+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new rogue wanting advice on ranged specs

Default new rogue wanting advice on ranged specs

so then as the title says i just picked the game up yesterday to try it over wow (was attracted by the marksmen class), was just wondering what i want to work towards for a ranged end game capable+desirable dps spec and where to find corresponding rotations, i've seen a few that incorp ranger+mark+sab/assassin that seem to be popular but would like some confermation, also wondering if there is a rift version of EJ, and also what i want to work on to min/max my char so a raid would even look at me.

basically asking for help on a good ranged spec so i don't end up as THAT dps, you know the ******ed one who pulls less dps then the healer.

Rift Disciple

Before you go looking at Raiding, couple things you need to keep in mind. Specially since you just got this game -

1) You start out with 3 souls. Of which, probably the easiest to level with as a Rogue is the Ranger, Bard, Markmen combo. This might have changed but it still should work out.

2) Once you get to your main city and get access to level 14 quests, you can start doing quests to give you access to your other Rogue callings. Be sure you get them all. While they aren't that important now, they can become very important later.

3) You can, for a small fee, reset your soul points and change your callings if you've done the quests for them.

4) You can purchase new Soul sets. This will allow you to have access to a completely different 3 soul callings for doing different roles. The 2nd soul set is pretty cheap and then it gets more expensive up to 100 pp for the 5th soul calling set. These sets can be used for different tasks. Example: PvP, Soloing, Party, Support, Tanking.

5) When starting out, most of the time you'll be soloing. So you want a good build that supports your character while by himself. As a Ranger/Bard/Marksmen you have the Ranger's Pet doing all the tanking and healing. While the Bard part of the soul gives support and healing to pet and the ranger also has some healing to toss on.
    Once you hit 50, you'll start grouping. As a Rogue you can Tank, DPS, or Support. Most Rogues just go DPS. So you'll want to pick abilities that improve your DPS and hope you have a good tank keeping agro and a good healer keeping the tank alive. So you should not need those defensive abilities some soul trees have, so you can skip putting points into them.

6) While leveling, some souls are pretty much worthless till you have at least 10+ points in them but these souls can make good 2nd or 3rd soul in your build. Couple of these are Bard and Riftstalker.

7) Once you get into Raiding, There's a number of builds you can pick that will work for you. These builds usually are very close to party builds but could have a few points moved around, or you could be running a completely different soul build. As some soul builds get more out of raid buffs but loose DPS when they don't have all those buffs.
    Unless you're in a Min/Max guild which will then require you to run the FotM build.

Hope this helps you.
    The big thing is to get all your classes souls as soon as you can.

thanks to both of you for the advice, you both answered a lot of question's i had (though i still have a load more that i will figure out as i go along or find answers to with Google), as for the leveling thing i planed to go with a leveling build one of my friends gave me that looks fairly decent for questing/soloing/dungons till i hit maxish level.

also as to the FoTM crap yea, i play hardmodes in wow so that's par for the course for me and doesn't bother me that much long as i can keep a ranged spec of some sort (mixing it up after 6 years as a melee)

+ Reply to Thread