+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Getting back to Rift

Soulwalker

Default Getting back to Rift

Hi, I'm coming back to Rift after leaving for some months. I don't know what I want to play, but can you guys list some possible/good combinations of play styles for each class, specifically the Rogue, Warrior and Mage (priority in order). If you guys want to suggest your own build/combo, go ahead. Just describe each build/combo and what type of play style each entails. Sorry, I'm getting overwhelmed with the choices and combinations and don't know where to start. Thanks for the help!

raazman

Soulwalker

I also forgot to add that I would like it to be a PVP orientated build, DPS as well. Thanks again.

Soulwalker

I, too am doing the same thing. I DL'd the client last night and plan on spending a few hours after work playing.

I want to tank, but there are lots of options out there.

Sorry I have nothing to add, but good thread! I will be watching it closely.

Warriors - PVP Great - PVE DPS One of the best classes - PVE Tank better than cleric same as rogue (situational)

Rogue - PVP Great - PVE DPS One of the best classes - PVE Tank (see above)

Mage - PVP Still good, lots of Aoe damage and healing - PVE DPS was great still good not best anymore / HPS heals very well still chloro is still a great support class and necessary for alot of things.

Cleric - PVP Still badass - PVE DPS from AOE is great single target is very decent / Healing is still top - PVE Tank lacks magical resistance yet still one of the best physical mitigation classes in the game. Could benefit from a charge but for now lacks one completely. (you'll find yourself as a healer or a dps more than anything)

Rogues have more versatility, Warriors do more damage and can Tank, mages are fun if you like ranged classes and the option to heal, and Clerics are the usual healer that can do anything in the game class.
    5/5 GSB || 4/4 RoS || 4/4 GP || 4/4 DH || 3/10 HK || R2/8

You have 5 soul combinations to choose from with each class. You can do anything so don't pidgeonhole yourself into a single role ie Tank. If your class can Heal/DPS/Tank/Support then prepare yourself to do all of the above.

ie. Warrior - I have 2 Tanking specs 1 for heavy magic encounters 1 for heavy mob trash encounters, I have 2 DPS Specs 1 for 2 handers with a pet and 1 for dual 1 handers for range and also insane single target DPS. I have a 5th soul i use specifically for PVP.

Think of your future class and how you can maximize yourself. If for whatever reason your class allows you to have 4 viable dps specs then do that. Its all situational sometimes youll need a specific build that includes a certain skill. be prepared for that.
    5/5 GSB || 4/4 RoS || 4/4 GP || 4/4 DH || 3/10 HK || R2/8

Paragon/champion (warrior) for pvp.

and please, do yourself a favor: don't play a mage.
    Last edited by Carondimonio; 07-18-2011 at 01:20 PM.

Soulwalker

Are there any links go good DPS/Tank builds (pvp) for the warrior?

Rift Disciple

Welcome back!

In my little bit of knowledge I honestly say you can't go wrong, unless you gimp yourself with a poor build.

If you like to be sneaky, quick, stabby, etc... Rogue

If you like to cah,ma,ha,ma people... mage

If you like to bash people and laugh at attackers... warrior

If you like to have a fairy... cleric. just kidding, I just couldn't come up with what they do. They are really cool, and very good

my point is, they (Trion) seem to be so on top of things, all things considered, I wouldn't worry about a nerf here, a nerf there. They are very responsive it seems, maybe too much so.

The only time you will feel massively bad (unless you already have before) is when u hit 50. I think of 50 as being that part of any other game where it just gets ridiculously hard. It is kinda rewarding as well.

My biggest thing is just trying to get them to please listen to closing warfronts, or any instancing pvp so that it can be group vs group not exactly 10 v 10 or whatever. (I like to be the underdog, and sometimes I like to win

I rammbled a bit, sorry. I know people here will probably, no definetly disagree and say some classes are unplayable, and they would have more experience than me, but just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by sandpaper3; 07-18-2011 at 04:17 PM.

The great thing about Rift is that even if you choose a class, you aren't corralled into how to play it.

Default Also?!

Hey i'm comming back aswell, so ill be watching the post aswell, also check out my other post regarding the community of the game I can't add enything regarding the class choice though
    The Zwoop tHEzWOOP Thezwoop tHEZWOOP TheZwoop ThezwooP THEzwoop theZWOOP thezwOOp THeZWooP thEzwOOp tHeZwOoP ThezwOOp THEzWOOp

Soulwalker

So any specific combinations?

Quote Originally Posted by raazman View Post
    So any specific combinations?
    Almost all of my experience is with Warriors, and while a lot of my favored setups have become obsolete with all of the huge changes going on to the class in recent patches, I'll give some that I like.

Everyone is going bonkers about the Paragon/Champ spec right now, because it does very reliable damage thanks to paired strike, has a fair bit of ranged, a couple of charges, a heal debuff, an AoE fear, and so on. For PvP, it's a great setup, no denying that - yet still, I'm not the type of player to play something simply because it's the easiest way to dominate.

Beastmaster+Champion is fun for PvP as well, and is plenty effective; As a melee class, having a pet which can chase down and harrass people without putting you in danger is always a plus.

Riftblade+Paragon is a lot of fun for PvP and PvE, though I usually reverse which is the primary depending on the situation, as I tend to favor Rift for PvP and Para for PvE because Riftblade has a lot of nice tools like silences and teleportation but has trouble sustaining energy over long periods, whereas Para never runs out of energy and still dishes out mean damage, especially to single targets.

I am usually playing with either Riftblade or Paragon as my main soul however, simply because I like their mechanics better and find them more fun to play.

Unfortunately tanks get the short end of the stick in PvP, and other than a few key abilities like the Warlord's Spotter's Order you will find few uses for them in PvP, but in PvE all of the Warrior's tanking souls are potentially viable.
    Say no to Damage Meters.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverDeath View Post
    It becomes a standard by which idiots who don't understand game mechanics can judge people often unfairly. Especially in a game that allows for such diverse builds, there is a real market for support classes here, classes that don't top heals or top dps or top tanking, but can help a group by being versatile, an ace-in-the-hole for those tough situations you hope never happen, but inevitably will.

Damage meters are an idea that can spread like wildfire among the minds of the feeble, and all they will see is numbers, and the number on that meter is the number they will place on your value - and it is incredibly short-sighted and tragically inept of them, but an almost certain side-effect of such an option. It's not necessary, in the least. You will know if you are doing well, based on how many bosses are killed while you are in attendance, because there is no "i" in team, which is something that MMO players used to understand when they were usually gamers, but less so now that they are mostly WoW-kids.

I can see a lot of people coming to rift. That's nice.

Coming back my self, after reading patch notes and also got a new comp

on Icewatch as Ashanti if anyone wants to say hi :P

+ Reply to Thread