+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Tanks

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default Tanks

    So at end game like teir and raids is there a tank class that cant tank?

    ive been hearing more and more that clerics cant tank in raids.

  2. #2
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Clerics have poor magic mitigation and I've also heard they have poor threat. That makes them the worst tanks for raiding. My guild does not use cleric tanks for other than occasional offtanking so I don't know how their threat compares to rogues and warriors. A cleric can tank everything in game currently but a lesser geared warrior or rogue can do it easier, sometimes much easier.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Clerics have poor magic mitigation and I've also heard they have poor threat. That makes them the worst tanks for raiding. My guild does not use cleric tanks for other than occasional offtanking so I don't know how their threat compares to rogues and warriors. A cleric can tank everything in game currently but a lesser geared warrior or rogue can do it easier, sometimes much easier.

    so what about a cleric compared to a reaver tank? reavers seem to only have a 18% spell damage buff if the reaver and paladin ones combine.

    celerics as far as im aware have atleast 10% maybe more

  4. #4
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    If a reaver finds some fight difficult to tank he can switch to void knight/warlord/paladin instead. Cleric does not have that option.

  5. #5
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaver View Post
    so what about a cleric compared to a reaver tank? reavers seem to only have a 18% spell damage buff if the reaver and paladin ones combine.

    celerics as far as im aware have atleast 10% maybe more
    Are you talking about a 51 Reaver tank? I've never heard of such a thing. 25Vk/21Reaver/20Paladin is the spec any competent warrior would use for fight that requires max magic mitigation (assuming they don't simply outgear the content).

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prokofiova View Post
    Are you talking about a 51 Reaver tank? I've never heard of such a thing. 25Vk/21Reaver/20Paladin is the spec any competent warrior would use for fight that requires max magic mitigation (assuming they don't simply outgear the content).
    no not 51 points in reaver. but reaver as the main soul. i was asking cause maybe they were comparing clerics or void knight builds and thats why they have less magic resistance.

    got a link to that build? might look into geting a magic tank build as my 2nd build
    Last edited by Merkaver; 07-15-2011 at 05:08 AM.

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaver View Post
    no not 51 points in reaver. but reaver as the main soul. i was asking cause maybe they were comparing clerics or void knight builds and thats why they have less magic resistance.

    got a link to that build? might look into geting a magic tank build as my 2nd build
    Here's a good site. There's a link to that build on that page.

    http://ciderhelm.com/?p=554
    Last edited by Prokofiova; 07-15-2011 at 05:27 AM.

  8. #8
    Rift Master Tarshana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    636

    Default

    I run a VK spec and a Reav/Pally/WL spec and the other tank is a cleric and he's had zero issues holding threat.

  9. #9
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    160

    Default

    its just in all the games ive played there always seems to be this oppinion everyone seems to have but when i expirence it first hand it holds no weigh.

    like back when i played wow people either believe DK couldnt tank or you have to be frost to tank which was never true.

    Im hoping thats the same in the game. people think clerics are the worse tank but hopefully when i expirence it first hand it will be revealed as a load of bull

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaver View Post
    its just in all the games ive played there always seems to be this oppinion everyone seems to have but when i expirence it first hand it holds no weigh.

    like back when i played wow people either believe DK couldnt tank or you have to be frost to tank which was never true.

    Im hoping thats the same in the game. people think clerics are the worse tank but hopefully when i expirence it first hand it will be revealed as a load of bull
    Clerics have to work harder to achieve the same results.

    I'm a cleric tank, and the only problem I have with it is the lack of a charge type of move. This isn't a bad thing, but I tanked a lot on WoW, and could control the flow of a fight with (feral) charge/death grip. Granted, we do have rebuke, but its kind of hard to chain pull with that.

  11. #11
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Merkaver View Post
    no not 51 points in reaver. but reaver as the main soul. i was asking cause maybe they were comparing clerics or void knight builds and thats why they have less magic resistance.

    got a link to that build? might look into geting a magic tank build as my 2nd build
    Reaver also has a flat 15% mitigation on top of that from PFtM and Imbued armor. Even if you went straight pally reaver (but please dont) you would have 33% magic reduction.
    Skel - Guild Leader of Redemption
    http://rift-redemption.guildlaunch.com/

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara TyrLith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,175

    Default

    in your fantasy world yes

    u cannot stack them that way in Rift

  13. #13
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TyrLith View Post
    in your fantasy world yes

    u cannot stack them that way in Rift
    Ok excuse me, a 30.3% reduction... MAJOR difference there
    Skel - Guild Leader of Redemption
    http://rift-redemption.guildlaunch.com/

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple Cactuschef's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    188

    Default

    I am perfectly fine with clerics being the worst tanks. they can do everything and they're the best healers. it's not unfair that given that they can be the worst at one role (if you dont count mages not being able to tank period)

  15. #15
    RIFT Guide Writer tordana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    996

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skel View Post
    Reaver also has a flat 15% mitigation on top of that from PFtM and Imbued armor. Even if you went straight pally reaver (but please dont) you would have 33% magic reduction.
    I have a 51 reaver/15 paladin build I use for the occasional T2s (also soloing) because it's hilarious doing 1k DPS on AoE trash packs while tanking. For serious raid tanking, definitely not.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts