+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Blade Dancers... In raids.

Default Blade Dancers... In raids.

Strengths

The Blade Dancer's mastery of edged weapons allows them to unleash devastating close combat attacks in quick succession. Their honed skills and supernatural agility allow them to avoid incoming attacks for short periods of time and launch lethal sneak attacks on the unwary.

Weaknesses

Once a Blade Dancer's fury is spent, their light armor offers scant protection. They must quickly overcome their opponent's defenses or face defeat themselves.
    How on earth will you make this work in a raid situation. I'm worried, because traditionally, classes that rush in sporadically to expend ALL their stamina/attack power in a blink of an eye will draw immense hate. Warlocks seem to be the opposite of this, DoTs and (curses?) that gradually over time puts their DPS up there with the best.

I just see Raid bosses being Blade Dancer's fly paper. Will BD's have any aggro reduction abilities? Will tanks have sufficient threat abilities that BD's won't need to worry (poor solution IMO, it should take skill to hold aggro)

Minor concern.

lets hope that your right and BD's do get somthing in the anti agro department otherwise they might not be to much fun in a raiding situation as you say. Hopefully the tanks can do there job and maintain the agro or once lost have some nice abilities to get it back. I have found that in my experience though it all comes down to each player knowing how to play there class correctly in raiding situations. For example; If you have a tank with great agro holding capabilities, it dosnt mean squat if the player dosnt know how hold and maintain agro does it? I for one am really looking forward to seeing what the BD can do as i found in other games they have copped a bit of a raw deal. As i have said on several occasions now "Trion havnt let us down yet, so have a little faith until proven otherwise my friends!"

It really just means that you have to wait until a bit into the fight to go all out, same as any other class. Once your tanks are geared up enough and have good rotations, it's much less of a problem.

Of course, it'll be evaluated like everything else if it's out of whack.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

I think that summary isnt enough information to make an educated guess on how it will be played out.

While playing the game, learning aggro has a DPS class is a must. One of the most important things to consider while PvE'ing in large groups. Pulling aggro off main tank/off tank at the wrong time could make things go sour quick .

Based off that brief summary, I would see a basic boss fight in terms of aggro be executed with slow dps(auto attack even if needed) gradually working to full out dps. Not balls to the walls unload dps off the bat.

Also, it could be similar to a WoW rogue where the energy is gradually built up again. Every so often it ticks up.

That is my guess.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Starseeker's Avatar

I have some similar concerns about agro snatching, however, you can counter some of this with their class system.

If the blade dancer is a flare dpser who burns out fast, and gets agro because they are hitting fast and hard, then the smart thing to do would be to look through the other scout classes to find a soul that maybe has some De-agro abilities, or longer period dps dots (like assassin). And mesh the two.

I myself am going to go BD/Ranger, and then if they offer a bard type, I will probably tack bard on there.

With the flexibility of the class system, you won't be leashed into one thing, and you can change souls around till you find something that can counter your weaknesses. It's not like a traditional MMO where you had 1 class, and if they ripped agro, then you had no real way of getting around a class that spike dpses.

Cleric - Defiant - Greybriar

Leader of Midnight Aeternus Guild

Just manage your aggro like in any other game. Let the tank build hate and then go at it regardless of what the class description says.

In addition to what others have said about multi-classing giving you options for better aggro management, there is also the fact that BDs may just suck at raiding. Not every class will be great at every aspect of the game so if the BDs aren't optimal in a raiding environment, switch up your class.

All pretty much hypothetical at this point.

Max DPS in raids ftw

Most games that have burst damage classes such as this also offer de-aggro abilities - I don't think Rift will be any different. Trion could put something in as drastic as EverQuest II's "hate transfer" buffs where a certain per cent of accumulated hate gets transferred to a group member. Or, and more likely, a passive ability on the spec tree will probably lower accumulated hate (like the "Spell Casting Subtlety" AAs in EverQuest) .

Another thing that I see is the "launch[ing] lethal stealth attacks" thing. If they allow Blade Dancers to perform stealth attacks while in combat, they could do something like the evade hotkey for rogues in EverQuest - using stealth stops auto attack (which lowers DPS) but also lowers hate and allows for tactical stealth attacks.

Even with none of this, aggro management is just part of the game (like others have mentioned). Blade Dancers may just have to start out fights with auto attack and start DPSing 10% (or whatever) into the fight. Trion has already stated that because of the ease of changing soul specs, class balance isn't top priority - but a burst DPS class with no aggro management tools could pose a problem.

yeah, i wouldn't worry about that for raids.

As others have said it will more than likely act like a rogue in WoW. where they start with a full pool of energy and expend it quickly with 3 consecutive attacks, then the rest are somewhat slower as the energy regenerates.

The description on the site sounds more like pvp oriented, thus if you can't kill your enemy before your energy pool is gone then you struggle to finish them off.
    Don't try to save yourself, the circle is complete.

They need a guard and block ability that the tanks can gave on the DPS'rs. Hopefully raid group size won't be too large(i'd like to see 8 man groups) so it can stay intimate and easier for the right classes to be cognizant of each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinvrall77 View Post
    They need a guard and block ability that the tanks can gave on the DPS'rs. Hopefully raid group size won't be too large(i'd like to see 8 man groups) so it can stay intimate and easier for the right classes to be cognizant of each other.
    I only want to add since we are talking about specifically raids and instances that a tank putting "gaurd" or "block" on another character is probably the worst thing to do.

The damage the gaurded target will receive is much more then what the tank will receive, thus depleting main tanks health faster. Let the newly aggrod-DPS class STOP all dps(no auto attack) and let tank regain aggro. If the character dies, so be it. Learning the aggro management system will be part of the game, as with any MMO.

On difficult raids when the main tank dies and there aren't any off-tank's or if they die too, the raid generally dies. If 1 dps class dies(due to aggro management problems) then so be it. One(1) death vs entire raid

Basic raiding 101.

Shadowlander

Not hard to imagine a solution. Burst DPS getting aggro alot? give them deaggro abilities, crowd control abilities, tanks better aggro management abilities etc. Worst case scenario the DPS could stop doing DPS and wait until order is restored opposed to mindlessly mashing buttons.

8 man raids? how does that even constitute a raid? Maybe if groups maxed out at 4 and it was 2 groups.

/sigh I pine for the days 72 man EQ1 raids. Class balance was hardly a problem because raids had so many slots to fill, and for that same reason it wasn't hard to get in a top performing raid guild. Rangers weren't considered very good and my raid force had 3. These days 24 man raids are starting to become rare, and when you have classes that can vary more than 24 class balance quickly becomes a hot issue. Seems like people will just start call running the really hard group zones 'raids' soon.

Raids are generally accepted as content requiring multiple FULL groups of players. Not just really hard stuff or zones that drop the best lewtz. Personally I like it when its at least more than 2 full groups.

I agree with you Neiloch. <10 members I would consider just a "group" to an instance. It is (hopefully) a walk in the park to orchestrate a group that size.

I would , in my opinion, consider raids to be 15-20+ people, downing mega mobs and bosses

A fast hard hitting rogue is a raid's dream. Every game has it , because every game out there has adds in every raid boss ecounter. Those adds are usually best killed fast , so the rogue does it.Simple as that, it has its uses and it makes you look good when you kill stuff fast and without hassle
    Deceneu - Xanadu
    http://rift.magelo.com/en/profile/1898430
    eat good-look good;look good-play good;play good-paid good;paid good-eat good

the answer is easy, like scott said, for pvp u may use blade dancer, for raid you may use assassin + nightblade , or some other combo
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast