+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rift equivalent to WOW's Ret Pally and Shadow Priest?

Soulwalker

Default Rift equivalent to WOW's Ret Pally and Shadow Priest?

Hey Everyone, I am fairly new to Rift....so far have a mage that is Stormcaller/Elem/Dom in the mid 20's and I am having fun with that toon.

I have played WoW a long time, and my favorite classes there have been Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. I am a bit (understatement) overwhelmed with all of the choices in Rift....but also think the soul/calling system is awesome.

What would be similar class combinations in Rift? Ret Pally's use two-handed weapon...have some healing and buffing abilities, and they are primarily melee dps. I would assume a warrior, but then after reading some of the threads here, could see that a cleric class could be similar, as far as "feel".

Shadow Priest is a ranged spell caster, using dots, and some healing abilities as well. Again, because of the flexibility in classes, I could see either a mage or cleric could fill this as well.

Thanks!

Rift Chaser

You should probably go with a cleric, as they have builds most similar to those two classes. Ret Paladin would be a shaman/justicar mix most likely, and shadow priest some type of inquisitor build.

Rift Disciple

As poster above noted, sham/justicar, also druid is a melee DPS cleric so as pure melee those 3 go together. Justicar is a tanking soul, each has some moderate healing ability and buffs.

Inquisitor definately has a shadow priest feel to is, as does cabalist. Inq/Cab/Purifier (gives you shield, some healing) is one of the more common caster builds.

There is also a hybrid melee/caster that is seen often and very powerful. It involves justicar, inquisitor and shaman (I think). I have encountered people using it, and knew a few in guild as well. It allows you to tank several mobs at once with your justicar abilities and healing, and use the Soul Drain from Inq in combination with Hex (which gives you healing from damage) to take on crowds of mobs. Definately one of the more productive means of mass killing mobs, though I'd not be surprised to see a nerf. Anything really fun gets nerfed.

Soulwalker

Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions....I had a feeling that Cleric would probably be closest to both. I haven't examined the warrior specs much....I know there are some 2-handed dps specs....but I haven't seen much in the way of self-heals...or just heals in general. Or am I just missing something?

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Thorlin View Post
    Thanks guys, I will try your suggestions....I had a feeling that Cleric would probably be closest to both. I haven't examined the warrior specs much....I know there are some 2-handed dps specs....but I haven't seen much in the way of self-heals...or just heals in general. Or am I just missing something?
    there is no self heal in warrior specs so if you want self heal you have go with cleric

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by stony66 View Post
    there is no self heal in warrior specs so if you want self heal you have go with cleric
    Actually Paladin soul has a 100% self-heal on a 10 minute cooldown. Reaver has a bunch of life drains. That's about it though.

I haven't played Cleric, but I seriously doubt anything there could get closer to a Shadow Priest than a Chloromancer Mage.

As mentioned previously, Paladin has a self heal and paired with Reaver's soul sickness HoT warriors can do quite well with self healing in pve leveling.

This has been my build pretty much since beta.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1c...GszzcMGzso.xMo

Soulwalker

Paladins also have two different heals on blocks a couple tiers up the talent trees (31/x/x). It's not a flashy build like riftblade but will let you solo forever w/o drinking and multiple mobs are no problem. Anything goes wrong and you still have the 10 min full heal.

It would be nice though if warriors had some sort of ranged or heal build for a change of pace and/or for those bosses where melee gets the bone.

Shadowlander

For a class similar to a shadow priest you would want to be Chloro/lock. (Nice since its just been buffed by a ****ton).

Similarities include a form that you have to put up before fighting, your death dots will aoe heal for a small ammount, you have cooldowns and procs to watch, lots of dots, some casted nukes which can proc and be instant. You have the ability to take 80% less damage (DISPERSION!) and best of all while using your 80% damage you can still preform hostile actions.

I played a shadow priest for several years on WoW, and a chloro/lock is pretty much a carbon copy.
    Quiver @ Molinar
    <The Enclave>

For most, the first thing they put on in the morning is their underwear. I however put on my headset.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorlin View Post
    Hey Everyone, I am fairly new to Rift....so far have a mage that is Stormcaller/Elem/Dom in the mid 20's and I am having fun with that toon.

I have played WoW a long time, and my favorite classes there have been Retribution Paladin and Shadow Priest. I am a bit (understatement) overwhelmed with all of the choices in Rift....but also think the soul/calling system is awesome.

What would be similar class combinations in Rift? Ret Pally's use two-handed weapon...have some healing and buffing abilities, and they are primarily melee dps. I would assume a warrior, but then after reading some of the threads here, could see that a cleric class could be similar, as far as "feel".

Shadow Priest is a ranged spell caster, using dots, and some healing abilities as well. Again, because of the flexibility in classes, I could see either a mage or cleric could fill this as well.

Thanks!
    Ret pala: shaman/justicar/warden build

Shadow priest: inquisitor/justicar build.

So yeah, you can have both if you play a cleric.
    Last edited by Chomag; 06-28-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Shield of Telara

The Ret paladin feel your probably looking for is Shaman 31/Justicar 21/Inquisitor 14.
    Tsarin - Sunrest (PVP-RP) - Eth DPS Cleric (50) - Static

There are some self heals in the Warrior tree but they are generally quite limited and cannot compare to the Cleric builds. IMHO a Cleric will be a better choice for you.
    retired

Shadowlander

Beastmaster actually has a small self-heal on a low cooldown. The rest of warriors "heals" revolve around draining life or healing when hit (which isn't really a heal, its just mitigation). The only actual heal is in Beastmaster, and its pretty small, and in Paladin, which is a 10 min cooldown so not really a heal.
    Last edited by Goodtank; 06-28-2011 at 08:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast