Geekery. I talk about MMOs, other games, and assorted bits of collected geekery.

Roll a warrior.

Quote Originally Posted by Carondimonio View Post
    Roll a warrior.
    Would probably second this... with the recommendation to check out the guides at the top of the Warrior section. Milen offers an interesting take on the S&B Warrior in PvP...which while your leveling/ranking/gearing up - would possibly make things easier for you on the PvE side as well gear-wise if you're looking to tank as well to an extent.
    Kincayd (1)* - Omeki (1) - Comma (2) - Bugeisha (2) - Malphesiel (3)
    (1) Carrion -> (2) Threesprings -> (3) Deepwood
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Quote Originally Posted by VirusDancer View Post
    Would probably second this... with the recommendation to check out the guides at the top of the Warrior section. Milen offers an interesting take on the S&B Warrior in PvP...which while your leveling/ranking/gearing up - would possibly make things easier for you on the PvE side as well gear-wise if you're looking to tank as well to an extent.
    Thank you. I'll check it out.

As it stands, I'm hoping to get more out of my character. Should I do a Sword + Board Tank who does DW DPS, or something else?

Visit my blog, Games and Geekery. I talk about MMOs, other games, and assorted bits of collected geekery.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
    Thank you. I'll check it out.

As it stands, I'm hoping to get more out of my character. Should I do a Sword + Board Tank who does DW DPS, or something else?
    Milen's build actually uses different loadouts. Same character, will be using S&B, DW, or 2H depending on what they're doing. Some folks will just S&B it, changing it up. There is definitely some decent discussion going on in the Warrior section (and the guide section is a great place to start). With the changes to Teaching of the Five Rings (no longer only applies to DW) and Weapon Specialization (no longer only applies to 2H), it has opened the door to some additional builds...heh, and complaints about the amount of damage Warriors can do with something like a Para/Champ build.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Milen's build actually uses different loadouts. Same character, will be using S&B, DW, or 2H depending on what they're doing. Some folks will just S&B it, changing it up. There is definitely some decent discussion going on in the Warrior section (and the guide section is a great place to start). With the changes to Teaching of the Five Rings (no longer only applies to DW) and Weapon Specialization (no longer only applies to 2H), it has opened the door to some additional builds...heh, and complaints about the amount of damage Warriors can do with something like a Para/Champ build.
    So I can create a PVE DPS spec with good survivability thanks to Milen's advice?

My cleric is so survivable that it takes forever to kill something.
    Hence, faster killing would be nice, and preferably without power consumption issues.

So I can create a PVE DPS spec with good survivability thanks to Milen's advice?

My cleric is so survivable that it takes forever to kill something.
    Hence, faster killing would be nice, and preferably without power consumption issues.
    Milen's guide is a PvP guide. While to an extent you could probably easily use a Pally-Champion-Paragon build in questing/leveling... not sure if you'd have aggro issues in instances. I've never run a dungeon on my Warrior. It came to mind with your mentioning of tanking (S&B).

This is the link to the guides: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ndium-Warriors
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

Milen's guide is a PvP guide. While to an extent you could probably easily use a Pally-Champion-Paragon build in questing/leveling... not sure if you'd have aggro issues in instances. I've never run a dungeon on my Warrior. It came to mind with your mentioning of tanking (S&B).

This is the link to the guides: http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ndium-Warriors
    understood. So this is mostly something I change into if I want to kill other players in Warfronts on the PVE-RP server and get good leveling gear in the process.

I asked for an example of what might be a good progression for the points on the actual thread, but maybe you would know?

understood. So this is mostly something I change into if I want to kill other players in Warfronts on the PVE-RP server and get good leveling gear in the process.

I asked for an example of what might be a good progression for the points on the actual thread, but maybe you would know?
    I changed specs so many times on my Warrior while leveling, I could not remember. Might try dropping Milen a PM to see if you get a reply in case there is no answer in the thread.

Heck, for many of some of the builds in the Warrior section - if there is not progression listed for it, might be a case of asking the writer about one. Some of them may be what folks might consider a 50 only build while others will have progression that works.
    *formerly Plague@Carrion
    DEFIANT

I changed specs so many times on my Warrior while leveling, I could not remember. Might try dropping Milen a PM to see if you get a reply in case there is no answer in the thread.

Heck, for many of some of the builds in the Warrior section - if there is not progression listed for it, might be a case of asking the writer about one. Some of them may be what folks might consider a 50 only build while others will have progression that works.
    Understood. Thank you for your prompt replies.

I made all four.

Leveled the Cleric first (now r6)
    Then the Warrior
    Then the Mage
    Rogue I'm still working on (There's so many daily quests with the events and pvp to do on my 50s).

For my alts, I basically only killed mobs when I had rested xp so they level really fast.

Rift Chaser

Considering how ridiculously easy to level it is in this game, I suspect the majority of players who have been playing since release have at least 1 50 of each class by now, if not more.

Point being, don't worry about what your next alt will be. It's almost inevitable you'll end up with all classes sitting at your character selection screen with how fast content and leveling is chewed through in Rift.

+ Reply to Thread