+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Crafting Classes: What's fun to make?

Default Crafting Classes: What's fun to make?

It seems like there's no real information on crafting yet for this game, except to say that there will be "something"?

A lot of players of these games really enjoy crafting. Done right, and it can be a sub-game of it's own. In Vanguard, I never ended up touching the adventure content because crafting (and also diplomacy!) were so engaging.

So, what's fun to make?

IMO: Permanent Items. Things that are useful to yourself, but also to other players. Armor, weapons, jewelry, but also housing items, transportation, etc... Vanguard's system of crafting was terrific in that you could make really unique items, by combining ingredients in different ways than the other crafters do. Vanguard's system of crafting failed in that the armor was so terrific that it felt like there was no reason to go to dungeons except to obtain fodder for the crafters to break down into the good stuff..., thus players got "all dressed up with no place to go". It's a tough balance.

If the crafter economy relies on consumables, ultimately, I think people will find it grindy and boring. Players who don't craft would hate having to rely on crafters for massive quantities of arrows, potions, food, etc..., and the crafters grow frustrated making low-rent blase' items that could just as easily be on a NPC vendors' display. Very few people would really look forward to logging in to a game week after week if they had to craft for a few hours just to get the supplies they burn through in a few hours of dungeoneering. If the game population is asking for consumable items, then you did something wrong with the permanent ones, and they are simply desperate for a market for their hard-earned skills.
    Last edited by Torrent; 08-13-2010 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Some information has started to come out. Check out the latest previews on MMORPG and Ten Ton Hammer for example.

You will be able to choose up to a total of 3 Harvesting/Crafting skills - any combination for a total of 3. You will also be able to change them out (losing what you trained up obviously).

So far there is "Butchering, Mining, Gathering" as definitely in and it was also stated that all the basic gathering and crafting skills will be in the game.
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

My favorite thing to craft so far has been furniture for EQ2.

While I do craft other things, none of them ever satisfied my creative abilities like being a carpenter did. Probably because with furniture I could make it, place it, and decorate my home or another player's home in many many different ways. No two houses I decorated looked the same and I have changed my decor often as new items have been added to the game. I think ultimately it comes down to a sense of being able to have a permanent affect in shaping something in the game, even if it is only someone's house.

Another crafting type experience I rather enjoyed was the planting profession in Runes of Magic. You could plant seed in planter pots and keep them watered and fertilized in your house. They would grow slowly over time, if you cared for them, or turn brown and die if you didn't. It was a bit of a time sink, but always brought you back to the game..."oh crap I need to log into RoM, my plants need water" After a couple of days (growing time decreased as you became more skilled), you could harvest your plants and depending on the type of seed you used you would get raw materials for selling to other crafters. It was a cool concept and kind of fun, plus the plants looked really pretty in your house.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 08-13-2010 at 04:28 PM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrin View Post
    My favorite thing to craft so far has been furniture for EQ2.

While I do craft other things, none of them ever satisfied my creative abilities like being a carpenter did. Probably because with furniture I could make it, place it, and decorate my home or another player's home in many many different ways. No two houses I decorated looked the same and I have changed my decor often as new items have been added to the game. I think ultimately it comes down to a sense of being able to have a permanent affect in shaping something in the game, even if it is only someone's house.

Another crafting type experience I rather enjoyed was the planting profession in Runes of Magic. You could plant seed in planter pots and keep them watered and fertilized in your house. They would grow slowly over time, if you cared for them, or turn brown and die if you didn't. It was a bit of a time sink, but always brought you back to the game..."oh crap I need to log into RoM, my plants need water" After a couple of days (growing time decreased as you became more skilled), you could harvest your plants and depending on the type of seed you used you would get raw materials for selling to other crafters. It was a cool concept and kind of fun, plus the plants looked really pretty in your house.
    I have to echo your sentiments here. I LOVED my carpenter the best of them all. Nothing like furnishing your houses. Since housing, so far, will not be in at launch, it's kinda sad.

I'm guessing we will have standard armor crafting (I'm lumping tailoring here), weaponsmith and cook. Not sure where they will go, as we all know where they could go from other games. So far with the announced skills it sounds very WoWish.

I think crafting should bring the community together. The carpenter in EverQuest II (crafting furniture for player houses) was the perfect example - most furniture could only be made by the carpenter so if you wanted a house chances are you went through one or more carpenters to furnish it. Even though I sometimes contacted players to make spell upgrades, carpenters were the only crafters I consistently added to my friends list and personally contacted when I was in need of furniture.

