+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

Thread: Rift equivalent to WOW's Ret Pally and Shadow Priest?

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default Rift equivalent to WOW's Ret Pally and Shadow Priest?

    Hey Everyone, I am fairly new to Rift....so far have a mage that is Stormcaller/Elem/Dom in the mid 20's and I am having fun with that toon.

    I have played WoW a long time, and my favorite classes there have been Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. I am a bit (understatement) overwhelmed with all of the choices in Rift....but also think the soul/calling system is awesome.

    What would be similar class combinations in Rift? Ret Pally's use two-handed weapon...have some healing and buffing abilities, and they are primarily melee dps. I would assume a warrior, but then after reading some of the threads here, could see that a cleric class could be similar, as far as "feel".

    Shadow Priest is a ranged spell caster, using dots, and some healing abilities as well. Again, because of the flexibility in classes, I could see either a mage or cleric could fill this as well.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    369

    Default

    You should probably go with a cleric, as they have builds most similar to those two classes. Ret Paladin would be a shaman/justicar mix most likely, and shadow priest some type of inquisitor build.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    As poster above noted, sham/justicar, also druid is a melee DPS cleric so as pure melee those 3 go together. Justicar is a tanking soul, each has some moderate healing ability and buffs.

    Inquisitor definately has a shadow priest feel to is, as does cabalist. Inq/Cab/Purifier (gives you shield, some healing) is one of the more common caster builds.

    There is also a hybrid melee/caster that is seen often and very powerful. It involves justicar, inquisitor and shaman (I think). I have encountered people using it, and knew a few in guild as well. It allows you to tank several mobs at once with your justicar abilities and healing, and use the Soul Drain from Inq in combination with Hex (which gives you healing from damage) to take on crowds of mobs. Definately one of the more productive means of mass killing mobs, though I'd not be surprised to see a nerf. Anything really fun gets nerfed.

  4. #4
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions....I had a feeling that Cleric would probably be closest to both. I haven't examined the warrior specs much....I know there are some 2-handed dps specs....but I haven't seen much in the way of self-heals...or just heals in general. Or am I just missing something?

  5. #5
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorlin View Post
    Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions....I had a feeling that Cleric would probably be closest to both. I haven't examined the warrior specs much....I know there are some 2-handed dps specs....but I haven't seen much in the way of self-heals...or just heals in general. Or am I just missing something?
    there is no self heal in warrior specs so if you want self heal you have go with cleric

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stony66 View Post
    there is no self heal in warrior specs so if you want self heal you have go with cleric
    Actually Paladin soul has a 100% self-heal on a 10 minute cooldown. Reaver has a bunch of life drains. That's about it though.

  7. #7
    Telaran Zarokima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    96

    Default

    I haven't played Cleric, but I seriously doubt anything there could get closer to a Shadow Priest than a Chloromancer Mage.

  8. #8
    Sword of Telara Ts117's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stony66 View Post
    there is no self heal in warrior specs so if you want self heal you have go with cleric
    As mentioned previously, Paladin has a self heal and paired with Reaver's soul sickness HoT warriors can do quite well with self healing in pve leveling.

    This has been my build pretty much since beta.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...GszzcMGzso.xMo

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Paladins also have two different heals on blocks a couple tiers up the talent trees (31/x/x). It's not a flashy build like riftblade but will let you solo forever w/o drinking and multiple mobs are no problem. Anything goes wrong and you still have the 10 min full heal.

    It would be nice though if warriors had some sort of ranged or heal build for a change of pace and/or for those bosses where melee gets the bone.

  10. #10
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    36

  11. #11
    Rift Disciple Quiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    110

    Default

    For a class similar to a shadow priest you would want to be Chloro/lock. (Nice since its just been buffed by a ****ton).

    Similarities include a form that you have to put up before fighting, your death dots will aoe heal for a small ammount, you have cooldowns and procs to watch, lots of dots, some casted nukes which can proc and be instant. You have the ability to take 80% less damage (DISPERSION!) and best of all while using your 80% damage you can still preform hostile actions.

    I played a shadow priest for several years on WoW, and a chloro/lock is pretty much a carbon copy.
    Quiver @ Molinar
    <The Enclave>

    For most, the first thing they put on in the morning is their underwear. I however put on my headset.

  12. #12
    Ascendant Chomag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bucharest, Romania
    Posts
    2,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thorlin View Post
    Hey Everyone, I am fairly new to Rift....so far have a mage that is Stormcaller/Elem/Dom in the mid 20's and I am having fun with that toon.

    I have played WoW a long time, and my favorite classes there have been Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. I am a bit (understatement) overwhelmed with all of the choices in Rift....but also think the soul/calling system is awesome.

    What would be similar class combinations in Rift? Ret Pally's use two-handed weapon...have some healing and buffing abilities, and they are primarily melee dps. I would assume a warrior, but then after reading some of the threads here, could see that a cleric class could be similar, as far as "feel".

    Shadow Priest is a ranged spell caster, using dots, and some healing abilities as well. Again, because of the flexibility in classes, I could see either a mage or cleric could fill this as well.

    Thanks!
    Ret pala: shaman/justicar/warden build

    Shadow priest: inquisitor/justicar build.

    So yeah, you can have both if you play a cleric.
    Last edited by Chomag; 06-28-2011 at 02:33 AM.

  13. #13
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    763

    Default

    The Ret paladin feel your probably looking for is Shaman 31/Justicar 21/Inquisitor 14.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

  14. #14
    RIFT Guide Writer Milen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,372

    Default

    There are some self heals in the Warrior tree but they are generally quite limited and cannot compare to the Cleric builds. IMHO a Cleric will be a better choice for you.
    retired

  15. #15
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stony66 View Post
    there is no self heal in warrior specs so if you want self heal you have go with cleric
    Beastmaster actually has a small self-heal on a low cooldown. The rest of warriors "heals" revolve around draining life or healing when hit (which isn't really a heal, its just mitigation). The only actual heal is in Beastmaster, and its pretty small, and in Paladin, which is a 10 min cooldown so not really a heal.
    Last edited by Goodtank; 06-28-2011 at 08:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts