+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The I Hate Hybrid Thread

Rift Master

Default The I Hate Hybrid Thread

Don't hate hybrids per say, rather only want to play souls that have no less than 31 points in them and deliver top performance -or withing 2% - 3%.

Though we have 51 builds within each class that does really well, hybrids seem to be the best hands down.

Would you like to see more +31 builds shine?

Rift Disciple

It is really hard to actually make 51 specs be as good as 3x/3x. Lets say Necro/Lock gets 65 of each tree, it is rather impossible to make 51 lock be as good as it without pushing up the hybrid build higher and making it overpowered. The only way that is possible if the 51 pointers totally changed how the spec is played and that is either impossible or unwanted.
    Last edited by ilialilov; 06-22-2011 at 03:12 AM.

Telaran

The game is about swapping around the souls of dead heros and combining them into one uberHero. It feels like hybrids should always be more powerful than more single-minded specs.

Rift Master

Not 1 spec, we have enough 51 builds -or could use one or two more- its more about how crap the 31 talents are really compared to a 2x/2x/xx build.

Why do 2x/2x/xx builds out play 31/xx/xx? Simple, getting a 31 you net an aggregate negative.

This has nothing to do with Trion internal testing, its community perception...

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Not 1 spec, we have enough 51 builds -or could use one or two more- its more about how crap the 31 talents are really compared to a 2x/2x/xx build.

Why do 2x/2x/xx builds out play 31/xx/xx? Simple, getting a 31 you net an aggregate negative.

This has nothing to do with Trion internal testing, its community perception...
    storm caller: Lightning storm
    elementalist: intensify elements
    assassin: Slip away
    shaman: rage of the north
    inquisitor: Circle of oblivion
    ranger: blood raptor
    champion: Titan strike

all of these abilities are so good.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Vandrin View Post
    storm caller: Lightning storm
    elementalist: intensify elements
    assassin: Slip away
    shaman: rage of the north
    inquisitor: Circle of oblivion
    ranger: blood raptor
    champion: Titan strike

all of these abilities are so good.
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Trion has a ton of work left on builds. This is not the community's perception, this is objective balance issues.

The reality is that most pure builds are terrible because they lack significant passives to justify the excess of points. If the class lacks a strong passive that increases to 51 points, you shouldn't ever put all points into.

Since many of the pure builds have terrible passives, you're typically best meeting minimum requirements for key abilities then fill out the rest with passives. (hint, abilities with less than an 8% uptime that give you ~3 extra crits every minute and a half are not considered key abilities.)

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by MacSomething View Post
    The game is about swapping around the souls of dead heros and combining them into one uberHero. It feels like hybrids should always be more powerful than more single-minded specs.
    I actually like that rationale - it's basically what I've thought, but put nice and simply in terms of game fluff.
    Ceribaen, formerly of Nyx (D).
    Now residing on Seastone.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Cempa View Post
    Don't hate hybrids per say, rather only want to play souls that have no less than 31 points in them and deliver top performance -or withing 2% - 3%.

Though we have 51 builds within each class that does really well, hybrids seem to be the best hands down.

Would you like to see more +31 builds shine?
    Try a Rogue. There are a number of souls where 31+ points will outperform a hybrid.

I grant you, a lot of the 31 point talents are ****, but that's true of every soul. In my experience, at least 50% of the game's 31 point talents have nothing to do with the tree they're in.
    Last edited by Ampere; 06-22-2011 at 11:09 AM.
    Kashta, 50 Rogue / Gwythiant, 41 Cleric / Ampere, 37 Mage

Telaran

Personally, I would like to see more 51 point abilities that get used on a regular basis instead of once every 2+ minutes. The reason hybrid builds are better in general is because they don't waste talent points. For instance, look at the cookie cutter 31 druid/24 shaman/11 inquisitor build. Every single one of those points is useful for increasing the dps output of the build. The 50 druid/16 shaman build is worse because you're wasting points in the druid tree that do absolutely nothing to increase your dps (except the passive bonus to pet damage), and any 51 druid build is just a joke because all you get is an ability with a long cooldown, and you lose out on jolt which is much better dps.

I love Hybrids. Until my warrior was recently nerfed in his damage (SLI EFFU) I use to pvp the shiz out of him and he was pure hybrid.

+ Reply to Thread