+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First time rolling a tank. Which classes would be best for me?

Soulwalker

Default First time rolling a tank. Which classes would be best for me?

Hello,

Ex WoW player here. I played a hunter and priest on WoW for years. Always flirted with the idea of rolling a tank. Well, I have up on WoW, and I figured I would carry my dream over to RIFT.

I am sure there is a bunch of links and info out there, but I really don't know where to start.

What classes are good for soloing as a tank? I'd like something 'dark' if possible, but again, I am not sure where to start, so any links/info/videos/helpful opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Look in the class forum and you will find all the info, and more that you need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vashane View Post
    I would just like to add, I sure hope they don't add something to this game before they add something else that is totally unrelated to the thing they might add, because that would really tick me off or something if they added it first before the thing that should be added first even though its totally unrelated like, you know?

I tried tanking as Reaver/Paladin and I did good in Normal dungeons. Being a total tank noob myself, I did pretty good, plus it's very interesting.

Warriors have the most tanking options. Four out of eight of their souls are made for tanking. So that means they are most versatile tank calling. They emphasize AOE threat and strong passive mitigation.

Clerics and Rogues have more narrow tanking options. Though they make up for it somewhat with more esoteric combinations. Clerics have great physical mitigation and healing. Rogues have absorption shields and trickery.

If you want the quick & lowdown, warriors are most in line with the style of tanking seen in World of Warcraft. While cleric and rogue tanks having elements from other games.

Take a look at the class forums for more detailed breakdowns.
    Last edited by titansgrip; 07-18-2011 at 09:20 AM.

Plane Walker

Well there are 3 "tanks" in this game and if you check the respective forums you will see a ton of info

As far as soloing I am not sure what you mean. I assume levelling and grinding rep and stuff.

I play a dps warrior as my main. I levelled as a dps warrior and I do dailies, reps etc as a dps warrior

Levelling as a tank is way too slow in comparison.

I cannot speak for rogues and clerics but if you want to make a warrior I would invest the time in learning the VK and WL trees over the rest, that is, if you plan to do anything besides soloing

If you just want to solo everything you can in the game my opinion would be to not make a "tank" at all

As a Warrior tank, i suggest you roll a rogue.

My reasoning is this, Rogues can tank as effectively in almost all scenarios (with the ceveat being on aoe threat) but I've seen plenty of rogues get around this issue with skill. Some situations call for a rogue specifically for that added touch of survivability where an under geared/spec'd warrior would have trouble.

But tanking alone isn't a determining factor in why you should roll a rogue. Much likes Warriors Rogues have the ability to do insane amounts of DPS. In the event you find yourself not able to tank, or wanted as a tank you have the option of going DPS spec and doing very well. However because Warriors are also a top dps class at the moment this too is not a factor that will sway you one way or the other,

Support role. A warrior has a sorta support role in warlord as a buff/debuff mule. This however sucks when in a raid scenario as well as lacking in dps. Rogues however can Bard, this support class actually helps quite a bit and is a change of pace from DPS or tanking. +1 for rogues

PVP - Both are very well designed for PVP nothing beats sneaking up and killing people without them knowing, but warriors are now beasts in PVP until the nerf bat hits them so this one also goes both ways.

Hopefully this makes sense and helps, but its some of the reason why i rolled a rogue as an alt. To be honest i just wanted the stealth :P

Side note, THere are tons of warriors and rogues out there so the classes are very heavily saturated. Be prepared to wait around alot trying to find a group. on the other hand - tanks are always welcome additions.

On a side note, for some reason I completely forgot to include Clerics.

The benefit of clerics lies in the fact that they mitigate physical damage very well but magical damage very poorly. They also heal and dps very well, but in all honesty I don't know of many raiding guilds who succesfully employ a fulltime Cleric tank. You'll be relegated to DPS or DPS/offheal or just plain Heal in most scenarios constantly battling with other classes to tank. (again this is just my perspective on the class) However as a cleric tank you will likely not get to tank all of the time but you will always get plenty of tanking loot because no one else in your party will want it or majority of other cleric raiders will focus on healing specific gear. (that's at least what I've seen).
    Last edited by Angellicus; 07-18-2011 at 09:34 AM.
    5/5 GSB || 4/4 RoS || 4/4 GP || 4/4 DH || 3/10 HK || R2/8

Cleric loot, so rare! Ahahahahaha

Wait.. I can't breathe... omg... aahahaha '

Sorry, I have contr.. .ahahahah

Soulwalker

Thank you for the info, Angellicus.

If possible, could you give me an idea of a good tank or dps from Warrior and Rogue?

I want to start a good character tonight and not have to reroll over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by titansgrip View Post
    Cleric loot, so rare! Ahahahahaha

Wait.. I can't breathe... omg... aahahaha '

Sorry, I have contr.. .ahahahah
    I don't think i said loot was rare... just a cleric thats able to actually use that loot in a raid would be rare.

For Warrior Guides I would start here. Everything I know about warriors at the moment pertains to 50+ for DPS and Tanking
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ndium-Warriors

There are plenty of leveling specs out there but be sure to get at least 3 souls 1 for Tanking 1 for DPS (whichever weapon style you want to use) and one for solo grinding

As for rogues I don't know alot about them yet as my rogue is only level 10,

The current leveling spec i've got going on is Assassin/Nightblade/Riftstalker put points in Assassin first and in Nightblade to follow, once you get a few points in those trees for damage start putting points into riftstalker to get some survival bonus' as well as a few heal on damage abilities.

Riftstalker is the all purpose Tanking build for Rogues, it offers all of the abilites you'll need I think but that info you'll have to look up for now.

Again focus on the same thing for rogues, get a dps spec, a leveling spec, a tank spec and a bard spec. once you've covered your 4 specs you'll be good to go.

You won't be tanking anything till 15-20 and you won't be very effective till 20 anyway. You can start as support at lower levels, move into dps once you get a bit higher and up to tank when you've met the necessary requirements to surivive encounters. you'll follow this pattern when moving from instance to instance. The same rules apply to war/rogue aside from the lack of war support.

if for whatever reason you choose to go cleric then check out the cleric section to figure out some more.

IF you want roll a toon on dayblind if you can. Look up Azoray (my rogue) I'd be happy to level a new toon with ya.

Soulwalker

Thank you!

Is there anything wrong with starting a VW and just going from there?

Whats a VW?

Soulwalker

VK, not VW. Sorry!

VK is a tanking soul, your more than welcome to roll a tanking class right off the bat just don't expect to do a whole lot with it. Plus VK gives you strength and armor bonus' which could help (ravenous strength skill) but it takes alot of effort to maintain those abilities without speccing deeper into the trees.

by the time you hit level 3 or 4 you should have 3 souls to work with. Within an hour of starting the game you should be close to level 6-8 and out of the starting zone and into the main world, (i'm on defiant so I don't know how the guardian side works)

I would suggest taking a Tank soul and a DPS soul (like riftblade/Reaver or Paladin) and combine that with 0 points in Beast Master to have a pet for added damage.

Riftblade will give you some nice finishers like fiery burst and later on some AOE damage. Paladin or Reaver will give you tanking abilities for use with a sword and shield along with some damage abilities (notably reaver will give you damage dealing dots that when spec'd a little further in will give you some heals as well).

This is probably the best way to start off doing dps and tank hybrid, at 15 you have to do some quests to acquire the remaining souls that are avialable to you. From there you can purchase additional roles with in game currency. This will open up your options for how you proceed later in the game. I tanked my way through every instance until 50 because it guaranteed me a group. I did however sometimes DPS as well just to mix it up. It helped being prepared for those scenarios.
    Last edited by Angellicus; 07-18-2011 at 12:17 PM.

Soulwalker

Thanks again, A.

I'm just so used to WoW that all of this is making my head spin!

Any advice on how to get started to grow into a Tank would be much appreciated. Even if I do DPS to level.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast