+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ideas! Class Combos! Phat Lewts Inside!

Default Ideas! Class Combos! Phat Lewts Inside!

Now that I have your attention.... No I kid, so I was in the shower and I had this idea for class combos in Rift. Not the class combos that exist now but something different or a la mode.

So here's the idea, when I put 2 souls together why can't I get a unique ability that only those 2 classes together can do?! Yes that's right! For example: Lets say I go Marksman and Nightblade... I get access to a new ability that only that combo can manifest! Let's call it Fire Arrow! And lets say if I spec so far into both that I get access to another unique ability.

I have thought of a few actually, let's now say I am a Champion and I add the Paladin soul, Now I have access to powerful two-handed holy attacks to use in my DPS rotation.

One more and then I'll let you guys add some examples. I'm a Pyromancer and I add Elementalist! I get access to additional Fire Elemental attacks (If they are available to players) And if they aren't available to players I get access to a Fire Elemental who would then trump the Air Elemental as a reward.

There are a ton of things you can do with this and I know it would take some time to develop and implement but it's an idea for the future. This would truly make Rift's class system the must in-depth and unique system in any MMO. How's that taste? Pretty tasty right? Suck that WoW!

So what do you guys think?

Shadowlander

That's actually pretty neat. The only issue I see is you have to have some way of balancing that against the pure 51 builds. You don't want to force people into hybrid specs because they're better due to additional abilities.

Shadowlander

Signed
    Seems like a great idea, although i do agree to keep it on par w/ pure 51 builds. Even though most pure 51 builds already fail against hybrids but meh thats for trion to work out on theirown.

Default yarr...

and if you combine Chmpion with Para you'll get ranged attacks (like path of...) but with your mighty 2 handers;)... imagine visual of Bahmi champion hurling his zweihander at the enemy... yum;)

...Pally and Riftblade could have some sort of elemental shield (moar damage)

Pally Reaver combo, now that would be challenging... some sort fo holly death damage maybe;)?
    ---------------
    cheers

"Beware, ye, of the dragon's lair,
    for ye are juicy medium rare."

Ascendant

Champion+Paragon = MONKEY GRIP!! (dual-wielding 2handers)
    Bard+bladedancer = buffs that cast when you dodge or parry.
    Warden+Purifier = Shields that regenerate
    Purifier+Sentinel = group shields
    Ranger+Assasin = pet stealth snake with poison damage over time
    Bard+Assasin = AFK cloaked T3 command ship... wait wrong game. Stealth buffs!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Agon View Post
    and if you combine Chmpion with Para you'll get ranged attacks (like path of...) but with your mighty 2 handers;)... imagine visual of Bahmi champion hurling his zweihander at the enemy... yum;)

...Pally and Riftblade could have some sort of elemental shield (moar damage)

Pally Reaver combo, now that would be challenging... some sort fo holly death damage maybe;)?
    The Pally and Reaver combo actually just counteract eachother and you become a regular Joe ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    Some of these are actually pretty cool! I like the group shield with Sent and Purifier, pretty good.
    The Ranger+Sin is pretty wicked too

Rift Disciple

This is a great idea. Good job.

yay Runes of magic!!
    Please....

Rift Master

Ya agreed, seems like a very malleable idea that is easily implemented into this game

I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement, but it would certainly give the game a little more flavor in the class area. Even though the game has a ton of "classes", it feels like it lacks appeal in some areas as far as gettin exactly what you want. This would also give players a reason to mix and match to see what happens.

Also to appeal to the 51 speec classes Trion could limit the number of points needed for the combo abilities. Even with 51 points in a spec there is an additional 15 points to put somewhere else. There is alot to think about with it but let's see what more responses net us.

Ascendant

This sounds like it could be a lot of fun, be a really nice way to encourage people to try out different combos too to see what bonus abilities it would unlock. Of course, being realistic, I don't see anything like this happening in the near future, but it's fun to breainstorm ideas anyway, heh. A few more ideas:

Paladin and Riftblade - Sacred Fire: Life damage attacks deal additional Fire damage.
    Marksman and Nightblade - Dusk Arrow: Deals Death damage over time.
    Bard and Bladedancer - Singing Blades: Motifs refreshed on critical hits.
    Warden and Purifier - Azure Blaze: Chance for Purifier shields to refresh Warden HoTs.
    Assassin and Ranger - Wilderness Stalker: Pets stealth along with the Rogue.
    Riftblade and Paragon - Imbued Blades: Ranged Physical attacks now deal Fire damage instead.
    Nightblade and Riftstalker - Shadow Form: Attackers take Death damage whenever they strike the Rogue.
    Last edited by Kedon; 07-08-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedon View Post
    This sounds like it could be a lot of fun, be a really nice way to encourage people to try out different combos too to see what bonus abilities it would unlock. Of course, being realistic, I don't see anything like this happening in the near future, but it's fun to breainstorm ideas anyway, heh. A few more ideas:

Paladin and Riftblade - Sacred Fire: Life damage attacks deal additional Fire damage.
    Marksman and Nightblade - Dusk Arrow: Deals Death damage over time.
    Bard and Bladedancer - Singing Blades: Motifs refreshed on critical hits.
    Warden and Purifier - Azure Blaze: Chance for Purifier shields to refresh Warden HoTs.
    Assassin and Ranger - Wilderness Stalker: Pets stealth along with the Rogue.
    Riftblade and Paragon - Imbued Blades: Ranged Physical attacks now deal Fire damage instead.
    Nightblade and Riftstalker - Shadow Form: Attackers take Death damage whenever they strike the Rogue.
    Delicious ideas! Love the Bard/BD combo

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeta View Post
    Now that I have your attention.... No I kid, so I was in the shower and I had this idea for class combos in Rift. Not the class combos that exist now but something different or a la mode.

So here's the idea, when I put 2 souls together why can't I get a unique ability that only those 2 classes together can do?! Yes that's right! For example: Lets say I go Marksman and Nightblade... I get access to a new ability that only that combo can manifest! Let's call it Fire Arrow! And lets say if I spec so far into both that I get access to another unique ability.

I have thought of a few actually, let's now say I am a Champion and I add the Paladin soul, Now I have access to powerful two-handed holy attacks to use in my DPS rotation.

One more and then I'll let you guys add some examples. I'm a Pyromancer and I add Elementalist! I get access to additional Fire Elemental attacks (If they are available to players) And if they aren't available to players I get access to a Fire Elemental who would then trump the Air Elemental as a reward.

There are a ton of things you can do with this and I know it would take some time to develop and implement but it's an idea for the future. This would truly make Rift's class system the must in-depth and unique system in any MMO. How's that taste? Pretty tasty right? Suck that WoW!

hehe I said this about 2 months ago in the mage forums but I am picking up what your putting down

Chloro/lock (life and Death) surrounds the mage with a veil of life and death energy sucking the life from all opponents with in 10 meters of the mage and returning it to all party and raid members within 35m of the mage. (basically an aoe healing mortality). each hit doing 1k damage and healing 90% of the damage dealt. (5 min. CD)
    Last edited by Cabreon; 07-08-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndeta View Post

That's not that bad of an idea and it allows for a lot more customization; however, honestly I don't feel like this is really necessary at all. It definitely would make the system unique and everything but it's just not practical. There would also be so many balancing issues and such that would be very difficult to fix as well.

Let's think about RIFT for a second, why is the game so much better and so much different than all the other MMOs (subjective) on the market? Well, that's because of the unique class system. You have a main archetype and then you have your sub archetypes.

What is the easiest downfall of RIFT? Well, that's easy. Imbalances. The class system at the moment is so very difficult to balance that adding more "combinations" would just not be a good idea at the moment. When the game starts reaching it's adolescent stages and the game is a little more stable (no oxymoron intended), then that is a great idea that's worth giving a shot in the public test realm. Like I said though, at this moment it's probably not a good idea anytime soon.

Who knows though? Maybe Trion is already working on this for patch 1.5 which will be the biggest patch marking the exact 6 months that RIFT has been out.

Quote Originally Posted by Paikis View Post
    As for you. I read the first line of Ch. + Para.

I laughed and left my chair for a minute because I lol'd so hard at this horrendous idea. Dual-wielding 2 handers. That's funny because people already complain that warriors 2 shot everyone. So now you want to make them 1/2 shot everyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabreon View Post
    hehe I said this about 2 months ago in the mage forums but I am picking up what your putting down

Chloro/lock (life and Death) surrounds the mage with a veil of life and death energy sucking the life from all opponents with in 10 meters of the mage and returning it to all party and raid members within 35m of the mage. (basically an aoe healing mortality). each hit doing 1k damage and healing 90% of the damage dealt. (5 min. CD)
    Do you have any idea how ridiculously overpowered that is? Even if it's for a 5minute cooldown, ticking for 1k damage and returning it to all raid/party members within 35m? Forget clerics, bring 18 chloro/locks to raids now....

This is what I was talking about being ridiculously hard to balance and stuff like that.

In all honesty, if they do this, they're not going to be adding skills like this. It's probably just going to be something silly like if you are a pyro and an elementalist, they'll add something like a crystalline missile infused with fire that will deal earth damage up front and 100 fire damage over 5 seconds or something to that extent.
    Last edited by Cuts; 07-09-2011 at 12:55 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast