+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Viable PvP class.

Plane Touched

Default Viable PvP class.

Hello. Me and a friend of mine has decided to give RIFT another shot again after we both got tired after 1 month after the launch of the game.

We're gonna level some new characters together and we decided to focus mainly on PvP. (Atleast I have). So I'm wondering, which classes are viable / not viable in PvP atm?

I've seen some rather disappointing stuff written about Mages on the forums, are they underpowered atm?

Thanks in advance.

Rift Chaser

It really isnt as bad as people on the forums make it sound.
    Right now, imo.. the ballance betwine classes is better then it was before, NOT ideal but accepteble.
    Every calling does have their own place and perpouse in WF's, while some callings definately are better off right now then others, I still would suggest to play the type of class you enjoy the most.
    Following the FOTM will just lead to disapointment in the next patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by pro View Post
    Rogues are completly fine to be honest.

Plane Touched

Actually, both 4 callings have their viable builds for pvp, mages are whining because they got nerfed hard (pyro and stormcaller) so they lost their "i-win" button. However, mages still have other builds to dominate in pvp (dominator, necro, warlock,etc).
    About clerics, they are always good since the launch, supreme healing,decent dps, has not been nerfed, actually they got buffed. There is just one word to describe them: perfection.
    Rogues, trion bring them back from extinction after patch 1.2. Rogues are pretty decent now. They are awesome for ganking in open world, pretty flexible in Warfronts with various builds for dps, flag running, support, etc.
    Warriors, they got buffed after patch 1.3 and become deadlier, supreme dps, supreme survivability. One good warrior can even turn table of a warfront.

Plane Touched

Sounds promising, I'll have to wait for some more people to reply before I decide anything tho

I can't speak for rogue, but I have a r4/r5 of the other 3. All are strong in some areas and weak in others. If you're struggling, you're either under-geared of your spec is wrong.

Sword of Telara

Dominators, warlock/necros have the potential to be nasty, nasty mofo's in pvp. They do really well in small scale and are great additions to group pvp as well.

If you cant beat most other classes 1v1 as a domi (assuming similar levels/gear, yada yada) it is you, not the class.

New necrolocks are heavier on lock, but pack some serious whoopass as well.
    Last edited by Corebot; 07-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Plane Touched

Sounds like Mages are better off than what most people makes it look like on the forums, then again after 10 years of MMORPG PvP I should know better than listen to the masses crying on forum boards. How is the situation for Clerics? From what I've gathered it seems like they're mostly only capable of doing good in PvP as healers?

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Androme View Post
    Sounds like Mages are better off than what most people makes it look like on the forums, then again after 10 years of MMORPG PvP I should know better than listen to the masses crying on forum boards. How is the situation for Clerics? From what I've gathered it seems like they're mostly only capable of doing good in PvP as healers?
    Keep in mind that mages were the most recently nerfed class, and warriors were most recently buffed. This will account for most of the forum QQ monsters

High ranking clerics are extremely potent. Low ranking clerics are much, much more likely to survive against a higher rank enemy than other classas. Notice i said survive, not kill. Clerics do pretty well for themselves with a few pvp specs, and as I said they really shine at higher ranks, but if your group is low on healers you WILL be harassed for not healing them, just fyi
    Last edited by Corebot; 07-12-2011 at 05:06 AM.

There is no real difference between the classes anymore tbh.

I have 2 x lvl50 rogues (guardian + defiant)
    1 x lvl50 cleric
    1 x lvl40 warrior
    1 x lvl42 mage

Pre 50 in WF's i was top 3 of 90% of warfronts i played in for damage done and KB's on all of my Avatars.
    Whatever class you choose, just search the forums for good PvP specs and then customise them to suit your playstyle once you get the hang of the class.

At level 50 i only do well on one of my rogues, because he is R5 and reasonably geared. Rift is the same as most MMO's, if your an altaholic like me then youre toons wont be as well geared as somebody focusing purely on one character.

For leveling with a friend though with a vue to world PvP at every oppertunity then go for whatever you feel you will like. I have leveled my DPS warrior with a chlorolock friend and his DOTs and healing coupled with my DPS and survivability means that we have fought and won quite a few 2 v 3-4-5-6 encounters.

Leveling doesn't take long in RIFT, if you realy want to be more focused on PvP then i would reccomend at least one of you rolling a toon that can heal.
    Last edited by Arcticred; 07-12-2011 at 05:21 AM.
    http://www.siglaunch.com/sigs/any/2/2/3/7/7/4322377PXOFX.png Only the dead have seen the end of war

Quote Originally Posted by Androme View Post
    Hello. Me and a friend of mine has decided to give RIFT another shot again after we both got tired after 1 month after the launch of the game.

We're gonna level some new characters together and we decided to focus mainly on PvP. (Atleast I have). So I'm wondering, which classes are viable / not viable in PvP atm?

I've seen some rather disappointing stuff written about Mages on the forums, are they underpowered atm?

Thanks in advance.
    Mages on the mage forum are using parses taken from a PVE raid-boss without a "OMG Run for your life, I'm 360 cleaving" mechanic to make a statement about the state of the mage calling's single-target-DPS. "Surprisingly enough" the result is that our stand-still-and-beat-on-one-guy-DPS is lower than MDPS specs from warriors and rogues.

In PvP there are a lot of different working specs for a mage, our PVP soul is good, and most of our pve souls are not broken in pvp.
    Deepstrike <Black Flag>
    Vice Chairman of the Defiant Repopulation Committee
    Ereldys - Mage
    Heth - Cooldownblade

Plane Touched

Alright, thanks for the replies guys. It seems like I'll be playing Rogue then since I lvled a Warrior to 50 already during launch, and my friend will be going Mage.

+ Reply to Thread