+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ideas of what classes should be?

Soulwalker

Default Ideas of what classes should be?

Ok so as the title emplies i'm curious as to what people think these archtypes should be. I understand rift throws msot preconcieved notions out the window but i've always looked at like this:

Warrior: High DPS and tanking abillities
    Mage: High DPS but very low defense
    Mage w/ pet: low-med dps and defense with pet doing med dps
    Rogue w/ sword: High dex and high dps at beginning of battle that drops as fight continues and med defense
    Rogue w/ bow: High dex and med defense with med-high DPS and usually a med DPS pet
    Cleric: Low-Med DPS with med-high defense and good solo-abillity due to high healing lvls.

I understand that rift has sort of a mix and match style inwhich theres subclasses in each archtype that serve as mixes with other clases but i've personally felt that it mostly plays like listed above but people seem to complain alot about particular classes, usually mages and rogues.

Right now i'm running cleric but i've spent time with other arch's and so far i think they've matched up fairly well to what i've always seen in mmos, with the exception that the rogue seemed a little weak and so did the mage but both times i was still fairly low lvl and as far as i've seen high lvl characters looked as strong as i had figured they would be. So is it just me? Are my thought on regular archtypes wrong? And i mean that honestly. I'd love to hear your opinions.

Rift Disciple

First mmo I have played that was not asian based where Rogues could not wield a shield.

For that matter, concept of a shield can't be worn because your hand can't magically fit in the holster just because, is a stupid reason.

All races got 2 hands, so what is really stopping someone of wearing a shield.

2 Thumbs up for the mmo who can revamp the concept of gear, affecting player stats pending on what you wear. (i.e. more armor, reduced mobility but more defense)

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Supremax67 View Post
    First mmo I have played that was not asian based where Rogues could not wield a shield.

For that matter, concept of a shield can't be worn because your hand can't magically fit in the holster just because, is a stupid reason.

All races got 2 hands, so what is really stopping someone of wearing a shield.

2 Thumbs up for the mmo who can revamp the concept of gear, affecting player stats pending on what you wear. (i.e. more armor, reduced mobility but more defense)
    Wanna wear a shield, play a Warrior or Cleric. Wanna duel wield dagger and spam dmg play a Warrior or Rogue.

Thumbs up to any MMO that does not buy into people who try and thumbs up in hopes of getting stupid changes made.
    Last edited by Taaboo; 07-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Taaboo View Post
    Wanna wear a shield, play a Warrior or Cleric. Wanna duel wield dagger and spam dmg play a Warrior or Rogue.

Thumbs up to any MMO that does not buy into people who try and thumbs up in hopes of getting stupid changes made.
    Thanks for trolling.

The same basic mmo concept doesn't bring anything to the table. Not asking Trion to change their ways, obviously too late for that.

But taking in consideration that they are all humanoid forms and that plate is heavier than cloth, and so on. You would think they be other effects than just stats on item and allows players true customization. Like why would a mage not wear plate, metal affects the efficiency of spells! But no, they put you in this cookie cutter mentality where people says it's forbidden!

That shows lack of originality and copied over from the ever first mmo that came out.

Still 2 thumbs up for an mmo that can have a bit more originality.

Telaran

I find class restrictions far more 'believable' than the notion that one can master any ability, aquire all arcane knowledge and train every weapon style while having the physical superiority needed to wear heavy armor while being able to run forever and regularly jump your own height.

I know everyone wants to play their own demi-god but is it so hard to believe that wearing armor or using a shield in battle requires intense training and isn't as simple as slipping your body/arm into them? Barring the fact that this is a fantasy game and the rules could be completely arbitrary and be just as valid as any other ruleset.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Whelm View Post
    I find class restrictions far more 'believable' than the notion that one can master any ability, aquire all arcane knowledge and train every weapon style while having the physical superiority needed to wear heavy armor while being able to run forever and regularly jump your own height.

I know everyone wants to play their own demi-god but is it so hard to believe that wearing armor or using a shield in battle requires intense training and isn't as simple as slipping your body/arm into them? Barring the fact that this is a fantasy game and the rules could be completely arbitrary and be just as valid as any other ruleset.
    What he said.

+ Reply to Thread