I also believe crafting should not be something as trivial as hitting the combine button - there should be something more to it. I'm not sure why, in most games, you can make a sword by putting a brick of iron-ore and some coal in a forge. I think EverQuest II went over the top at release, but they required players to first craft the hilt, blade, balancing weight, etc. before they could put it all together for their sword. Most combines should be at least 2 combines no more than 3, in my opinion. It's not much harder to use your armor-smith skills to combine some leather and metal together to make a sword handle and THEN combine that handle with iron-ore and coal to make a sword - and it adds a little bit more realism and pride to your work.

edit: Totally forgot my original example until after I hit the submit button - the "Proof is in the Pudding" quest for EverQuest II which required crafters to have a component crafted from each crafter class before they could turn it all in for a crafter cloak. I think games need more of these things to bring the community together.

I'd have to say my favorite crafting always comes back to Blacksmithing and it's variant's (armorsmithing and weaponsmithing) for primary purposes.

The fact that i've done some actual blacksmithing actually helps - it's a fun relaxing pastime (it really is). It's a good meditation tool and you can actually CREATE something out of a block of nothing.

I also enjoyed Carpentry in EQ2 - wanted to make each of the unique things available - as long as it looked good and appropriate for the style i was trying to do.

I would like to see Harvesting being split separately from the Crafting skills tho - 3 of each would be appropriate.
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

Fishing is a MUST in the game!

Have to echo the sentiments above, however I do not agree that consumables are grindy and boring; after all, making alchemical potions and food are some of my favourite things to do.

I was a carpenter on EQ2 release (when they were still talking about boats) but it's a great way to show how crafting can really evolve via player input, as it was utterly useless before the extensive household items were offered. If it wasn't strongboxes, it wasn't worth making. So as far as I'm concerned, what makes crafting boring is making items no one wants or needs, and it's important that developers take this into account.

There's been other threads on this, and being able to deconstruct items so you don't flood the market with stuff no one needs and yet still skill up is something I and other folks have mentioned, and also liking to do something other than just click combine, including finding formulations for ourselves.

I'm certainly looking forward to what is on offer - it sounds as if they're still working on it at the moment, only doing the gathering with no actual items in yet, so hopefully lots of good feedback is going into what's useful and what isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Vembumees87 View Post
    Fishing is a MUST in the game!
    Not necessarily, it is not original.

I'm sure fishing will tie in with butchering or gathering, they've still hardly said anything about their gathering proffs but i highly doubt fishing will not be included somewhere.
    Don't try to save yourself, the circle is complete.

I want Masonry and Carpentry myself, want to be able to build walls, roads, castles, buildings, etc.

I know none of this will be in though

What I am extremely TIRED of is weaponsmithing, you spec into it, and can only make 1 item for yourself every 10 or so levels, basically its only there to make others items.

What I am hoping for is that there is a need to use more then 1 type of weapon, slash, pierce, fire, electric etc, then weaponsmith would a viable spec
    Greke- Sab/NB/Infl and RS/BD/Bard
    Magus Imperialis Magicus- Briarcliffe Server- PVP

I like a mix of permanent and consumable items. I loved my alchemist in EQ2. Good money in supplying poisons and potions to the market place since they are consumed and then needed again. Weapons, armor, furniture, adornments and other permenant items are also obviously very desireable for the adventuring community.

I also like when crafting crosses over into adventuring. Rare craftable drops in heroic and raid zones for instance are pretty exciting to an adventuring crafter. If crafting and harvesting have an effect on pvp, heroic content and raiding then I think you will tend to have a larger crafting community. Say for instance that you kill a named dragon, and a maxed out butcher has a small chance at harvesting it's heart which can be used to make a powerful poison or something. I think crafting has the potential to be a very exciting part of any well designed game world.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrdynn View Post
    What I am extremely TIRED of is weaponsmithing, you spec into it, and can only make 1 item for yourself every 10 or so levels, basically its only there to make others items.

What I am hoping for is that there is a need to use more then 1 type of weapon, slash, pierce, fire, electric etc, then weaponsmith would a viable spec
    I agree with you Myrdynn. One possible way to make weaponsmithing more desireable and profitable might be to allow a weaponsmith to sharpen and/or balance looted weapons adding a % or fixed amount of damage to them. You could also make recipes for weapon adornments that only weaponsmiths could create.

I would like to see farming in the game.

I want to See Alchemy in the game for the ability to Make Items that all classes can use to Keep the game interesting and throw off any opponent in cases of RVR, PVP, Ect...

I think Poison is something that should be made applicable to weapons like swords, daggers, arrows, & bolts.

Smoke bombs for covering retreats or attacks. Exsplosion potions for attacks. Heal and cure potions for those classes that don't have a direct method of healing or curing themselves.

As for potions that temperoraly alter stats I don't care too much. I am looking for things that are far more useful.

I am also Hoping for a charater to adenture in to totaly unrelated mulity crafting classes. Such as the Alchemy and say Weapon crafting. Now on the other hand I think If you are a smith. your a smith. Don't break it down to weapons and armor and tinkering these 3 should all be clumped together.

Nemesis

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast