+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enchanter and Wizard

Soulwalker

Default Enchanter and Wizard

What about old EQ1 style Enchanter and Wizard

Syerra

i for one am a HUGE fan of the way the original enchanter was done, the role it played and the skill level required to do it well, there were enchanters, and there were the few who were truly masters of the class. having never played PVP eq1, i cant say how that worked for the enchanters first hand, but they were one of the truly skill oriented classes of the time

Telaran

The Wizard role seems to be filled by the Pyromancer, or at least i hope it will. =)

I can imagine they would have a dedicated caster for every "element" water, fire, earth. etc.

How i can envision it working is:

death and fire are probably damage oriented (pyro and warlock)

life and earth are probably more support types (druids and shaman maybe)

air and water could be more crowd control (freeze and tornado type spells)

still leaves 2 of the 8 classes un accounted for.

that not to say there wont be any combination of the above, or that earth couldnt be poison based and the a death based class couldnt have some sort of combat rez (necros in eq2 for example)

but then again i could be way off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Syerra View Post
    What about old EQ1 style Enchanter and Wizard

Syerra
    Was Necromancer in EQ1 as well? If yes, why didnt you include him?
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Surely with this much flexibility we'll see an enchanter/coercer/psionicist soul in the Mage calling. Something with a focus on CC and support is bound to be in there given their system.

Druid is a tough call though, it could rightfully go in either Mage or Cleric callings. Again I assume we'll see something druid-like, and just have to wait and see where it ends up, and if its healing or damage focused.

Rift Disciple

A class similar to the EQ1 Enchanter would be cool to see again. It took the skill of a good player to lock mobs down consistently, and it was cool to watch a good chanter play.

Quote Originally Posted by Satris View Post
    A class similar to the EQ1 Enchanter would be cool to see again. It took the skill of a good player to lock mobs down consistently, and it was cool to watch a good chanter play.
    True that.

I also liked the big bang class the wizard was and the aggro the class took if it started blasting. It took patience as a wizard to not get aggro. Ice Comet was the first big bang I had in my wizard times. The "Oooohhhhh ****" comments were fun

I don't know why no other game (as far as I know) never made an EQ1 enchanter. May be because it is hard to balance damages ?
    But seeing a good player charming mobs and damaging was really nice, knowing that a medium player would put all group in difficulties.
    I was playing a summoner, but in some instances, we had the possibility of charming elementals, and I always remember it like a fun play .. and a dangerous one too ;)

The enchanter was (and still is) a great class in EverQuest - not only for the charming aspect. The buffs, especially mana regen pre-Out of Combat regen, brought a lot to groups. Debuffs, too, were top-notch on the enchanter.

Even if Trion does not build a class around charming mobs, giving a "swarm pet"-like charm to one class would be nice. Charming in EverQuest and other games (EverQuest II, for example) is commonly used as crowd control - almost like a mez. Even if the charm only lasted for 30 seconds (which I would hope it would last much longer), the ability to charm takes a mob out of combat and transfers some of it's DPS to you.

EverQuest II took all the surprise out of charming by adding a reliable timer to the effect. I much preferred the anxiety of the original charm - parking your pet 50+ meters away from you as you med so you have time to re-charm if necessary, scrambling to hit your charm spell when your first was resisted, etc.

Watching a truly good chanter was definitely an awesome experience, I'd get caught up sometimes just watching them and forget to do whatever it was I was supposed to do .

Unfortunately, I don't think we'll see another class that functions the same way ever again because to do what they did, the pace of combat would have to slow way way back down again. At times I miss the slower the pace of combat, I played a shammie in EQ1, and I absolutely loved slowing mobs, that was my schtick

I like the idea certain souls (probably heroic souls) being dedicated to a particular play style (for instance the EQ1 enchanter play style) even if that play style isn't going to be needed for the majority of the encounters. I also like the idea of certain souls requiring special skill to play.

I think that's where the soul system will shine - there are limitless options for introducing fine tuned souls to it...

Chanters will be a fun class as long as they don't do like EQ2 this last xpac and nurf the class so much no one will play it.
    And WIZARD FTW!

hey hevenly ive seen u around in eq2...it seems Rift's version of the wizard is going to be Pyromancer...hopefully an enchanterish mage class is one of the ones they haven't leaked yet.
    Merlonus-Pyro-lock

Quote Originally Posted by Merlonus View Post
    hey hevenly ive seen u around in eq2...it seems Rift's version of the wizard is going to be Pyromancer...hopefully an enchanterish mage class is one of the ones they haven't leaked yet.
    Yeah man i'm waiting to see what the other mage souls will be before i make up my mind on how i'm going to play, but it will be fun to test out and see that's for sure!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast