+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Mage of cleric?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default Mage of cleric?

    I played a warrior for a month at release but had to put gaming aside while I worked on a major project for work. I'm coming back and feel like rolling up a new character but can't decide between a mage and a cleric. I played a lock/necro for a bit in beta and wasn't terribly impressed, but only got to level 14. I'm thinking of trying an elementist/stormcaller this time though for the elemental theme instead of death and shadows. Still, Iíve heard that mages have it a little hard right now and are very limited in being ranged DPS or one style of healer. Iíve also played a warlock in WOW for about five years now and am a little bit tired of playing a pure caster. I was looking over the cleric souls and I doubt I would ever be a pure healer, but I like some of the melee ones like shaman or druid and could see myself tanking with one later on. I donít care for the pure style melee and tend to enjoy the hybrid magic based ones. I have no experience with clerics though so was wondering if they are effective at solo questing and helping with rifts. Also, which one would be more desired in non PVP end game, a non healer cleric or a mage?

  2. #2
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    34

    Default

    if you want to play a magical class look elsewhere than rift.

  3. #3
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I currently have both a 50 mage and 50 cleric that I play regularly, and I would recommend the mage.

    Currently, Cleric tanks are the crappiest of the three options due to three main problems: poor itemazation/talent design, poor damage reduction, and poor skill design. Which more or less means you won't get a chance to tank anything significant in most cases.
    Cleric dps is pretty decent, but still pales in comparsion to the other callings. Cleric Dps build is the cookie cutter spec. The problem is: your pet, the Satyr has under 4k health. This is problematic, since you lack any real way to heal your pet. Your pet is also extremely squishy in comparsion to the other pets (necro zealot pet has a little less than 5k health, and soul purge heals him), which means you'll resummon him multiple times per fight.(My record was 5x on Cyclorax, yes i recalled during his aoe.)

  4. #4
    Sez
    Sez is offline
    Ascendant Sez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vendui View Post
    if you want to play a magical class look elsewhere than rift.
    If you want intelligent answers, don't ask forum goers.
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

    - Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

  5. #5
    Rift Master GriffonHawke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    If you want intelligent answers, don't ask forum goers.
    Contradictory post is contradictory ^^

  6. #6
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ragingbear View Post
    I currently have both a 50 mage and 50 cleric that I play regularly, and I would recommend the mage.

    Currently, Cleric tanks are the crappiest of the three options due to three main problems: poor itemazation/talent design, poor damage reduction, and poor skill design. Which more or less means you won't get a chance to tank anything significant in most cases.
    Cleric dps is pretty decent, but still pales in comparsion to the other callings. Cleric Dps build is the cookie cutter spec. The problem is: your pet, the Satyr has under 4k health. This is problematic, since you lack any real way to heal your pet. Your pet is also extremely squishy in comparsion to the other pets (necro zealot pet has a little less than 5k health, and soul purge heals him), which means you'll resummon him multiple times per fight.(My record was 5x on Cyclorax, yes i recalled during his aoe.)
    I disagree. Well sort of. Your reasons to roll mage are all based on things they still beat mages at.

    Clerics can very comfortably tank raid content in appropriate gear and they're easier to heal than rogues post 1.3. They can heal well and have 3 specs to do it. For DPS clerics aren't the best but they're not mages.

    Roll cleric because it's not a mage. I'm playing a mage, I'm not spending thousands of hours on a toon to get it to the point my mage is at now. I'm stuck with my mage. Stuck. Clerics can perform all 4 roles and while chloro healing is the coolest thing in rift, mages are not in good shape and trion have made it clear they do not consider this a problem. They're not in terrible shape but for DPS just roll a rogue or warrior. If you want to play a hybrid play a cleric. If you want to tank go warrior. If you want to DPS with 2 buttons, warrior or rogue both work. But rogue can do ranged better.

    Of course keep an eye on the 1.4 notes. If more than "we've tweaked charge a bit" comes up I might be proven entirely wrong.

  7. #7
    Telaran Godhand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    I like some of the melee ones like shaman or druid and could see myself tanking with one later on.
    Roll a Rogue.

    Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    I donít care for the pure style melee and tend to enjoy the hybrid magic based ones.
    Rogue.

    Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    I have no experience with clerics though so was wondering if they are effective at solo questing and helping with rifts.
    Rogue.

    Quote Originally Posted by animeprime View Post
    Also, which one would be more desired in non PVP end game, a non healer cleric or a mage?
    ROGUE!!!!
    RIFT FORUM MODS FEAR MY THREADS

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts