+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Syngery Crystals should not be used to balance classes Minirant!

Default Syngery Crystals should not be used to balance classes Minirant!

:minirant:

I'm previewing the Syngery crystals and see HUGE bonuses like straight up 30% buffs, Archons getting +200 spell power for 5 minutes and 20% extra bubble? WTF Trion?

Even more depressing is seeing the huge buffs on classes I know to be broken atm like the Ranger who can't dps their way out of a paper bag, so lets just give him a crystal that says any damaging ability has a 30% chance to buff pet damage by 30% for x seconds. How about you just balance the classes the good old fashion way and code it into the game. I'm not grinding through garbage just to get a chance to roll on a randomly dropped item that's suppose to balance my class.

/minirant

Plane Touched

I have a similar view with the elementalist crystal. Apparently its not a problem to buff their overall damage by 15% via the increased buff...but what about all the elementalists who do not have access to this?

I agree, we have to hope that these crystals aren't a "cheap way out" to avoid proper class balancing.

Ascendant

not so "cheap" as these crystalls will be available only to 1% of players, how much of the player base will complete all hammerfall content after all?
    lets call it a moronic way out.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Champion

I think the idea is great, but either we are lacking information or they are not quite there yet.
    Just think how the crystals can boost pve damage and give a choice in pvp - take 40% more damage and deal 20% more? Or survive a warrior charge/assassin burst and do less damage?
    They could even make the pvp-sets for multiple purposes, like a crystal with 150/300 valor and 10%/20% less outgoing damage for tanks... or even introduce different crystals with on a 3piece bonus or around that.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Oktabi View Post
    I think the idea is great, but either we are lacking information or they are not quite there yet.
    Just think how the crystals can boost pve damage and give a choice in pvp - take 40% more damage and deal 20% more? Or survive a warrior charge/assassin burst and do less damage?
    They could even make the pvp-sets for multiple purposes, like a crystal with 150/300 valor and 10%/20% less outgoing damage for tanks... or even introduce different crystals with on a 3piece bonus or around that.
    It's not what they do, it's what it takes to get them or make them do anything that is the problem.... Balanceing things out when you have 4/4 relic and a synergy crystal might not be the best plan for 75% of the games player base...

Telaran

People who aren't in the top tiers of raiding have no need to min-max. People who don't do progression have no need for "class balance via Synergy Crystals" because you can get away with playing a Rogue without finishers some other stupid spec.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Saphien View Post
    People who aren't in the top tiers of raiding have no need to min-max. People who don't do progression have no need for "class balance via Synergy Crystals" because you can get away with playing a Rogue without finishers some other stupid spec.
    Sooo umm wait Im not in the top tiers of raiding and I still try to min-max, as do most people who raid...

Saying people who dont do progression have no need for balancing is just plain silly... Basicly... You dont do progression; so if the game is fair/balanced doesnt matter? (Great sales pitch...)
    Last edited by Hope; 07-17-2011 at 12:40 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Hope View Post
    Sooo umm wait Im not in the top tiers of raiding and I still try to min-max, as do most people who raid...

Saying people who dont do progression have no need for balancing is just plain silly... Basicly... You dont do progression; so if the game is fair/balanced doesnt matter? (Great sales pitch...)
    You certainly can min-max, but you don't have to, by any means.

What this comes down to is what level of content Trion wishes to balance for; they could balance everything for levelling to 50 if they wanted. By making balancing decisions through Synergy Crystals, they are choosing to balance for their new tier of raiding.

Why should they balance for people stuck in Greenscale's Blight, when they have Hammerknell? If you're going to neglect a portion of the playerbase, let it be in the older content. Would you balance around Iron Tombs Expert, instead of River of Souls?

Rift Disciple

So leave it broken till end game? What happens to all the players that quit because they went at that level but still want to be competitive with players in their play range?

I wouldn't balance around RoS or IT. Id prefer balance across the game...
    Last edited by Hope; 07-17-2011 at 02:53 PM.

Telaran

There is no way for Trion to balance every single aspect of the game, there just isn't; the best choice is to balance for the end game. That's where balance actually matters; if you can't choose both, you choose the best option.

The Tier 1 Expert group of people, the people who don't have access to Synergy Crystals; these are players who don't need class balance. I can step into a random queue and play a Rogue without finishers, and I'd probably do pretty well.

The place where Balance is actually an issue is the top end, where raid progression is involved. This is where I have to use the best possible spec, and can't screw around.

So yes, if the lowest tier of players gets the shaft, I don't care; they don't need to be balanced to complete their content.

Plane Walker

Crystals are balanced around having end game gear literally.

You cannot receive crystal bonuses unless you have T4 gear equipped.

Rift Disciple

Exactly!

And That is what I'm saying I don't like... (of course simply adding mid range crystals could solve the problem too...)

Shield of Telara

You just need cystals like the cleric ones. Then you when you see them you will be like, ''Yeah, I guess I will toss that in the empty slot, unless someone else really wants it." Yeah, they are that impressive.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

Rift Disciple

LoL Well I guess that's one way to solve it

+ Reply to Thread