+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why is there always an OP FOTM?

Default Why is there always an OP FOTM?

I'm beginning to think MMO devs purposely create a new OP FOTM class/spec every patch as a way to raise emotions and get people to reroll. Ie: keep them playing the game. "I was 50 and terribly bored and ready to quit as end game is pretty sad, then I read that Pyros were OP and rerolled!"

I smell shenanigans.

Sword of Telara

whenever something is balanced in a positive direction, you get FOTM

mages buffed: a million mages
    rogues buffed: a million rogues
    warriors buffed: a million warriors
    clerics are the exception, as they've been extremely potent in PVP, but most people dont want to heal in PVE. This is why you see 400 of them in a wf but have to LFhealer for quite a while to get a dungeon together.

This does not inherently make the recently adjusted class/spec/spell OP. But lets face it, when everyone is playing the same class, and people get their ***** handed to them by the same abilities over and over it sticks out in their mind and they start to think 'I've been killed by MM rogues 200x today, they must be OP.' rather than say 'half the wf was MM rogues, they must be FOTM'
    Last edited by Corebot; 07-11-2011 at 05:07 PM.

Rift Disciple

Flavors of the Month happen in MMORPGs simply by the fact of there being WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too many variables to try and balance going up against people with no lives and who spend a crapton of time trying to break the system to find something at the upper tier of the power curve.

Rift Disciple

At the bottom line, RIFT is a numbers game. Everything comes down to stats, percentages and dps.

Unless you do away with stats and have everyone spamming the same abilities with the guaranteed same damage then there will always be differences in the dps on X class vs Y class.

Once the community works out which class is X, it becomes OP or FOTM. The devs then look at how many ppl are playing it, whether it is messing with the overall balance of the game and try and address that. By doing so, a different class will become X and the process repeats itself.

"Balance" is completely impossible in an MMO contrary to popular whinging. The sheer number of variables mean that there will ALWAYS be a class that deals more dps, has more control, throws bigger heals etc. The job of the devs is to react to the effect this has on the overall game, not to chase rainbows trying to balance everything. The knock on effect of this is that some ppl just have to be the best. They want the biggest numbers, the easiest wins, the most points. Its what they play the game for and to play and enjoy the game they way they want to, they will reroll and respec as and when they want to play the class that is currently X.

Rift Disciple too_legit_to_rift's Avatar

imho, it's because rift developers, very similar to wow developers don't know how to make adjustments in moderation. If you check out patch notes, hardly anything ever gets slightly tweaked. It's almost always 100% better/250% worse, everything is knee jerk reaction which inevitably ends up changing the entire way people play the game on a weekly, if not monthly basis due to something that may work fine this week, to being god-mode spam next week, to worthless 2 weeks from then. I can't say I know why developers feel the need to react so harshly, when all that may be required are minor changes here and there.

There must always be a Lich King

I'm talking about using a FOTM as a psychelogical tool to keep us addicted. Is this possible?

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Belzoat View Post
    At the bottom line, RIFT is a numbers game. Everything comes down to stats, percentages and dps.

Unless you do away with stats and have everyone spamming the same abilities with the guaranteed same damage then there will always be differences in the dps on X class vs Y class.

Once the community works out which class is X, it becomes OP or FOTM. The devs then look at how many ppl are playing it, whether it is messing with the overall balance of the game and try and address that. By doing so, a different class will become X and the process repeats itself.

"Balance" is completely impossible in an MMO contrary to popular whinging. The sheer number of variables mean that there will ALWAYS be a class that deals more dps, has more control, throws bigger heals etc. The job of the devs is to react to the effect this has on the overall game, not to chase rainbows trying to balance everything. The knock on effect of this is that some ppl just have to be the best. They want the biggest numbers, the easiest wins, the most points. Its what they play the game for and to play and enjoy the game they way they want to, they will reroll and respec as and when they want to play the class that is currently X.
    You little kids need to read this post cause this guy 100% cover why MMO will never never never be balance.Thats how its always going to be and if you cant live with it well Go play a FPS kkthxbye

Banned

I dont see anything as being OP right now. Please enlighten me.
    Last edited by Vindicit; 07-12-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vindicit View Post
    I dont see anything as being OP right now. Please enlighten me.
    what calling are you?

Quote Originally Posted by despite View Post
    I'm talking about using a FOTM as a psychelogical tool to keep us addicted. Is this possible?
    I don't think they need this when they have the whole progression/gear/grind thingy.

And they should realize that nothing is more addictive than interesting gameplay, duh.
    retired

Quote Originally Posted by Belzoat View Post
    "Balance" is completely impossible in an MMO contrary to popular whinging.
    No.

"Balance" in an MMO doesn't mean "equality." It means "equilibrium."

There are far, far too many factors in an MMO to make players equal. What MMO devs strive to do is offset the strengths and weaknesses of one class/spec/skill/item/etc. with the strengths and weaknesses of another.

All DPS classes won't do the same DPS in every fight. All tank classes aren't the best choice for a given boss. All healers aren't ideal for every healing challenge.

When we talk about "imbalance" in this context, we mean something that sticks out far above--or below--the baseline. Like cleric tanks being significantly inferior to warrior and rogue tanks. Or warrior DPS being significantly higher than other classes.

Minor advantages and disadvantages are to be expected. Warriors may always be 50 DPS higher than everyone else, and clerics may always be the last in line to tank. But when that gap widens to a certain point--where that point lies is entirely subjective--then players complain about "imbalance."

In this context, it's certainly possible to achieve "balance" by bringing underperforming classes up within an acceptable margin of others, and tuning overperforming classes down to within an acceptable margin of others.

It's less about playing whack-a-mole as it is about trying to smooth away the rough edges, even out the peaks and troughs to within a certain margin of each other. The players know it will never be a perfectly level field. What we want is to get it as close as possible to level without destroying the innate fun and diversity of the game.
    Villainelle
    <Momentum>
    DEFIANT | SHATTERBONE US

Quote Originally Posted by Villainelle View Post
    No.

"Balance" in an MMO doesn't mean "equality." It means "equilibrium."

There are far, far too many factors in an MMO to make players equal. What MMO devs strive to do is offset the strengths and weaknesses of one class/spec/skill/item/etc. with the strengths and weaknesses of another.

All DPS classes won't do the same DPS in every fight. All tank classes aren't the best choice for a given boss. All healers aren't ideal for every healing challenge.

When we talk about "imbalance" in this context, we mean something that sticks out far above--or below--the baseline. Like cleric tanks being significantly inferior to warrior and rogue tanks. Or warrior DPS being significantly higher than other classes.

Minor advantages and disadvantages are to be expected. Warriors may always be 50 DPS higher than everyone else, and clerics may always be the last in line to tank. But when that gap widens to a certain point--where that point lies is entirely subjective--then players complain about "imbalance."

In this context, it's certainly possible to achieve "balance" by bringing underperforming classes up within an acceptable margin of others, and tuning overperforming classes down to within an acceptable margin of others.

It's less about playing whack-a-mole as it is about trying to smooth away the rough edges, even out the peaks and troughs to within a certain margin of each other. The players know it will never be a perfectly level field. What we want is to get it as close as possible to level without destroying the innate fun and diversity of the game.
    WoW, so much thruth in one post, stickie plox, i realy liked this and it also annoyed me as i play a warrior hehe
    "We are Dyslexia of Borg, we WILL *****laminate you!"

I am Dyslexic, and English is my 3rd language, i appologize for any miss spellings, typos that may occure in my posts.

Something is always the best.

(Gear)

It's impossible with only one tree set for both pve and pvp. However a set for pve and one for pvp would bring about better and more efficient way to balance. Things like homogenization, fotm, less than optimal raid encounters, and less than optimal pvp content, would dwindle and die out.
    Last edited by Spyrit; 07-13-2011 at 04:18 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast