+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Recommendations for a Rift noob

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple Irishae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    195

    Question Recommendations for a Rift noob

    Hello! Rift newbie here , starting out just in time for the 1.3 update.

    After spending a little time experimenting with classes the past few days and sifting through the forums here, I would greatly appreciate some suggestions for a more casual MMO player not interested in spending the next year of her life grinding for gear or otherwise. Been there, done that with Warhammer. I am open to any calling/soul combo, my concern is investing time in a character that is not “ZOMG that used to viable last week, but totally sux now.” Obviously things change over time, but would prefer to not go against the grain from the start.

    - I typically enjoy DPS (melee or mage) pet classes or paladin melee+healing types. However, being a stealthy rogue has appealed to me more and more lately….
    - I have access to a pocket healer (that’s what significant others are for ).
    - Love PVE for the questing/story and PVP for the competition/teamwork – with the ability to have multiple roles per character, would I be able to do both? Or would it be better to have a completely different character for each?

    Thanks so much for reading.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    10

    Default

    With the ability to have 5 different builds, there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to fulfill many different roles with a simple click of your mouse!

    It really depends on what calling looks most interesting to you. Here are some of my recommendations:

    Cleric: EASIEST calling to level IMHO. You can Tank, mDPS, rDPS, Heal MANY different ways, or even run support. The soul build I recommend is a Inquisitor/Justicar/Sent. Inq being your primary soul, dropping most of your points in here. 10 points in Justicar for the AMAZING self heals (11 if you want reparation). 0 in sent for the instant self heal which saves soo many lives. With this build I could easily take on 3-4 equal level mobs safely, and 7-8 if I was careful. At 31 a build like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10drj.VekbMt0az.Vuz

    Mage: Most people say a Necro/Lock build is best, but I think Ele/Chloro is a little easier and more fun. Both are totally viable and up to the player. I just didn't want to look at an ugly undead thing my entire way to 50 :P.

    Rogue: This is where I may get flamed, but I leveled my rogue 1-24 as Bard/Range/x because you just cannot die! It's impossible! From there 24-30 I went Ranger/Sin for the better pet from Ranger and the poison from Assassin which is beautiful. And 30+ I am going a BD/RS/Sin build which is pretty much easymode at this point.

    Warrior: No clue breh, good luck with this one :P!


    Hope that's some help! Just my recommendations!

  3. #3
    Champion AngelOfTheGuardians's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    596

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pragious View Post
    With the ability to have 5 different builds, there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to fulfill many different roles with a simple click of your mouse!

    It really depends on what calling looks most interesting to you. Here are some of my recommendations:

    Cleric: EASIEST calling to level IMHO. You can Tank, mDPS, rDPS, Heal MANY different ways, or even run support. The soul build I recommend is a Inquisitor/Justicar/Sent. Inq being your primary soul, dropping most of your points in here. 10 points in Justicar for the AMAZING self heals (11 if you want reparation). 0 in sent for the instant self heal which saves soo many lives. With this build I could easily take on 3-4 equal level mobs safely, and 7-8 if I was careful. At 31 a build like this http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=10drj.VekbMt0az.Vuz

    Mage: Most people say a Necro/Lock build is best, but I think Ele/Chloro is a little easier and more fun. Both are totally viable and up to the player. I just didn't want to look at an ugly undead thing my entire way to 50 :P.

    Rogue: This is where I may get flamed, but I leveled my rogue 1-24 as Bard/Range/x because you just cannot die! It's impossible! From there 24-30 I went Ranger/Sin for the better pet from Ranger and the poison from Assassin which is beautiful. And 30+ I am going a BD/RS/Sin build which is pretty much easymode at this point.

    Warrior: No clue breh, good luck with this one :P!


    Hope that's some help! Just my recommendations!
    For a warrior, paragon/riftblade (6)/champion is a good leveling and PvP build. At least it is in the low levels. I'm level 22 at the moment so I don't know if it doesn't hold up in the higher levels.

    Paragon and Champion are the main specs. The 6 in Riftblade is for the ranged slow (but you also get a fiery burst and a weapon enchant). Void Knight might also be good for the mana drain finisher and 25% chance mana drain (50% of damage done) on all attacks save the finisher which is a 100% damage drain and drains 100% of the time it hits. That would replace Riftblade of course. Champion is too good to pass up in my opinion.
    Last edited by AngelOfTheGuardians; 06-26-2011 at 07:35 PM.

  4. #4
    Shadowlander shortbuss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    cleric druid/shaman/inquis is nice has some self healing and good DPS output though it is dependant on your pet. Necro/lock for mage is nice and fun in PVP. If you want large aoe grinding capability with a class you can swap for more dps friendly builds later warrior paladin/reaver is nice when yo uhit 50 just take the FOTM build for warrior. The warrior buld is nice since you can help heal yourself while keeping aggro and damaging large numbers of mobs. One character will work, just have to decide on what kind of class you want. I started with a warrior and still love the class even if it does seem like a glass cannon for pure DPS, went to a mage which is very nice since it has so much you can do with it, heal, support or DPS. Cleric is nice and versatile as well but as far as DPS it is close but not quite as high as the other callings, depends on gear build and skill. The great thing here is there are so many combinatinos you can basically pick whatever you want and still accomplish your goals.
    Last edited by shortbuss; 06-26-2011 at 08:23 PM.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    223

    Default

    Hi, and welcome to Rift!

    Quote Originally Posted by Irishae View Post
    - I typically enjoy DPS (melee or mage) pet classes or paladin melee+healing types. However, being a stealthy rogue has appealed to me more and more lately….
    DPS pet classes =>
    - Warrior, beastmaster
    - Rogue, ranger
    - Cleric, druid
    - Mage, elementalist or necromancer

    paladin melee+healing types =>
    - Cleric, justicar + shaman and/or druid

    stealthy rogue =>
    - Rogue, assassin or nightblade

    Druid is a bit weird, in the "not usual" sense, but coupled with some justicar it can act as dps pet class with melee healing.

    On the other hand you can pick ranger and one of the stealthy types as a rogue, either in different roles, or in the same one and go for the dps pet class + stealthy style.

    So I guess go for cleric or rogue and try stuff out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Irishae View Post
    - Love PVE for the questing/story and PVP for the competition/teamwork – with the ability to have multiple roles per character, would I be able to do both? Or would it be better to have a completely different character for each?
    You can do both on the same char easily, Rift was well designed for this.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple Irishae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the detailed replies, it's been very helpful!

    So far in PVE I've tried the the Necro/Warlock, Druid/Shaman/Inquis, and Ranger/MM/Assassin. I'm really enjoying the Ranger build, at least for these early levels. It seems like a lot of players do.

    Overall, I’m thinking rogue might be the way to go for my first Rift character. Again, thanks for helping a newbie!

  7. #7
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Word of advice: experiment outside of your comfort zone. I leveled a rogue almost entirely as ranger, always had the pet helping me out, and leveling was so easy it became repetitious and boring.

    Once I tried experimenting with different builds and different strategies, not only did questing become a lot more fun, but just the different ways of moving around and dealing with the environments was fun. Adding riftstalker into builds for teleporting, using bladedancer for a charge, and using assassin or nightblade to have stealth and saps.

    Playing as a marksman right now and not only is it fun to fight things, but running and jumping and teleporting are providing for interesting situations.

    Anyway, good luck to you, I'm sure you'll be addicted to role building and experimenting in no time.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts