+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A BIT worried (though not to much) about the classes

Default A BIT worried (though not to much) about the classes

So, I got to thinking today, while looking at the classes and whatnot, I noticed that the warrior is the only calling that does not have an identified ranged soul... I realize it is a warrior, but in DnD I remembered speccing a fighter around using a bow...

I'm just a tad incy bit worried that warriors will not have any ranged utilities and become forfeit to ranged in PvP. If you look at the rest of the callings, they all have ranged souls, (of course the mages do, but besides to point I am trying to make). As a, say, Blade Dancer, I could add to a Ranger soul for some ranged... As an Inquisitor, I could add to the Purifier soul for some possible ranged spells, and of course there is the mage... But what about the warrior? Are they doomed to be completely melee? I'm sure melee will get a few utilities to guard against being kited easily, but coming from playing a ranger in EQ, a hunter in WoW, and a ranger in Aion, if I want to kite you, you're going to be kited, and with some of us being as good as we are with kiting, I don't see how the general warrior could hold up.

Just a slight concern, what do you guys think?

I'm currently taking a wait and see approach. We know of 3 or so warrior souls out of a possible 8. We know almost nothing of the skills of those we have heard of bar the class discriptions. Really, too early to be concerned or not over such a thing.

Plane Touched

Beastmaster is a fighter class.
    And also a pet class.
    So pets can probably chase down people from ranged.

Also, regular warriors in most games can use bows, so there will be ranged damage there.

Wouldnt be suprised if there is a spell-based fighter class as well which will open up ranged damage from spells.

Yeah i'm not too worried i'm sure they will have some ranged options. And if not they'll have a way to keep people in their mitts while they're wailing away on them. Thus is the way of things in MMOs.

I'm more alarmed at the lack of Melee Mages.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ahrakis View Post
    So, I got to thinking today, while looking at the classes and whatnot, I noticed that the warrior is the only calling that does not have an identified ranged soul... I realize it is a warrior, but in DnD I remembered speccing a fighter around using a bow...

I'm just a tad incy bit worried that warriors will not have any ranged utilities and become forfeit to ranged in PvP. If you look at the rest of the callings, they all have ranged souls, (of course the mages do, but besides to point I am trying to make). As a, say, Blade Dancer, I could add to a Ranger soul for some ranged... As an Inquisitor, I could add to the Purifier soul for some possible ranged spells, and of course there is the mage... But what about the warrior? Are they doomed to be completely melee? I'm sure melee will get a few utilities to guard against being kited easily, but coming from playing a ranger in EQ, a hunter in WoW, and a ranger in Aion, if I want to kite you, you're going to be kited, and with some of us being as good as we are with kiting, I don't see how the general warrior could hold up.

Just a slight concern, what do you guys think?
    All warrior classes (all classes in fact) should be able to pick up a bow and use it. Weapon choice should never be class limited. Obviously, when you are a mage or tank with a bow, your attack range and damage will never come close to that of an archer, but still the option should be there. Every close range class should also posess some very limited rush skill (makes him run faster) or a ranged slow skill.

But what is very important: do not go overboard with those slows/roots, ect - if any class can be held without any chance of running, that class will be worthless in pvp. For example a root of 5 secs with 50% chance to hit and 7 secs cooldown is acceptable (since you will be able to run 50% of the time), but anything more than that is a game breaker for the ranged classes.

They said multiple times that some class Are not made for PVP. So yeah.. some will be useless
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The chances are many of the warrior souls have ample amounts of anti cc - root breaks, charges, pulls/grab, aoe knock downs etc which would balance them out in pvp. Not to mention the considerable defence advantage of wearing plate.

The cances of a whole calling becoming forfeit to all ranged classes is impossible.

The only ranged ability i ever expect to see on the tougher/tank melee classes is a low damage axe toss-esque ability.

All classes have mechanics of getting to/getting away from their target. Alot of good pvp comes from knowing the situation and making sure you're not caught off guard. (And hoping the playing field is relatively balanced)
    Last edited by Astile; 08-15-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Astile View Post
    The chances are many of the warrior souls have ample amounts of anti cc - root breaks, charges, pulls/grab, aoe knock downs etc which would balance them out in pvp. Not to mention the considerable defence advantage of wearing plate.

The cances of a whole calling becoming forfeit to all ranged classes is impossible.

The only ranged ability i ever expect to see on the tougher/tank melee classes is a low damage axe toss-esque ability.

All classes have mechanics of getting to/getting away from their target. Alot of good pvp comes from knowing the situation and making sure you're not caught off guard. (And hoping the playing field is relatively balanced)
    Pretty much what I'm thinking right here, there will surely be ways for warriors to handle ranged characters.

ranged pvp is usually only viable if the class can kill someone before they get into melee range, or can root/mez etc. while they plink away at them. warriors SHOULD be able to survive long enough, and be able to have a short recast ability that removes root/snare/mez to close that distance.

Isn't a Charge ability in the description of the Champion soul? You can always dip into that for your PVP Role.

Quote Originally Posted by Xilith View Post
    I'm more alarmed at the lack of Melee Mages.
    This has me alarmed a bit as well.. It would be really nice to have a decent Melee Mage. Mix it with a ranged mage, and rogues will think twice before going for a clothie!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyroth View Post
    They said multiple times that some class Are not made for PVP. So yeah.. some will be useless
    SOoooo... Warriors are not meant for PvP?

Back on track: Equipping a bow on a warrior works ok and all, but I think people overestimate how well it works, one reason being that warriors would only be able (assuming) to auto attack, which can be ok if they start running away, but we need a few hits in melee wise for the bow to really help out... It will also (depending on how Trion is doing loot) be beyond a pain in the *** to get a bow as a warrior when all the rogues will want one... So warriors would be stuck with crafting bows (if we can craft bows) or the equivalent to BoE bows.

^ is just an argument to telling warriors to just use a bow...

I have no doubt that warriors will get anti-kite utilities, but if you're coming from WoW, I'm not sure you understand how well some of us can kite... WoW, for what it's worth, was a bit more difficult to kite, EQ/EQII/Aion, it is a peace of cake, even if they snared us, we had utilities to still keep them at bay till their snare wore off on us.

I'm hoping warriors get maybe just 2 or 3 bow skills in one of their souls...just a fraction of what other ranged classes get, maybe something like Achilles Shot, which reduces their run speed... Something along those lines, I don't want stuns, stuns ruin games as that is all PvP turns into, a stun fest on who can get off more stuns faster, wins.

no.. They said that paladin wouldnt be the best at pvp.. while champ and raver might be.. They arent balancing every class so everyone can do everything perfectly.. some are better at some aspect of the game.. Pve and PVP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Why would you need a Dedicated Warrior for Ranged? Their MAIN ability is close combat. There may not be any currently listed that have a Skill with Ranged - but - that doesn't mean they won't have a Ranged Ability. Bow and Crossbow, Throwing Knife, Dagger, Axe, Hammer oh - and don't forget - you can if a Champion cross class to Reaver and/or Paladin and pick up some of their ranged attack/taunt spells.

And a champion probably has some ranged taunt spells/abilities also don't forget. Just because it's NOT specifically mentioned, doesn't mean it's not there.
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast