+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warriors still the permier Tanks or have you been replaced? Raiding Perspective

Soulwalker

Post Warriors still the permier Tanks or have you been replaced? Raiding Perspective

Are warriors still the preferred tank in Dungeons and Raiding?

Rouges can tank but still take more damage then Warriors overextending the healer plus holding agro on multiple mobs if you get adds is a bit tricky.

Clerics have great physical mitigation(maybe the highest) but holding with multi mobs can be tricky.

I have all three and wanted the community perspective before I convert one for Raiding only...

Which is the best to have for tanking endgame and which is the most needed?
    Last edited by Heartwork; 07-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Ideally, you want to have both rogue and warriors tanks. They have their strengths.

Cleric tanks are mostly for giggles.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwork View Post
    Are warriors still the preferred tank in Dungeons and Raiding?

Rouges can tank but still take more damage then Warriors overextending the healer plus holding agro on multiple mobs if you get adds is a bit tricky.

Clerics have great physical mitigation(maybe the highest) but holding with multi mobs can be tricky.

I have all three and wanted the community perspective before I convert one for Raiding only...

Which is the best to have for tanking endgame and which is the most needed?
    Warriors are the best tanks for everything except bosses that have large single-target magic damaging abilities. Rogues have all kinds of damage reduction talents and finishers that make them better for main tanking, say, Greenscale. A warrior can tank Greenscale, and can do it well, but just not quite as well as a rogue.

Rogues are terrible add/trash tanks. They also have pretty horrible AoE threat. Warriors shine once you have more than one enemy to fight.

In regards to clerics, they are just kind of lol, although I have seen a couple of good cleric tanks do very will in experts. More people use Justicar as an off-role for off-healing or pvp purposes.

With current gear levels, you can do T2's with whatever class you want. For raids, rogue/warrior is where it's at.

Champion of Telara

a 51 point void will actually have very similar cooldowns for such single target fights which puts then close, but I think rogues still pull slightly ahead.

Aw, show justicars some love. I put out 500-600 hps as a justicar tank in aoe fights (Hylas, Alsbeth, Herald) as OT. Definitely a poor choice to MT for most fights, though.

Justicars are pretty neat in an offtank/offheals/support role, and we use one ourselves, but they aren't up to snuff for MT duties. If I was a cleric I'd be pretty unhappy about that, tbh. And every non cleric in my raid groans when cleric tanking loot drops, as it does far too frequently.

Cleric tanks could use some love.

Warriors were never the premier tanks. So no they haven't been replaced.
    GSB 5/5 ROS 4/4 GP 4/4 DH 4/4 HK 10/11

aux

Quote Originally Posted by Flaviusx View Post
    And every non cleric in my raid groans when cleric tanking loot drops, as it does far too frequently.
    Sure does. Every raid boss drop table has 2 or 3 item drop slots... 1 or 2 cleric tank items, and 1 random other (also often a cleric) item.
    And yet I've only ever seen 1 cleric tank in all my T1-T2 dungeon runs!
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by Athux View Post
    Warriors were never the premier tanks. So no they haven't been replaced.
    must be new

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tomhousecat View Post
    Aw, show justicars some love. I put out 500-600 hps as a justicar tank in aoe fights (Hylas, Alsbeth, Herald) as OT. Definitely a poor choice to MT for most fights, though.
    Give yourself more credit - whenever a tank-switch is required a cleric tank is not completely useless when he is not the one tanking - just swap the mien and you go from tank to mediocre healer, which still beats a warrior tank who doesn't tank and basically just wastes space. Plus a cleric tanks bring a BR, the more your DDs suck, the better the cleric tank becomes. (and since I play on a RP server almost every DD can't follow simple instructions like run,jump,don't look in the light, don't stand in funny floor)

And never forget: the cleric calling has no bad souls, just souls that have not been buffed to op yet :P

Justicar tanks are great off tanks...

Righteous Mandate the main tank... throw on a 2 hander and DPS a bit... your heals with net you 400-600 hps which will help you healers.... if the tank does die.... hit you Sword and Board macro .. and pick up the mob... You could save the raid. Which I actually did once on a raid rift.

When it comes down to having a warrior offtank and a justicar offtank.... justicar is just better. We do the same DPS as warriors in tank mode...but pull a ton of group healing. In addition the LOH and the Combat res make things so much easier.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Korrow View Post
    Justicar tanks are great off tanks...

Righteous Mandate the main tank... throw on a 2 hander and DPS a bit... your heals with net you 400-600 hps which will help you healers.... if the tank does die.... hit you Sword and Board macro .. and pick up the mob... You could save the raid. Which I actually did once on a raid rift.

When it comes down to having a warrior offtank and a justicar offtank.... justicar is just better. We do the same DPS as warriors in tank mode...but pull a ton of group healing. In addition the LOH and the Combat res make things so much easier.
    I second this. As a Justicar, I can't match warriors/rogues MTing most bosses (especially if the MT needs to offtank 1 add) but I do make a great offtank since I don't have to just sit around looking stupid after the add dies. I also get a very unique ability for pulling certain trash mobs and a ton of healing drone by SHoE on 3+ mob pulls so I think we're among the best for general offtanking ability, just poor at MTing and I can kind of live with that if they would just give us a bit more snap threat.

Soulwalker

Thank you so much for all the input I decided on Warrior for the simple reason that as for t3 gear it starting to look like Warrior will pull ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Heartwork View Post
    Thank you so much for all the input I decided on Warrior for the simple reason that as for t3 gear it starting to look like Warrior will pull ahead.
    Warrior will never pull ahead so long as the trees stay the same and Trion continues to base fights the way they do. I say this because Trion usually puts large spike damage in boss fights as magic damage something that even though a warrior has an entire soul dedicated to dealing with a rogue can still handle much better. While warriors now do have some great CDs to match rogues for magic mitigation, rogues higher health pool and higher resistances are two big factors that warriors can't compete with. If you hit up Ciderhelms site you'll see a perfect illustration of this by looking up the math he does comparing warrior and rogue tanks on GS.

As an OT warrior is probably better. I say this (and I will admit to being a warrior and possibly biased) because of spotters orders as the biggest reason and also because we do generate threat so quickly and well on multiple targets. Spotters is a must if you wanna min/max and since an OTs job is usually about getting high threat quickly and on multiple mobs I say it wins out over a cleric despite heals and battle rezzes.

Still I think that Trion has done a really good job of bringing warriors close to rogues with 1.2 and now all three classes close enough to each other in 1.3 that the content can be done with any of the callings.
    Last edited by zacger; 07-06-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Warrior tanks will never be replaced as long as AoE tanking is needed and spotter's order exists. Those two things alone make warrior tanks stand apart from rogue tanks. (lol cleric tanks)
    "You're not alone. We are each other's accomplice. If you are a Witch, then perhaps I should be a Demon."
    < > - Hansenightly lv50 Warrior: Dayblind (Original) -Guardian
    Aurgaritrix lv35 Rogue: Deepstrike - Defiant (Quit after 1st Sab nerf)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast