+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tanks

Rift Disciple

Default Tanks

So at end game like teir and raids is there a tank class that cant tank?

ive been hearing more and more that clerics cant tank in raids.

RIFT Guide Writer

Clerics have poor magic mitigation and I've also heard they have poor threat. That makes them the worst tanks for raiding. My guild does not use cleric tanks for other than occasional offtanking so I don't know how their threat compares to rogues and warriors. A cleric can tank everything in game currently but a lesser geared warrior or rogue can do it easier, sometimes much easier.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Gery View Post
    Clerics have poor magic mitigation and I've also heard they have poor threat. That makes them the worst tanks for raiding. My guild does not use cleric tanks for other than occasional offtanking so I don't know how their threat compares to rogues and warriors. A cleric can tank everything in game currently but a lesser geared warrior or rogue can do it easier, sometimes much easier.

so what about a cleric compared to a reaver tank? reavers seem to only have a 18% spell damage buff if the reaver and paladin ones combine.

celerics as far as im aware have atleast 10% maybe more

RIFT Guide Writer

If a reaver finds some fight difficult to tank he can switch to void knight/warlord/paladin instead. Cleric does not have that option.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaver View Post
    so what about a cleric compared to a reaver tank? reavers seem to only have a 18% spell damage buff if the reaver and paladin ones combine.

celerics as far as im aware have atleast 10% maybe more
    Are you talking about a 51 Reaver tank? I've never heard of such a thing. 25Vk/21Reaver/20Paladin is the spec any competent warrior would use for fight that requires max magic mitigation (assuming they don't simply outgear the content).

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Prokofiova View Post
    Are you talking about a 51 Reaver tank? I've never heard of such a thing. 25Vk/21Reaver/20Paladin is the spec any competent warrior would use for fight that requires max magic mitigation (assuming they don't simply outgear the content).
    no not 51 points in reaver. but reaver as the main soul. i was asking cause maybe they were comparing clerics or void knight builds and thats why they have less magic resistance.

got a link to that build? might look into geting a magic tank build as my 2nd build
    Last edited by Merkaver; 07-15-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Rift Disciple

no not 51 points in reaver. but reaver as the main soul. i was asking cause maybe they were comparing clerics or void knight builds and thats why they have less magic resistance.

got a link to that build? might look into geting a magic tank build as my 2nd build
    Here's a good site. There's a link to that build on that page.

http://ciderhelm.com/?p=554
    Last edited by Prokofiova; 07-15-2011 at 05:27 AM.

I run a VK spec and a Reav/Pally/WL spec and the other tank is a cleric and he's had zero issues holding threat.

Rift Disciple

its just in all the games ive played there always seems to be this oppinion everyone seems to have but when i expirence it first hand it holds no weigh.

like back when i played wow people either believe DK couldnt tank or you have to be frost to tank which was never true.

Im hoping thats the same in the game. people think clerics are the worse tank but hopefully when i expirence it first hand it will be revealed as a load of bull

Soulwalker

its just in all the games ive played there always seems to be this oppinion everyone seems to have but when i expirence it first hand it holds no weigh.

like back when i played wow people either believe DK couldnt tank or you have to be frost to tank which was never true.

Im hoping thats the same in the game. people think clerics are the worse tank but hopefully when i expirence it first hand it will be revealed as a load of bull
    Clerics have to work harder to achieve the same results.

I'm a cleric tank, and the only problem I have with it is the lack of a charge type of move. This isn't a bad thing, but I tanked a lot on WoW, and could control the flow of a fight with (feral) charge/death grip. Granted, we do have rebuke, but its kind of hard to chain pull with that.

Rift Master

Reaver also has a flat 15% mitigation on top of that from PFtM and Imbued armor. Even if you went straight pally reaver (but please dont) you would have 33% magic reduction.
    Skel - Guild Leader of Redemption
    http://rift-redemption.guildlaunch.com/

in your fantasy world yes

u cannot stack them that way in Rift

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by TyrLith View Post
    in your fantasy world yes

u cannot stack them that way in Rift
    Ok excuse me, a 30.3% reduction... MAJOR difference there
    Skel - Guild Leader of Redemption
    http://rift-redemption.guildlaunch.com/

I am perfectly fine with clerics being the worst tanks. they can do everything and they're the best healers. it's not unfair that given that they can be the worst at one role (if you dont count mages not being able to tank period)

Quote Originally Posted by Skel View Post
    Reaver also has a flat 15% mitigation on top of that from PFtM and Imbued armor. Even if you went straight pally reaver (but please dont) you would have 33% magic reduction.
    I have a 51 reaver/15 paladin build I use for the occasional T2s (also soloing) because it's hilarious doing 1k DPS on AoE trash packs while tanking. For serious raid tanking, definitely not.
    Read my Comprehensive Warrior Raid Tanking Guide and Warrior Tank Leveling Guide!
    RIP Affinity. Beta 3 - 5/10/12.
    ID 4/8 | HK 11/11 | RotP 4/4

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast