+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Clerics and Mages Got You Down? Khlepto's-Kill-All-Mana-User's Spec!

Default Clerics and Mages Got You Down? Khlepto's-Kill-All-Mana-User's Spec!

I am just shy of P6 (like 40k). I have run a ton of different specs in PvP. 51 Assassin 15 Inf and 0 Ranger is my go-to. I also use a NB / Assassin / BD spec that works really well, too. However, neither of those specs worked very well against Clerics, ChlorLocks and other Mana users that have high Valor and or Healing Specs.

Let me first preface this by saying I do not read these boards a great deal. I imagine there are a number of specs that are for killing mana users - and there could be one exactly like the one I have below - or there could be others that are better. I am saying this, and admitting this, so that people understand I am not claiming this to be the best Cleric or Mage killing spec. I am having great success with it and thought I would share. Its as simple as that.

Okay, as you can imagine NB is the biggest portion of the spec. Its 32 NB, 20 Infiltrator and 14 Bladedancer. See spec here:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...xx0R0b0x.i0dhz

This spec takes full advantage of a number of abilities Rogues have for messing with Casters / Mana Users / Healers.

You use both Fell Blades and Cloudy Poison for your weapon enchantments. They are excellent.

I really only use 2 macros. Here they are:

Anytime Spam Macro:

#show ebon fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast anathema
    cast sleight of hand - STRIPS A BUFF
    cast weapon barrage
    cast ebon fury
    cast dusk strike
    cast twilight force
    cast primal strike
    cast fiery spike

Finisher Macro:

#show deadly strike
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast deadly strike
    cast flame thrust

Due to having 20 in Infiltrator you get perma stealth (but beware you stick out like a sore thumb to other stealthers as you do not have Assassin lower detection specced).

So I open from Stealth when possible with Smother - which is the 5 sec silence - it has 20 meter range so you do not even have to be in melee range. You can alternatively use Dark Malady for more DPS power.

I then spam Macro 1 until 5 points and then hit Macro 2 for the finisher. If its a caster then use Twilight Shelter to decrease damage taken. If its a Melee cleric you can use Side Steps. Also, you have Cleanse Soul from Infiltrator as well as Break Free; and if the fight goes wrong or someone adds you can use Dark Containment from NB - so survivability is pretty great. Also, your Macro 1 will snare with Twilight Force, and you can use Dusk to Dawn in a pinch.

Lastly, you have Lost Hope for CC. Always Lost Hope / Incapacitate a Necro's Pet before popping. (Although I dueled an enemy Necro in IPP straight up without CC'n his pet and still won.)

I have soloed a number of Clerics and Mages since trying this spec. Its still early yet, and I want to try dueling a friend in my guild on his Cleric as I have not been able to beat him with a DPS spec. But, so far the results have been great.

As mentioned prior, I am P5 (almost P6) with all PvP gear and only T2 or P4 Weapons (29.2)

Any additional suggestions are welcomed. Flames will be ignored.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Shademade; 07-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Default Ooops

Sorry, was supposed to be in the Rogue Forums. Mods please feel free to move.

If you are a rogue, and mages got you down, then you need to reroll Hello Kitty Online.
    Shut your pie hole!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegee View Post
    If you are a rogue, and mages got you down, then you need to reroll Hello Kitty Online.
    You do have a valid point. I should have clarified that I was more speaking to the high favor (and highly skilled) Mages that roll Chlorlock or Necro. I have seen a Chlorlock run around unkillable like a Cleric in WFs. Of course that was pre 1.3 - not sure if that has changed or not.

But, you're correct, most low to medium valor, and or low skilled, mages go down hard at the hands of a pure dps Rogue.

Shadowlander

Lol, don't be silly. Op is more than right. I have a guildy that plays chloro dom and he is r6, also a v.good player. Last night I saw him tank 10 people for a good length of time, the night before that he managed to come out on top of a 5v1 against 2 mages 2 clerics 1 rogue and 1 warrior. Granted they must have not r6 and some most definately in early 50 blues however it is still very impressive and its the only person I've seen pull it off!
    Very good guide mate, just what we need. This would be great running in a premade where you will have a job to do however most people would just avoid the build as playing in mostly pugs people tend to look for a more versatile generic playstyle. I will definately be trying this build, hopefully by the time I get to r6 I will be able to take his *** out!

Just have Trion nerf them again. Why put in the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by fiandp88 View Post
    Lol, don't be silly. Op is more than right. I have a guildy that plays chloro dom and he is r6, also a v.good player. Last night I saw him tank 10 people for a good length of time, the night before that he managed to come out on top of a 5v1 against 2 mages 2 clerics 1 rogue and 1 warrior. Granted they must have not r6 and some most definately in early 50 blues however it is still very impressive and its the only person I've seen pull it off!
    Very good guide mate, just what we need. This would be great running in a premade where you will have a job to do however most people would just avoid the build as playing in mostly pugs people tend to look for a more versatile generic playstyle. I will definately be trying this build, hopefully by the time I get to r6 I will be able to take his *** out!
    Exactly right. I failed to mention that you will likely never be the DPS or Killing Blow winner in a WF, but your help to the team will be instrumental - and likely will go unknown except in pre mades.

Lol, necrolocks, chlorocks, dom/choloro will spank rogues hard. L2p your mage before you QQ.

Xsi

This does OK ... once every 2 minutes ...

Repeat, once every 2 minutes, yes, you can kill one mana class with this spec. Do you enjoy sitting in stealth for the remainder while your team gets lit up?

Honestly though, mages are relatively at the right spot except for Transference ability under Dominator. There is something seriously wrong with an ability that shuts you down for that long (remember it also takes time to regenerate that lost energy/power as well) that is not subject to diminishing returns like all the other CC out there.

I'd be fine if Transference was on the same CC cooldown but right now with all the other shutdowns out there, Transference may as well be an additional 7-8 second stun.

- just a lowly p6 rogue speaking -
    Last edited by Xsi; 07-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Quote Originally Posted by Xsi View Post
    This does OK ... once every 2 minutes ...

Repeat, once every 2 minutes, yes, you can kill one mana class with this spec. Do you enjoy sitting in stealth for the remainder while your team gets lit up?

Honestly though, mages are relatively at the right spot except for Transference ability under Dominator. There is something seriously wrong with an ability that shuts you down for that long (remember it also takes time to regenerate that lost energy/power as well) that is not subject to diminishing returns like all the other CC out there.

I'd be fine if Transference was on the same CC cooldown but right now with all the other shutdowns out there, Transference may as well be an additional 7-8 second stun.

- just a lowly p6 rogue speaking -

I am not sure which timer you're talking about that allows you to only kill 1 mana user per every 2 minutes. I assume its break free. However, its rather a moot point. All classes and configurations have their best chance to kill someone else when all CDs are up. More relevant, and important, than that point is the fact that how often are you going to be soloing in this spec? This spec is not for soloing. Its for helping your team / premade. There are several things in this spec that makes a caster / healer's life miserable that are on low CDs and up often.

I get your point. But, its pretty much true of any spec. Even 51 assassin you rely upon Break Free or Slip Away - both on 2 min timers. So, yes, for soloing you have your best chance with all CDs up. But, running with a premade or to Codex / large groups = this spec helps a lot.

Its about winning by assisting to take out mana users. But its clearly not a solo or dps spec.
    Last edited by Shademade; 07-06-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shademade View Post
    I really only use 2 macros. Here they are:

Anytime Spam Macro:

#show ebon fury
    suppressmacrofailures
    cast reprisal
    cast anathema
    cast sleight of hand - STRIPS A BUFF
    cast weapon barrage
    cast ebon fury
    cast dusk strike
    cast twilight force
    cast primal strike
    cast fiery spike
    I'd remove anathema and weapon barrage from the spam macro. Use anathema on casters you know are healing. Use weapon barrage to interrupt casting (and trigger silence). Sleight of hand is also very situational and has an ugly 30 second cooldown. Flame Thrust also kinda sucks, but it looks to be your only ranged finisher option.

Once you hit rank 6, are you going to rework your spec to add in Theft of Thought somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkill View Post
    I'd remove anathema and weapon barrage from the spam macro. Use anathema on casters you know are healing. Use weapon barrage to interrupt casting (and trigger silence). Sleight of hand is also very situational and has an ugly 30 second cooldown. Flame Thrust also kinda sucks, but it looks to be your only ranged finisher option.

Once you hit rank 6, are you going to rework your spec to add in Theft of Thought somewhere?
    I agree with all of your points. I made the macro with the idea that I would be targeting only healers. It has worked excellently verses mages too though. I will play around with it, but having only 2 macros as a Rogue is pretty sweet.

Yes, at P6 I will definitely include the Mana Drain Finisher / Theft of Thought. At the cost of Sprint from Bladedancer.
    Last edited by Shademade; 07-06-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fiandp88 View Post
    so 5v1 is 6 calling against the cholo??

Shadowlander

My bad 1 cleric

@OP
    i ran sumthing similar to your build for a while http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...xx0R0b0x.i0dbz
    pretty much the same macro's
    What i found is is that vs Warriors and to a lesser extent Rogues u have no defense your only defensive cds r twighlight shelter & side step the usual warrior spec punishes dodge so vs a warrior your gonna have trouble.
    your stealth is weak so sins catch u before u catch them and generally u cant use your cds till its to late
    that being said you can generally wipe out anything with a blue bar with little resistance

+ Reply to Thread