+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tanks...Cleric, Warrior, or Rogue?

Soulwalker

Question Tanks...Cleric, Warrior, or Rogue?

What are the best tanks in rift for end game tanking?

I just recently got back to Rift, and before I leave I heard rogues were the best tanks...Then I heard warriors got massive nerfs in 1.2 or something. What does it look like now?

I'm trying to decide if I should level my warrior or rogue.

Soulwalker

Go Mage and be leet

Warriors are the best for almost every fight. There are a few where the rogue's 100% damage reduction make them a little better, but overall, warriors are the best. It's also a lot easier to get tank gear for a warrior.. I'm finding it hard gearing up my rogue and cleric tanks, honestly.

Also, warriors have THE best aoe threat. Period. Rogues and Clerics can't come close to our threat. That basically means that dungeon groups will go faster because you'll be able to pull faster and not have the healer get gibbed because your only aoe move is on CD or it doesn't hit enough targets.

Also, my warrior is my main, with my mage coming after that. I have a cleric and rogue in assorted t1/blue gear and I can honestly say that cleric tanking is my favorite. But warriors are so much easier to heal and play in dungeons, that I'd rather just play a warrior.
    Last edited by Venditte; 06-26-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Shadowlander

Not sure about rogues, but the way clerics generate threat is a lot different than warriors. Warriors are the only ones (I think) that can do instant threat.

Which is nice because if there is someone doing SO much damage that they get threat, you can instantly take it back.

While on the other hand, if you are a cleric you might have a hard time getting threat back.

Now that Void Knight abilities properly mitigate some of the damage in raid encounters in which rogues were favorable warriors might make a come back in those scenarios.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post
    Warriors are the best for almost every fight. There are a few where the rogue's 100% damage reduction make them a little better, but overall, warriors are the best. It's also a lot easier to get tank gear for a warrior.. I'm finding it hard gearing up my rogue and cleric tanks, honestly.

Also, warriors have THE best aoe threat. Period. Rogues and Clerics can't come close to our threat. That basically means that dungeon groups will go faster because you'll be able to pull faster and not have the healer get gibbed because your only aoe move is on CD or it doesn't hit enough targets.

Also, my warrior is my main, with my mage coming after that. I have a cleric and rogue in assorted t1/blue gear and I can honestly say that cleric tanking is my favorite. But warriors are so much easier to heal and play in dungeons, that I'd rather just play a warrior.
    As a cleric tank I agree 100% xept for: the AoE threat thingie... (once you got SHoE you'll build so much AoE threat that its sad)

Quote Originally Posted by Venditte View Post

Having said that, which warrior trees do you recommend spending points in for greather threat? I currently have a VK/Reaver/Paladin..but kinda wondering...am I doing it wrong? Is there an easier way?

Soulwalker

I suggest looking at ciderhelm.com he has some really nice leveling and endgame guides for warrior tanks. Specificly http://ciderhelm.com/?p=359

Rogue will give you more options if you get sick of Tanking, it's also by far the most fun tank to play.

The only reason i played Rift after about lvl30 was because i enjoyed playing Riftstalker, just too bad the rest of the game wasn't as fun.
    "It always sound scarier when a hollerer talk soft."

Prophet of Telara

Basically ...
    Warrior tanks have 4 different tank souls, and so are capable of handling pretty much any possible encounter out there - though may not be the best for a situation.
    Rogue and Cleric both have just the single tank soul, and are specialized as a result to where there's a few situations where they're really good for, and a few where they're really bad for. It used to be that rogue tanks were absolutely horrible for AE threat - though I think they 'recently' (was it 1.2?) were given an AE threat builder and there's also a couple items that can help with AE threat too (crustacean claw out of xAP, and an air raid rift essence).

Of course if you're not needed for tanking, warrior only has melee dps as an alternative - while rogue and cleric both have multiple other options for roles that they can slip into within a group/raid.
    Last edited by Caeldan; 06-27-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Quote Originally Posted by JHRayne View Post
    Having said that, which warrior trees do you recommend spending points in for greather threat? I currently have a VK/Reaver/Paladin..but kinda wondering...am I doing it wrong? Is there an easier way?
    I have 26 vk. Which gives me ragestorm and tempest. Those alone are about as much aoe a rogue has. After that, I have 22 reaver. Diseases are the best aoe and single target threat moves in our arsenal, and you get vicious cleave. And finally, 18 in paladin. Not a lot of AoE there. Just a 3 person cleave, and it hits pretty hard. For leveling, I'd go check out Ciderhelm's guides. Someone linked his site above. I got most of my basic builds from him and tweaked/messaround with them to my liking

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by JHRayne View Post
    Six points in warlord nets you the highest instant threat you can get anywhere (Spotter's Order + Battlefield Awareness).

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Saihrean View Post
    What are the best tanks in rift for end game tanking?

I just recently got back to Rift, and before I leave I heard rogues were the best tanks...Then I heard warriors got massive nerfs in 1.2 or something. What does it look like now?

I'm trying to decide if I should level my warrior or rogue.
    It depends.

* If you want versatility in tank styles, go Warrior. They have 4 tank souls.
    * If you want high mobility, go Rogue. They have 6 teleports.
    * If you want absurdly high tps, or like to solo same-level elites, go Cleric.

Riftstalkers (Rogue soul) and Void Knights (Warrior soul) are in a close race for "best" endgame tank. Rogues have the most passive magic damage mitigation, Void Knights have more tools than a Swiss army knife. Each has abilities that let you ignore entire mechanics on certain encounters. Both Rogues and Warriors have tanked every encounter in the game successfully; I'm not sure that's true of Clerics. I do know that for a long time, bringing a Cleric to Lord Greenscale was considered doing it on nightmare mode.

If it were me, and I had to do it all over again, I'd be hard pressed to decide between Rogue and Warrior. The temptation is to go Warrior and spec deep Void Knight just to eat Mages in PVP. But then I originally went Rogue to dps. It's just that when people find out you CAN tank, that's all you're ever going to do again.
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-27-2011 at 01:05 PM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Ascendant

Default PvE Tanks

Cleric: Healing Brick
    Warrior: Apple iBrick (there's a spec for that...)
    Rogue: Teleporting Brick

Clerics hold hate by healing things... once you outgear zones, they actually get WORSE for threat because there isn't as much to heal. They have less mit/block than warriors but make up for it by healing the extra damage they take. They do take alot more magical damage than the other tanks. Can generate threat on any amount of mobs because their healing works as threat against everything engaged by the group. Can literally tank infinity mobs as long as they can survive. Can also DPS, main heal or support heal.

Pros
    - Can heal for alot. Can cover for bad healers.
    - Good AoE threat generation. Easily pick up adds by just hitting the ones you're on now.
    - If you're not tanking, you can cover any other role.

Cons
    - High levels of gear make cleric tanking harder due to lack of things to heal. Take less damage = less to heal = less threat.
    - Take alot more magical damage than other tanks.
    - Can have almost all their threat completely shut down by a single healer with shield spells.

Warriors have easy mode agro (seriously, once a warrior has hate he's keeping it). They have the best Physical mitigation due to block (this needs looking into or warriors are going to be the only ones ABLE to tank heavy physical mobs within an expansion or two). Have alot of specs available and alot of options for tanking. Second best (just) magical damage tank. Can also DPS quite well.

Pros
    - Best Physical damage reduction
    - Very close second in magical damage reduction
    - Can change specs more easily to account for certain fights.
    - Best snap agro.

Cons
    - Not very role-flexible. You can't heal and can't really support. Tank or DPS thats it.
    - Too many options. This class is probably the hardest tank to master.

Rogues have the hardest time with AoE threat. It's still doable, but you will have to work harder than the other tanks. They are easily the most mobile, with 6-7 moves that teleport them around the battlefield, some of which come with attacks built in. They have VERY nice temps. Rogue tanks have the most hitpoints by far, as well as the best magical tanking. Their main problem comes from the fact that they're squishy until they get their buffs up.

Pros
    - VERY mobile.
    - Best magical mitigation
    - Very nice temps
    - Can teleport a mob pack to right infront of you, where you can be sure your entire group can hit all of them
    - Can ignore alot of fight mechanics by simply making yourself immune to all damage for short duration

Cons
    - Have about half of their damage reduction as a 20 second buff that they need combo points to put up. Very squishy until this goes up.
    - Long cooldowns on AoE threat moves. Can suck if you need one NOW and they're all unavailable.
    - Threat generation is dependant on another buff they have to put up. Chosing between squishy-with-hate or brick-without-hate.

Plane Touched

If you want something hard to master and like Micro Managing pick warrior.
    If you want easy mode, viable with the littlest amount of effort possible pick a Rogue.
    If you want the previous gimped class...slowly making a comeback, but not yet...go cleric.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast